Nice vid, mat..

Graupner or, KMB, if you want bigger..
chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:08 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
1,085 Posts
chidago/ serves me right for not reading jeep's post carefully enough. He meant the intake On my steve-modded drive I have the stainless grill he supplies - actually made from pieces of stainless wire but it works like a charm. On my stock (Graupner impellered) ones I have used the grill from a cheap electric mosquito swatter as somebody mentioned on the thread a while ago.

Tiernan85/ glad you have found a cure. There must be a tolerance on these things and I'm just lucky my moulding just happened to be fine and it was only the fibre washer that needed modding. As everyone says, allen/cap screws are the only way to go for motor mounting. As I said before
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1507373854...84.m1439.l2649 is a good place to go for rapid delivery of cheap screws for people in the British Isles.
madbugger is offline Find More Posts by madbugger
Last edited by madbugger; Nov 17, 2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:18 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
7,529 Posts
Yup...what he said...

RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:31 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
1,085 Posts
chidago/ you'll certainly appreciate the better top/hatch and retaining screws on the Sic boat when you get it.

And when you've finished all 6 NQDs you are doing, distributed them amongst your gang and set up your racecourse, we expect some video to make us all feel jealous
Last edited by madbugger; Nov 17, 2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:49 PM
Ireland, Leitrim
Joined Oct 2009
625 Posts
Cheers again madbugger, just waiting now for the final bits to arrive and I'll slap her together. I have a truck load of hex screws here, so I'll definitely be switching them over as they are much easier to work with.
Tiernan85 is offline Find More Posts by Tiernan85
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:12 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,529 Posts
Ahhhh Mad, its the KMB I will appreciate..
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:49 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,529 Posts
Was out for a few, test and tune again, satisfied with the trim, got a ,little more top end, went to .006 AFTER motor end play, on the impeller to stator clearance, wanted to get my endpoints and dual rate steering exact, AND found that the boat is unloading the jet after a spin, as it wants to drop the nose on a spin..lifts the back to far..have to let it settle to get water again, gotta change the CG aft some.

Excuse the vid, my daughter was trying to help, had it zoomed in too far.

I will try more tomorrow, with some better vid..

DSCN1937 (4 min 6 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Nov 17, 2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:33 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Oct 2012
63 Posts
Mine was doing that too, so I've chucked a D cell battery near the motor hoping that will help. Won't know till I test it during my lunch break tomorrow.

Has any body tried these out? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160862278095?redirect=mobile I'm thinking of getting a couple, if you have tried, where did you mount it?
nckmat is offline Find More Posts by nckmat
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:45 AM
Ireland, Leitrim
Joined Oct 2009
625 Posts
Not used one myself as still haven't even got my boat in the water for the first time lol.

But seen this video not too long back of one of those in action. Seems handy. No clue where it was mounted though.

http://youtu.be/Ms1JPbrBUuY?t=3m6s
Tiernan85 is offline Find More Posts by Tiernan85
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:50 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
I wouldn't use them in an electric boat. They can get partially stuck open if there's any grit or debris in the water, and they also need a fair amount of water to open while the boat is on plane. A small amount won't force it open and will stay trapped inside.

They're great in nitro boats that are open and can take on a lot of water.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:37 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,529 Posts
They work for ...trust me, know lotta guys tried em..best bet, make your boat watertight..
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:49 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
1,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
Ahhhh Mad, its the KMB I will appreciate..
Well, that as well but I took that as a given!

As for autobailers nckmat, I agree with wp and chidago. Of some limited use in FSRV nitro boats and the like but a waste of time in these things. All you can do is make it completely watertight with e.g. a lexan or perspex hatch and special care to seal all potential water leaks - and then bail it out everytime you bring it in to change batteries, because no matter what you try some water will always find a way in

All you can do is minimise it.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:45 PM
Joined Jun 2012
71 Posts
in the hull from sicrc, maybe its possible to make a division and immitate the Mono1 self righting construction.

anyone tried something like that on the tear into style hull? I would like to see one of that..

i have another boat laying around to try it out, but i don't know a good way to seperate the nqd's upper and lower hull part.. any ideas?
RimRc is offline Find More Posts by RimRc
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:23 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,529 Posts
Rim, I tried heating it, the plastic softens to bad to let the joint go..it aint the glue they use inside, so I gave up..but, a GREAT idea..lemmie know if you find a way to get it loose, please.

I finished tuning mine, problem is, its a shortie, cant do anything about that, and to keep the pump hooked up better, it would need waaay more hull, or a different design..my problem with everything is I take stuff to a extreme, and eveything has a limit by nature..

Water, by its nature, doesnt compress, and, volume cannot be scaled down, the engineering degree my father paid for, so many years ago, still works..

In the mid 80's I raced, pro, full size jets, and in the 90's I owned part of a jet boat facility, Tahiti
Caribbean, great boats, was part of the parent company that owned berkley jets, Hardin Marine, who did all the jet conversions from normal market jet boat builders..

Vic Hardin was a good guy..died in the early 90's, family didnt pursue boats anymore..

Geez, I got long winded..

Anyway, I changed my CG a little, its done..short vid for ya, and a few pics of one of my Caribbeans..

DSCN1938 (2 min 49 sec)
RCG Plus Member