HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:37 AM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Is he selling bare hulls? I've got an unused original graupner mini jet that needs a home, and a bare hull would be perfect.
Yes.
Does bare hulls (both top and bottom), stock and modded jetdrives and a bunch of other stuff. Complete hulls come in two pieces, top and bottom which you need to join, and if you use his top you also need his 'dress hatch' because top and hatch are subtly different from the stock ones. They have better fixings, a lip at the rear of the hatch as on the full-size sprint boats, and better water seal between top of hull and hatch.

Stuff is a bit more expensive than stock stuff plus you've got carriage as well, but you get what you pay for. As chidago says, Steve Dale is an 'alright guy'.
madbugger is offline Find More Posts by madbugger
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:47 AM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,384 Posts
Wait, what? Who is selling bare hulls?
JGuilty13 is offline Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:07 AM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
1,084 Posts
Here's a pic of the basic parts you get in the SicRC 410 kit which should show you what I mean about the top and hatch.

And chidago, the only reason I even thought of getting another stock NQD is that although the Sic one is a bit better, the price of the bare kit and post costs means that in Britain it comes to more than 2x the cost of a complete stock boat. Wouldn't be as bad if you only wanted the hull bottom to make your own topside but even then you've got the carriage to pay. Dont forget, Oz is literally on the other side of the world from me.
Last edited by madbugger; Nov 08, 2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:10 AM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,384 Posts
Madbugger, is there a website that we can go and order these? You said he offers upgrades as well?
JGuilty13 is offline Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:27 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
7,525 Posts
Yes, he sells bare hulls, 3 colors, different hatch design, comes in three pieces, hull, deck, hatch..new roll bar included..jet cut out cnc'ed in the hull

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170937930545...84.m1438.l2649
chidago is offline Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:28 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,525 Posts
Mad, thats true..and the government always gotta get theirs..
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:31 AM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
Mad, thats true..and the government always gotta get theirs..
Ain't that the truth! And I've noticed something over the years - no matter who you vote for, the government always gets in!
Last edited by madbugger; Nov 08, 2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:16 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
$60 for a bare plastic hull is too much IMO. You can get bigger fiberglass hulls for around that price.
wparsons is online now Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:25 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleburger View Post
I use a 28mm motor, 3000kv on 2S with no cooling. Not super fast but plenty of fun. Waiting for the rain so the gutters flood.
You should put that on 3S. The motor is the right kV, and it will be way faster! You will want to install cooling though.
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Nov 08, 2012, 03:27 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk989 View Post
You should put that on 3S. The motor is the right kV, and it will be way faster! You will want to install cooling though.
Right (3s) and right again (with cooling). The ideal set-up for such a motor. That's the way to do it.

At this rate we'll soon have everyone singing from the same hymn sheet. Mind you, it will then become boring until someone comes up with a down-geared mini-gas turbine version, or one powered by a wood-fired boiler, an infinite improbability drive (courtesy of the HHGTTG), or some other off-the-wall power unit.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 04:08 PM
Ireland, Leitrim
Joined Oct 2009
625 Posts
what sort of paints are you guys using? polycarbonate? normal paint you get at a hardware shop? I have automotive paint too will that work?
Tiernan85 is offline Find More Posts by Tiernan85
Old Nov 08, 2012, 04:17 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,248 Posts
Mine finally showed up, I t will probably sit on the bench until the spring now.
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:04 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,525 Posts
Me, I use auto paint, with a adhesive promoter primer, so it will stick..

here are my final pics..its as done as I'm gonna make it, runs right, waterproofed, I'm happy with it, on to the new one..
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:36 AM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiernan85 View Post
what sort of paints are you guys using?
Like chidago, I mostly use auto paint. I use'rattle-can' spray paints, in my case from Halfords or the like. You need to give the pieces a good wash to get rid of any grease or mould-release and then prime with a PLASTIC primer first. Again I use the Halfords one - available in grey, white or red. It also does no harm to roughen the surface with 600 or finer wet-and-dry paper first before you prime.

For small details I have used both acrylic and enamel model paints. Both seem to work as long as you have used the primer first. I imagine polycarbonate paints would work, and you could maybe use them without the primer. I haven't tried it, having never been an r/c car racer and therefore not having poly paints to hand, so you are on your own with that.

Unless someone else can help.
Last edited by madbugger; Nov 15, 2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:51 AM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
here are my final pics.
Knew it would be good from your earlier pics and these ones confirm it. Super job.
Last edited by madbugger; Nov 09, 2012 at 01:14 PM.