HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:16 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,868 Posts
Well, the boat got here today, first thing I wanted to do, rediculous as it seems, is to mic the boat out, see if its square, run the laser down the bottom, look for hooks, etc.

The nqd is pretty much junk as far as consistant dimensions go, so, I wanted to see what I had here.

My personal background is a masters in mechanical engineering, so dimensions, machining, thought patterns to a end product, are VERY important to me.

First impressions after opening the box was the EXTENT he goes to to provide for every detail..individual packages, sealed, for all the accsy's,
finish on the plastic hull, deck, and hatch, OFF THE HOOK.

The CNC cut outs in the hull are flawless, no sharp edges, no flashing. fit of the deck to the hull, spot on.

Everything is here..water outlet, water line, GOOD hatch seal, new driver heads, etc.

The jet pictured is one of his modded jets, first, and most importantly, a FRONT bushing surface support, flex shaft thruout, to the rear bushing.

The grate he supplied, is SERIOUS stainless, all installed, aint gonna be bending that easy.. with the water inlet already installed in the bowl, also.

I will be adding as I build it, but, the most important thing I can say here is that Steve is CRAZY!!!

This is the best value out there $$ wise, he has the passion here, cant be about money, waay to much time in this in hands on things..

These are the type of men we need to support, to trade with, its BECAUSE of guys like this we have diverse hobbies, not just what kyosho, graupner, and hobby king bring us..they are about the money..this is about the FUN...

Once again, cant stress enough about supporting men like this..they come and go, because of non support, when they BUST THEIR to bring US fun toys, at a SUPER price. lets keep THIS guy around..let him feed his kids, or, he will have to get a REAL job..

And we all lose.

ps. the motor and esc are MY favorites, build to follow in the next days..

pps. as you see the roll bar is a dead fit for the nqd, that tiny one was my biggest dislike on it..no more!!
chidago is offline Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Jan 19, 2013 at 06:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:21 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,868 Posts
Mad, looks good, dont want too much, tho, when we were playin with the real ones, didnt work to well, add maybe 20% pad, you will be good, brother..
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:08 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,868 Posts
Kinda funny..just put the drivetrain in, so used to a lotta trouble, look at all this room..lol..

I'm gonna quit for the nite, but, Im thinkin that anyone with moderate hobby skills, this is 1 1/2 hr. build, not counting paint and glues drying.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:34 AM
Fix it till its broke!
United Kingdom, Scotland, North Ayrshire
Joined Feb 2010
910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbugger View Post
Chi - based on what I thought you had done to your hull i.e. taken out some of the dip between the 'v' and the drive pad - I thought I would try something similar on my (yet to be built) Steve hull. My 2 other jetboats are painted and full of hardware so I didn't fancy hot gunning them.

Anyway, here is the result. First pic is the stock Steve hull which is identical in outline to a stock NQD one. Second pic shows the change. I've just given it a quick sand which shows the areas which will need a glaze but it's not as rough as it appears in the pic and will soon tidy up. The red line was just put onto the pic in Photoshop to show up the area which is now flat. Probably too much but there we are. Too late now. I had to do that much to take out the reflex curve in the keel and to widen the pad in accordance with something you said when discussing hull forms with Heinric H
There are many things in life on which I wouldn't take your advice (like wives, for example ) but this is one on which you know a lot more than me.
What do you think
I flattened about 3/4's of an inch in front of the jet intake. i just used my hot air soldering station to heat up in front of the drive and the table as a flat surface to sit the boat on and flatten the bottom. it feels like its more stable while its accelerating and it has less cavitation at full speed.
geofrancis is offline Find More Posts by geofrancis
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:25 AM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
Kinda funny..just put the drivetrain in, so used to a lotta trouble, look at all this room..lol..
From what you found it seems Steve has improved his act over the last 3 months as far as both production and packaging. Yours seems faultess but my transom is a bit misshapen and although a battery tray was supposed to be included, it was absent. Didn't tackle him about it because I probably wouldn't have used it anyway. Although he provides a water outlet, it seems you are supposed to run the in-feed line through the transom without any support. I think that is a potential leak point so after I've sorted the transom I will be using a metal inlet as I've done on my NQD hulls.
Anyway, I'm glad you are able to make progess. Now all you need is the return of soft water
madbugger is offline Find More Posts by madbugger
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:27 AM
Ireland, Leitrim
Joined Oct 2009
610 Posts
Wow I've been missing out. Busy with work and with no laptop my time online is limited.

You're guys' boats are looking great and it's cool seeing the little changes you all keep coming up with. I'm looking forward to seeing your new build Chi.

i've unfortunately not got out with mine lately. Made a platform for the GoPro out of perspex though, so the next video should have some POV. The GoPro has the led back on right now so I'll remove that to shave a bit of weight.
Tiernan85 is offline Find More Posts by Tiernan85
Last edited by Tiernan85; Jan 20, 2013 at 07:37 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:04 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,868 Posts
Mad, soft water is a ways away yet.. water inlet hose being silicone, seals itself, as long as the hose is a bit bigger than the entry hole, it is its own gasket, dont forget..

T, cam looks good..does it make it top heavy, tho?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Jan 20, 2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:35 AM
Ireland, Leitrim
Joined Oct 2009
610 Posts
Cam was alright, I can tell it adds some weight obviously, and in the water it does cause it to be a little more rocky, but surprisingly enough, it still ran quite well. It was a little choppy on the water today, so a calm day will yield better results.

Videos uploading now
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:15 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Dec 2012
41 Posts
Chi- new boat looks likes its going to be great. what did you use to fix the hole in the bottom of your other boat? i have 2 proboat duck drives sitting around and converting an old koyosho yacht to twin jets and need to fill in the old v drive and rudder setup. thanks.
ScubaruSteve is offline Find More Posts by ScubaruSteve
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:01 PM
Kamikaze pilot
Sweden, Västernorrland County, Sundsvall
Joined Apr 2005
36 Posts
Name: Jet sprint sida.jpg
Views: 56
Size: 85.0 KB
Description:

Name: Jet sprint för.jpg
Views: 62
Size: 146.2 KB
Description:

Name: Jet sprint front perspektiv.jpg
Views: 54
Size: 130.9 KB
Description:

Name: Jet sprint akter perspektiv.jpg
Views: 51
Size: 89.0 KB
Description:

With all the activity on this thread i felt i had to get back in the game with my boat.

Just made the deck but im not sure i will keep the angle all the way back, depends on how i will solve the hatch part.
On my small electric GHZ boats i use tape to make it totally watertight so maby thats the way this will have it but with a detailed part covering it.
Heinrich H is offline Find More Posts by Heinrich H
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:08 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,868 Posts
Scub, because its plastic, and has to flex, I used a epoxy, once the jet was in, I reglazed it with filler, and spot painted it back in..

If you are workin on plastic, a GOOD, key word good, 2 part epoxy will do the best, its sandable, and paintable..just acetone the plastic first if you want a good bond..on my boat, the hole filling and the jet are held in by one single pour of epoxy..so there aint gonna be no issues..I am more used to workin with fiberglass hulls, lot more time and effort there, this is kinda nice..

Throw us a few pics, so we can see whatcha got, sounds like a decent project.

T ! gotta see the vids..
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:08 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,868 Posts
Hein, cant wait to see it..

RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:10 PM
Ireland, Leitrim
Joined Oct 2009
610 Posts
Ok here's one vid, the other is still loading.

NQD Jet Boat with GoPro (4 min 42 sec)
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:41 PM
Ireland, Leitrim
Joined Oct 2009
610 Posts
Here's the second one with the camera facing backwards. Part way through i get temporarily hung up on a rope for a bouy but fortunately got off without any trouble.

NQD Jet Boat - GoPro reversed (2 min 19 sec)
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:11 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,868 Posts
Good work, T, cams doin its job.. Ya know, BESIDE puttin me inna good mood, watchin the vids like that give insight to how fast, and hard, these little suckers can spin and turn..the side g force gotta be huge..lol. they move some water too..thanks again, T.

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Jan 20, 2013 at 06:51 PM.