HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:34 PM
Joined Sep 2012
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7car7 View Post
From what I've gathered from others here, it seems that the best KV is between 2000 and 3200 or so. And run on 3 cell. When you start getting up into the ducted fan motors, like the one you listed, you will be forced to use 2 cell, and it might not have the performance you'd be wanting.

I was not able to find a HK motor I wanted at the time, so I went to Ebay, got a 2100(apprx?). I'm happy with it, but if I was to do it all over again, I'd try to find a 3000 for more speed in the lakes. The 2000 range motor is very adequate for rivers as far as I'm concerned.
oh ok, I was going on suggestions from others on here, saying that most people on here ran that motor... I liked it because it had the same shaft dia.
Nebey is offline Find More Posts by Nebey
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:42 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
7,376 Posts
Well, you have all seen mine run on GPS, im a 3900kv, 3S..The only difference is the Graupner pump, which the nqd was copied from..

Dont base your motor on shaft, couplers, and u joints are readily around..
chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:19 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2006
1,474 Posts
Jet info

Mikedown is offline Find More Posts by Mikedown
Last edited by Mikedown; Dec 22, 2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:33 AM
Joined Sep 2012
74 Posts
Thanks guys, honestly RC Stuff has changed so much in the past 20 years or so... That's the last time I was really into it. While I understand the words and numbers you guys are saying, I don't always know how they relate to each other. I am looking for something fairly fast for use on a lake (mostly). More important than speed is reliability for me.
I am having a hard time piecing together which battery vs which motor and esc combo to use. What I came up with I pieced together from other posts, I am more than happy to choose different equipment.
Nebey is offline Find More Posts by Nebey
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:41 AM
Joined Jun 2012
63 Posts
I know the feeling I came back to the hobby after a 20+ year break about a year ago. It took me a while to get into all the new technology. Stuff I would have dreamed of in the 80's but would have bee to expensive
nickatredbox is offline Find More Posts by nickatredbox
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:42 AM
Joined Jun 2012
63 Posts
Its only a tiny water Pump but Its got an enormous flow. Cooling pump for Yellow Boat

Testing YB3 in the bath its totally mental on 6 cells 569 Watts flat out nearly emptied the bath should be amusing on the lake, that said at this power level it needs the motor cooling

Its made from an old servo motor motor a small brass impeller made from sheet brass and brass tube, soldered onto the pinion. The pinion is then secured with Locktight to the motor shaft. The shaft seal is from a non drip honey bottle glued on the end of the motor.The pump body is a part out of the top of a pump bottle soap dispenser, all held together with epoxy and Fiberglass.
Here it is running
The little pump shifts plenty of flow though the big pipes motor first them ESC a power test will be run to evaluate the performance of the cooling system, it seems to prime its self Ok. There is a rectangular scoop on the outside of the hull to help the flow when the boat is traveling. Having a pump means the temp won't overshoot after a fast run and stop like it would if it were only a scoop or tap from the jet unit nozzel.
Last edited by nickatredbox; Dec 19, 2012 at 04:54 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:33 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,376 Posts
Nebey,
I have been in hobbies off and on for over 20+ yrs too, but, not in this little venue, first time I saw a vid on these little boats, it cracked me up, figured I hadda have one..

Having had many years of owning, and racing jet boats, plus a engineering background, I also was looking more for a lake/crawl boat, with lake primary.

I decided on the Graupner jet, only because I could get parts quick, here in the US..werent a lotta places to get the nqd parts then.

I took the jet to a friend of mine's shop, and put the jet on his flow bench, to see what was possible..

Not wanting to spend huge money on this, I went with HK parts, first time ever for that for me.

The 3900kv motor has more torque than the 4800, and thats very relevant when a jet pump loads... 2S was not the rip I wanted, 3S works well, 4S is to much, was blowing u joints at will..lol

Once the jet reaches its max flow ability, more power does nothing but waste batt..no increase in speed..I use a on board gps, and my best numbers were after installing trim tabs to give me the best ride attitude, and clearancing the impeller to stator gap correctly, plus really finishing the flow path thru the jet well.

Hope this helps in some little way..
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Dec 19, 2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:31 AM
Washington State
Joined Oct 2007
1,262 Posts
Nick, you made the water pump from scratch? Very cool.
Now use a 3 channel radio and control a fire hose to squirt ducks.
7car7 is offline Find More Posts by 7car7
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:47 PM
Joined Jun 2012
63 Posts
I just like making things I am regressing to my childhood it seems. Funny 7car7 should say about the ducks some local ranted at me on You tube for making noise and disturbing the native birds in one of my FPV videos with no birds to be seen. The miserable sod failed to comprehend that the motor sounds like an F1 car from the on board mic but the boat is practically silent from the shore. And insisted I was disturbing birds that were never present.
Last edited by nickatredbox; Dec 19, 2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:04 PM
Ireland, Leitrim
Joined Oct 2009
622 Posts
There's always someone who can't bare to see anyone else enjoying themselves.

Got out with my little boat today. We've had a good bit of rain so my little river was flowing pretty nicely. It's a bit rough and wouldn't be easy to catch the boat if it flipped so I thought I had come up with a fool proof plan to run and save the boat if she flipped.

I stuck my fishing pole in the bank and tied the line to the top of the cage. Let the line loose and thought to myself "what could go wrong". Haha, famous last words all too many times I'm sure. Well after about a minute the line got tangled on a branch under the water and anchored the boat on it's side. I grabbed the fishing rod to reel it in as I had planned and the line let loose and the boat went into the brush. I couldn't reel it in though cause the line was still stuck under the branch and the boat was now under water. I made my way through a bunch of rose bushes and after about 10 minutes finally got the boat out from under the water. The inside of the boat was a swimming pool for the electronics... I drained all the water and packed up to move to some still water New battery in and all was fine though. Ran through 3 packs afterwards without a hiccup. All in all the boat still works as it did at the start and only my ego is damaged from thinking I was oh so smart with my fool proof plan lol.

I have a video uploading from a bit of the river and than more on the big river(a still area).
Tiernan85 is offline Find More Posts by Tiernan85
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:45 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,376 Posts
T, I'm jealous..I STILL have to find a good stream...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:09 PM
Joined Jun 2012
63 Posts
Excellent boat recovery story Tiernan85 I like running in the surf as Sumner beach nearby because you can just walk out an fetch it if it capsizes

We don't suffer with these miserable people as much here in New Zealand, I'm originally from England where there is always someone (miserable) who wants to get in your business. Maybe my complainant is a POM like me.

The lake/pond I sometimes run in has a an island, when the horses from the riding club go in they are up to their belly so its not too deep and very shallow at the edge. I was leaning over tho get the boat and lost balance so rather than fall flat on my face in the water, I flung my arms back dropping the remote behind me in the process. So now I'm flat on my back a a passing horse rider is having a laugh, and the boat has shot of at full throttle and beached it self on the island.

The kid on the horse eventually stopped laughing and offered to wade over and fetch it but her mummykins scotched that plan. So rather than abandon Yellow Boat I decided to strip to my turquoise pants and wade out myself, The rear FPV camera on the boat was still running so it filmed me crossing the water unlike Jesus I was partially immersed. Friends who have seen the video nearly hemorrhage they laughed so much an overweight middle aged guy walking across a small lake is apparently hilarious it seems? I didn't post it on You Tube as it may scare children
Last edited by nickatredbox; Dec 19, 2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:29 PM
Joined Jun 2012
63 Posts
Nebey: One tip I would offer is get a watt meter, its all guess work without one
Hobby King sell this one and it seems to be quite a good device for under $20

I have found it great and if you ever build a plane and need to match props correctly its practically a must have tool
Last edited by nickatredbox; Dec 19, 2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:46 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,376 Posts
What he said..

RCG Plus Member