HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:15 PM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk989 View Post
I shaved all the useless bits off the stock servo ramp and then cut a hole in the deepest part to fit my 9g metal gear servo, and drilled a couple holes for screws to secure the servo. There was also enough room left on the ramp to mount my rx with some velcro.

I found the easiest way to get the stock motor out with the drive in place was to use some needle-nose pliers and a bit from one of those multi-bit screwdrivers. For me it was harder getting the new motor in because I had to enlarge the screw holes and shave some material off the drive to clear the hex bolt heads I used to mount the motor.
Ya, i was going to do that, but I'm kind of fixed on doing a really clean job with balsa mounts and all that stufffffff, so that someday i can sell it and start a new tear into.
Energy is offline Find More Posts by Energy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:59 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Ya, i was going to do that, but I'm kind of fixed on doing a really clean job with balsa mounts and all that stufffffff, so that someday i can sell it and start a new tear into.
Sounds nice. What are you treating the balsa with to make it stronger and/or waterproof? Light ply might be a better choice for strength.

Either way show us some pics when you're done!
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:07 PM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk989 View Post
Sounds nice. What are you treating the balsa with to make it stronger and/or waterproof? Light ply might be a better choice for strength.

Either way show us some pics when you're done!
Not sure, maybe some sort of heavy varnish. May actually use ply, depends what looks best for the job when i get to the LHS. Not sure how i would precisely cut ply. With thin balsa i would just use a sharp hobby blade.

Will post pictures for sure!
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:17 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Not sure, maybe some sort of heavy varnish. May actually use ply, depends what looks best for the job when i get to the LHS. Not sure how i would precisely cut ply. With thin balsa i would just use a sharp hobby blade.

You can cut some of the thinner ply with those big kitchen scissors, but if there's a woman in your life, don't let her catch you doing that!

Also a dremel with a cutting wheel should cut the light ply pretty easily and precisely.
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Mar 14, 2011, 05:13 AM
eak
Joined Feb 2011
264 Posts
Quote:

Get one of these. I had a set with different size jigsaws but misplaced the other four over the years.
With this you can easily cut plywood.
eak is offline Find More Posts by eak
Old Mar 14, 2011, 09:25 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2006
1,474 Posts
mod thread

I use a big tin snips and cuts up to 1/16" and doesn't splinter in cutting and is accurate.
Mikedown is offline Find More Posts by Mikedown
Old Mar 17, 2011, 09:57 PM
Australia, VIC, Blackburn North
Joined Feb 2011
825 Posts
Well, here's my version of the "Little Jet Boat That Could".

Out with the old....

Servo positioning. Mini servo from my helicopters throttle.

HK 4900kv KD brushless & servo mounting points.
I too persevered with the screws to remove the old motor & used hex screws & an allen wrench to reinstall the motor.

The drive is glued in so well that I felt that the screws were not needed. Just more drag. I also removed the plastic strips across the grate to improve flow.

Jet nozzle with new thicker steering rod.

First fire up & servo centreing exercise.

This will be my layout once I install a battery tray. Just going with 2S 40C 2200mAh.

Close up of layout. I'm using a Mamba micro pro for testing & will most likely get a 60A water cooled Turnigy ESC http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7360 & cooling jacket. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12689

I used a Traxxas Rustler rx box . Everything has been double sided taped in. Servo, switch, rx box & ESC.

I have a mate that uses perspex a lot to make Baja 5B windows. He's going to sling me a piece to cover the hull under the drivers which I'll velcro on.
I need to fix a piece of ply in front of the motor & will use velcro to hold in my pack.

Video will come once complete & fine tuned. :-)
mozzyrocks is offline Find More Posts by mozzyrocks
Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:22 PM
Cookie
Australia, NSW, Petersham
Joined Sep 2005
1,190 Posts
I put all the old inards of the boat on ebay for a $. Some little kid won and come and picked it up and used it for a school project or something. He was happy as.
10x8 is offline Find More Posts by 10x8
Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:32 PM
Joined Feb 2011
825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10x8 View Post
I put all the old inards of the boat on ebay for a $. Some little kid won and come and picked it up and used it for a school project or something. He was happy as.
Including battery, charger & radio?

I might do the same!
Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:55 PM
Cookie
Australia, NSW, Petersham
Joined Sep 2005
1,190 Posts
Capt Kirk controller, battery, everything that come out, lol. I said mate, take the box, but he wasn't interested.

Thought I'd at least get 2 bucks, but na, sold for a $.

Your boat is coming along. Don't test that little mamba too long. I use the 60amp from H/K too, faultless.

Seal her up good. Perspex lid is good under the canopy. Grate protects and really does not inhibit flow if made correctly.
10x8 is offline Find More Posts by 10x8
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:32 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined May 2006
285 Posts
Nice and clean looking setup Mozzy, looking forward to seeing it rip! Waterproof everything, even if you think it will be sealed up... water will get in.
4mods is offline Find More Posts by 4mods
Old Mar 18, 2011, 02:31 AM
Joined Feb 2011
825 Posts
Yeah, water has a way of working into everything these days.

My Genesis even gets water in it.

Where do you use yours 10x8, got footage?
Old Mar 18, 2011, 08:43 AM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
Looking good mossy!

I'll post some pictures of my boat later on today. Just spayed it white.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:43 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
Looking good! You may want to mount the battery sideways to get the balance further back. They need some weight in the back to keep the pump primed.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:51 AM
Joined Feb 2011
825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Looking good! You may want to mount the battery sideways to get the balance further back. They need some weight in the back to keep the pump primed.

Thanks for that bit of info as I was debating how to do it.