HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:55 PM
Ireland, Leitrim
Joined Oct 2009
625 Posts
Question if I may

I bought a brushless motor for the boat. I'm still waiting for boat though. The motor I have is similar to the one below in regards it has that small area protruding by the shaft. Will this work on these boats or do I need to go on a motor hunt again? The picture of the one I bought had a full flat front but the one I received had the protruding area.

Tiernan85 is offline Find More Posts by Tiernan85
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined Jun 2012
71 Posts
the center hole of the drive is 9mm to 10mm , so it should fit, i can't remember what i did to install it, but i had the a motor with the same extention in my boat, a 2040 size 3350kv from HK.
RimRc is offline Find More Posts by RimRc
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:27 PM
Washington State
Joined Oct 2007
1,264 Posts
Yep, shouldn't be an issue. If it is, you can probably ream the hole a bit in your pump to allow it to fit flush.
7car7 is offline Find More Posts by 7car7
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:28 PM
Ireland, Leitrim
Joined Oct 2009
625 Posts
Ok thanks, it's a hair under 10mm on the motor so if need be I'll do a bit of shaving here and there.

Out of curiosity, does a 28mm motor fit in these boats?
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:43 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiernan85 View Post
Out of curiosity, does a 28mm motor fit in these boats?
Absolutely. Mine is a 24mm, and I have seen much bigger.
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:50 PM
Ireland, Leitrim
Joined Oct 2009
625 Posts
Ok cool, thanks. This motor I have is cheap and shockingly small(2040) from what I've used before with cars, planes etc, but some others out this way say they have used it. I figured if I have any troubles I might bump up a size or two.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Jun 2012
71 Posts
on my ezrun 540/ 36mm can i have about 6 mm to the bottom of the hull left.. ( thats the finned one, actualy a 28mm can with fins upto 36mm. )
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:07 PM
Ireland, Leitrim
Joined Oct 2009
625 Posts
plenty of room than.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:53 PM
Joined Jun 2012
71 Posts
Quote:
plenty of room than.
here are some pics from a while ago... still got the same motor in it running it once in a while in salt water, but the boat does not look the same anymore..

my reason for this size motor was to run the boat without watercooling, but it is a bit too heavy.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=319

anyways, good luck with your build!!

I'm going to post a vid of my nqd patrol boat soon, as my parts and cam have arrived yesterday.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:31 AM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Question if I may
Will work without any problem at all. I take it that's the Keda one. Being a cheapskate I buy the Black Magic ones which are a couple of pounds cheaper and have an almost flat front, but the projected front housing will fit straight into the drive without any 'fettling' and if anything may make for a more secure fixing.

As for the diminutive size of the motor, like you I used to be an electroflight pilot (for the reason I gave up, see my post #506) and to start with thought these boat motors too small BUT....
Believe me, the 2040 is the size used by the majority of people on this and other sites and you will probably not get any benefit from going bigger. Read various posts from wparsons et al to find out why.
madbugger is offline Find More Posts by madbugger
Last edited by madbugger; Nov 09, 2012 at 03:02 PM. Reason: correcting earlier post number
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:01 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
EXCELLENT link!! a new day for the little boats now, thank you for that post.
Its hard to know what links people are familiar with, without visiting (for example) all the ebay sites for various parts of the world. The SicRC site is shown on ebayUK and I didn't realise it wasn't immediately obvious on ebayUS, and therefore common knowledge, until I saw your comment and checked.

I have a hull kit and modded flexdrive unit from SicRC although I haven't built it up yet (so many projects, so little time ).

On the same topic, I was unaware of xenonproject until you mentioned them a page ago, so thanks for that. Having looked at the site I note the cost of their NQD's is less than from any supplier on this side of the pond. The only problem is that although they say they ship wordwide, the drop-down menu only allows you to put in US or Canada. I suppose I could email them to get the lowdown - but then at the minute I already have 3 (including the SicRC one). Do I need another?

Get thee behind me, Satan.
madbugger is offline Find More Posts by madbugger
Last edited by madbugger; Nov 07, 2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:04 PM
Ireland, Leitrim
Joined Oct 2009
625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbugger View Post
Will work without any problem at all. I take it that's the Keda one. Being a cheapskate I buy the Black Magic ones which are a couple of pounds cheaper and have an almost flat front, but the projected front housing will fit straight into the drive without any 'fettling' and if anything may make for a more secure fixing.

As for the diminutive size of the motor, like you I used to be an electroflight pilot (for the reason I gave up, see my post #502) and to start with thought these boat motors too small BUT....
Believe me, the 2040 is the size used by the majority of people on this and other sites and you will probably not get any benefit from going bigger. Read various posts from wparsons et al to find out why.
I think it was yourself that put me on to these motors so I'm happy to use it. As you say, looking through the pics here and on RCU most people run them like this size. I think I mentioned the pic for this motor shows the flat front, I'm not too bothered really if it fits though. The pic showed a purple motor too but I got a grey one lol.

I just have the damn waiting game right now. Ordered the boat from banggood and 8 days later get an email that they are not in stock... pain in the ass. I have one ordered elsewhere already, but was hoping to have my new boat the end of this week Suppose still waiting for my esc from HK and a few other odds and ends too.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:21 PM
Electric Hippy
Brisbane
Joined Nov 2005
2,372 Posts
I use a 28mm motor, 3000kv on 2S with no cooling. Not super fast but plenty of fun. Waiting for the rain so the gutters flood.
Eagleburger is offline Find More Posts by Eagleburger
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:42 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
7,537 Posts
Mad, seems no reason to get the stock nqd, with the other offering, no deck on, no deck to CUT, holes pre cut for the jet of your choice..thicker plastic too, I spoke with Steve late nite, nice guy..here is 2 of his vids..

WAVE JUMPING SESSION (4 min 54 sec)

SicRC Jet Sprint 410 (1 min 17 sec)
chidago is offline Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:15 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
Is he selling bare hulls? I've got an unused original graupner mini jet that needs a home, and a bare hull would be perfect.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons