HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:31 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,671 Posts
H., the inner set of chines need to go..at the ride pad..which should be a little wider, not just flat for the jet intake, should be flat about 15% either side of the jet intake grate area..smooth the ramp coming down from the bow to the pad..round it out..water flows much better over rounded surfaces, you dont want a hard break, or water will flow by it, and create a air pocket, think of ventilated hulls, and what causes the vent area..hard angles.
chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:56 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
1,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
LOL..Fire, did that last nite, thanks for thinkin about it..
What about this:

Glue a block on top of the nozzle, notch the block and the nozzle for the rudder, and drive a pin through the block to hold the rudder and act as a pivot. Also put a pin in the rudder just below the nozzle to keep it from swinging up. In case of impact, the lower pin bends the nozzle plastic out of the way and the rudder swings up.
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:08 AM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk989 View Post
What about this:
This is similar to the way rudders are mounted on many multi-racing and hydro models, in the UK at least. With a breakaway bottom pin. Apart from the partial blockage of the nozzle by the rudder post, I have been racking my brains for a reason why your ingenious solution wouldn't work on a jet boat.

Can't think of one
madbugger is offline Find More Posts by madbugger
Last edited by madbugger; Nov 23, 2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:33 AM
Joined Jun 2012
71 Posts
The hull design can be copied from..bad to say .. but crashes of real boats..

The copy should be from the mod class / super modified , like ours..!!!!

http://www.defordphoto.com/USSBA2012...dp6584_std.jpg

or something like
Motovated Design and Analysis Superboat Impeller Animation (0 min 52 sec)

If it works in our 1/24 scale is just trial and ..
RimRc is offline Find More Posts by RimRc
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:13 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RimRc View Post
If it works in our 1/24 scale is just trial and ..
Awesome pic and vid, thank you.
But why why this talk of 1/24 scale? The model is sold as 1/25 scale but I took heed of your post about using alternative driver heads in 1/10 scale and fitted some open-face helmets heads in that scale, since most of the full-size crew seemed to use open-face helmets. They are a little over-scale but not by much.
Based on the crew torsos they could never have been 1/25 scale, so I don't know where the idea in most advertising that they are 1/25 scale originally came from.

Based on the full-size spint boats, which use 17 foot hulls, the model is 1/12.3, call it 1/12 scale.
Last edited by madbugger; Nov 23, 2012 at 03:42 PM. Reason: I
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:29 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,671 Posts
Rim, nice breakdown of the 3 stage..

Fire, heres the end result..cant try it myself, as the nozzle from nqd doesnt match to the graupner.

I talked to my plastics guy, matched the plastic, slotted the nozzle, plastic welded the fin to the bowl,ground and sanded inner weld to match nozzle curvature, built up some additional plastic on the outside of the bowl, as that now is a big weak spot, on a rudder hit.. the rudder fin will give, side to side.

Front impact, probably take the nozzle off the jet..

But, no obstruction in the flow, and technically, its all 1 piece.

Fin/rudder scaled from a 175 hp Merc outboard lower unit fin, to match scale length of the boat. got nothin else to go by..aint gonna do the water math..
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Nov 23, 2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:42 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,671 Posts
Mad, where do you see obsession on 1/25th? just term used to descibe the boat we are dealin with..i think nqd say it, actually.. 1/10, 1/12 is correct, tho as you mentioned..but, thats sooo loose anywhere here, its a pool toy, that the punchline, nqd could'nt care less im sure what scale it is/was..lol.

Copy from nqd description..

Type: Speedboat
Channels: 2
Scale: 1:25
Readiness: Ready to run
Hull: V-Type
Length: 17.3 in (440 mm)
Width: 7.3 in (185 mm)
Height: 7 in (178 mm)
Weight: 1.05 lbs
Outdrive: Propeller
Battery: 9.6V 700mAH battery
Charge Time: 3-4 hrs
Run Time: 10 min
Speed: 5-10 mph
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:35 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
954 Posts
[QUOTE=chidago;23344002]Mad, where do you see obsession on 1/25th?

I knew that's how nqd describe it. What I was getting at was that they must never have thought it was 1/25 so why describe it that way in their blurb, with the result that most of the non-model outlets selling them just followed suit. Contrary to what one may think, most Chinese manufacturers are quite good at quoting the scales of their products correctly. Probably because they do so much in 1/10 and 1/12 scale cars, where the difference matters.

Anyway, as long as we all know it's actually 1/12 or thereabouts.

New rudder looks good. Take it you re-painted it all in Mercruiser black before taking those shots.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:04 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,671 Posts
Yes, they are capable of excellent work, but, in these cases, they actually sell the boat for about $8 US, in a 10 case lot..8 to a case, I had contacted the factory a bit back...and they gotta make a profit, so, I dont imagine precise is the optimum direction on this stuff..I would have ordered some, but shipping is a very big mess.

Yup. never leave stuff 1/2 done..wont get to try it until I get one of the others completed, tho..

It passes the " lemmie pull on it with pliers test" tho.. before paint.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:54 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
1,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
Rim, nice breakdown of the 3 stage..

Fire, heres the end result..cant try it myself, as the nozzle from nqd doesnt match to the graupner.

I talked to my plastics guy, matched the plastic, slotted the nozzle, plastic welded the fin to the bowl,ground and sanded inner weld to match nozzle curvature, built up some additional plastic on the outside of the bowl, as that now is a big weak spot, on a rudder hit.. the rudder fin will give, side to side.

Front impact, probably take the nozzle off the jet..

But, no obstruction in the flow, and technically, its all 1 piece.

Fin/rudder scaled from a 175 hp Merc outboard lower unit fin, to match scale length of the boat. got nothin else to go by..aint gonna do the water math..
Nicely done!

Seems like it might need to be slightly longer though to get it in the water at high speeds. Only one way to find out!
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:03 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,671 Posts
Fire, thank you mate..
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:00 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,671 Posts
Steves first run with his hull, and kmb jet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=IdtjOukqKlA
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:12 AM
Ireland, Leitrim
Joined Oct 2009
610 Posts
I haven't even got my first nqd in the water yet, but I must say I like what I see there!
Tiernan85 is offline Find More Posts by Tiernan85
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:32 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,671 Posts
Besides being a maniac too, Steve is a good guy, with more than fair prices..

For those who HAVEN'T got a nqd yet, DONT...get Steves boat, much better quality, and, at the end of the day, the $$ will be the same, or cheaper..
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:05 PM
Ireland, Leitrim
Joined Oct 2009
610 Posts
Yep, ordered a few bits off him the other day. Really nice fella. Wished I would have done as you mentioned, but I suppose I can always get another
Tiernan85 is offline Find More Posts by Tiernan85