HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:51 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,715 Posts
John, familiar with your area, have some lake property up by Minocqua..
chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:13 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
Yup, the mod jet from Steve,or the Graupner jet, there are bushings..
Personally, I use 4400ma 3S, gives me decent run time..
Yup, I'd say the bushing as on Steve's or Graupner's drives is the minimum with the motor John's planning, and if I was running a motor like that I'd probably be thinking of something approaching 4400's as well.

As you say, the stock rear bushing gets water lube/cooling. The only reason I replaced mine with an oilite was because I went for the Graupner shaft/impeller which is 3mm so it had to be done. I put my front oilite bushing in from the dry side, drilling out to fit. Despite having done away with the stock rubber seal I dont get much water ingress. Good fit between shaft and bearing, plenty of marine grease and the fact the water's in a hurry to go out the back, I guess.
madbugger is offline Find More Posts by madbugger
Last edited by madbugger; Jan 25, 2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:07 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,425 Posts
Thanks all for the Great welcome!

Chidago; I am only 45-50 miles from Minocqua and get tricked into a pizza at Monical's or a New York Strip at Delaney's/Blink Bonnie at least a few times during the year. If you haven't taken the Fall ride between Tomahawk and Merrill on hwy 107 you haven't see fall colors.

I'm getting the impression that the ADS400L I picked out may be a little hot on 3S, how about 2S with that motor?

How about mounting a bearing between the motor coupling and the jet housing by either drilling the housing just enough to glue the bearing in, or actually just epoxying it to the housing on the motor side?

Is Ebay NQD Tear Into for $48 w free shipping still the best place for the basic boat and drive?

I got an Ali Baba quote on them for $14.95 each, but I think they wanted to sell me a dozen as a sample and an agreement for thousands more in the future, and I never could get through the language barrier on shipping costs.

Thanks again for quick friendly answers for a newbie jetter.

John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:11 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,715 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOO.. this is the ONLY way to go..a blank page, and a much nicer rig..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170937930545...84.m1438.l2649

I just did the build on this a few pages back..
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:15 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,715 Posts
John, when my kids were growing up, we spent summers there, and snowmobiled every winter, plus, yeah, lotta good riding in the fall there..

We are on Fence lake, lac du flambeau chain..bout 3 miles out of the town of
lac du flambeau.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:15 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
NOOOOOOOOOOOO.. this is the ONLY way to go..a blank page, and a much nicer rig..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170937930545...84.m1438.l2649

I just did the build on this a few pages back..
Looks Super nice, but I could not quite add up what was included and what was not in that offering, and I think I might need to sneak this project in under $200 total. Just to keep it under "her" radar.

I understand that we are pretty close to AU= US dollars.

John
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:19 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,715 Posts
This is the boat that Steve copied from the nqd..lot less work, and a much better result.

His version of the jet has bushings for and aft, as does the graupner mini jet, available here..

http://www.v-eastonline.com/categori...ves-and-parts/

Tell Sandy I recommended you if you go this way..hes in the US, florida
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:20 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,715 Posts
Its gonna be 93 bucks all in with shipping..
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:35 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Its gonna be 93 bucks all in with shipping..
Excuse me! I totally understand that he will send and ship me an upper and lower hull with a gear house cover for $93. I don't see where that includes a jet drive, a watercooled motor, watercooled ESC.

I am starting to feel like I am talking to the Ali Baba Chinese when it all sounds too good to be true and then some other parts are necessary to be "93 bucks all in with shipping".

Thanks though, I bet his hull, deck and deck closure are topnotch in every way, as well as his other hopups to the jetdrive and accessories. Just that I am trying to do this decent, but maybe not Rolls Royce for right now.

John
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:37 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,715 Posts
Yeah, that price is the hull, deck, hatch, driver heads, seal, and roll bar..no motor, jet, esc..

All in for the BOAT
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:44 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
1,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
I'm getting the impression that the ADS400L I picked out may be a little hot on 3S, how about 2S with that motor?
John in Merrill
I think on 2S it will be a bit slow. You want something in the 3000-3500 range for easy reliable operation on 3S.

Trying to find something in stock on Hobbyking, this one might work:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Inrunner.html

You can add water cooling by wrapping it with some aluminum tube, (filled with salt and pinched shut while you wrap so it doesn't compress) or just find a 28mm cooling jacket.
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:06 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,715 Posts
Hey Fire, hope you take as good of summer pics..I'll need a new desktop for summer..
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:08 AM
Fix it till its broke!
United Kingdom, Scotland, North Ayrshire
Joined Feb 2010
842 Posts
has no one else tried a gyro on the steering? it handles like its on rails just point it in a direction over any water and it goes. i just couldn't keep the thing waterproof so it went a bit haywire.
geofrancis is offline Find More Posts by geofrancis
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:07 AM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
Thanks though, I bet his hull, deck and deck closure are topnotch in every way, as well as his other hopups to the jetdrive and accessories.
Steve's has a better way of keeping the lid closed and the bushed drive is a big plus as is the facility to place your equipment to your liking before closing it up but... if you want to keep costs to a minimum the stock boat is probably the way to go. Particularly if you can get it for $48. You can use 1/8 brass tubing (ID just happens to be 2.3mm which is the size of the stock shaft) to bush the drive. If you can find an oilite flanged bushing with that ID you can fit it instead (with some drilling from the dry side of the jet unit) and glue it in with a good 24hour type epoxy, but it may be difficult to source such a thing. I used oilite bushings but in a 3mm ID size because I changed to the slightly better Graupner shaft which is 3mm. Bearings/bushings in that larger ID can be sourced for pennies. The only thing about using a BEARING as you propose is that unless it's fully shielded it will leak water into the boat. From my (admittedly limited) experience, the bushing won't.

Either way, listen to Fire. Running your original choice of motor on 2s is not the way to go. If you go for something like the motor Fire proposes then 2200 to 2700 lipos on 3s will give you what you want.
madbugger is offline Find More Posts by madbugger
Last edited by madbugger; Jan 25, 2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:15 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
4,970 Posts
Hi guys, John has reached out to us at MassiveRC to carry these boats and we're going to see what we can do. Boats are expensive to ship so at best we can match the China prices, but you'd get it shipped from the US. Realisticly, our prices would be $10 higher than what Bangood charges, but we'll have a better idea later on.

We're also looking at upgrading these with 2.4Ghz units from the new entry-level boat we'll be carrying. Of course, we won't carry these unless the manufacturer offers us a full line of spare parts. We need a barometer of what you're willing to pay to get these from a US source. We need to sell a minimum of 50\mo to really make carrying these realistic.

I don't know if we'd be able to water test these like we flight test our quads as it's very time consuming (if not fun). We may be able to dry test them.

Thanks for your time and thoughts.
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: RC Logger Eye One Xtreme