HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:11 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofrancis View Post
has anyone done any reinforcing of the hull? i have already put a 2 inch crack down the bottom of my hull. i was thinking thin carbon fibre strips or something epoxied to the inside of the hull.
If the two sides of the crack are close fitting, Gorilla Glue alone, spread over the inside of the area might do the trick. If there are gaps you'll need something to back up the repaired area, like some plasticard, your subway card or - if you kept it - the piece you cut out of the top when you first modded the boat. Any of these could be fixed in place with Gorilla Glue.

If you plan on using epoxy you may find it won't 'bite' to the hull plastic. The only epoxy-type glue that is sure to work long-term is Pattex Stabilit Express. This is a 2-part glue with a powder and a resin component. Fairly expensive stuff, but the only thing Graupner and Robbe recommend for ABS plastic or for fitting wood formers to ABS hulls on their boat kits.
madbugger is offline Find More Posts by madbugger
Last edited by madbugger; Oct 10, 2012 at 06:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Jun 2012
71 Posts
Prototyping a fast patrol boat thing ( part 4 ) with metal prop.

Today i tried out a alloy stator look alike.. its a massive block of alloy cut and drilled
into shape with a power drill and a dremel. man, i need some proper tools..

It worked ok, puts out a lot of thrust, but i need to change the stator, because it got damaged (eaten) by the prop vibrating too much..

Still got some leaks around it, but thats fixed by the rubber seal, cut from a cars inner tube glued on, no problem.

here are a bunch of pic's just to get the idea..

The part of the alloy piece where the shaft goes in, is so solid that the drive does
not vibrate anymore, and the prop shaft goes in about 1,5 cm, so its less likely to wear out and cause vibrations.

I took some more pics of the inside and outside of the boat, but im still working on some details..

@7car7
I looked everywhere, even tried old rc transmitter antenna's but nothing i found seems to be a good fit. i have a 4mm shaft but that would take a remake of the complete drive.
RimRc is offline Find More Posts by RimRc
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:53 PM
Fix it till its broke!
United Kingdom, Scotland, North Ayrshire
Joined Feb 2010
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbugger View Post
If the two sides of the crack are close fitting, Gorilla Glue alone, spread over the inside of the area might do the trick. If there are gaps you'll need something to back up the repaired area, like some plasticard, your subway card or if you kept it, the piece you cut out of the top when you first modded the boat. Any of these could be fixed in place with Gorilla Glue.

If you plan on using epoxy you may find in won't 'bite' to the hull plastic. The only epoxy-type glue that is sure to work long-term is Pattex Stabilit Express. This is a 2-part glue. Fairly expensive stuff, but the only thing Graupner and Robbe recommend for ABS plastic or for fitting wood formers to ABS hulls on their boat kits.
its sealed with epoxy i made sure to put a little extra on the inside to strengthen it. lucky it was just a crack
geofrancis is online now Find More Posts by geofrancis
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:47 AM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
1,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbugger View Post
All pales into insignificance compared with their use for jet boats, of course.
Indeed!

As for adhesives, the one I have found to work best on these jet boats for attaching things is Shoe Goo. It sticks very well to the ABS but also remains slightly flexible, which is great because the ABS is slightly flexible too when it bounces off rocks!
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:09 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk989 View Post
Indeed!
It sticks very well to the ABS but also remains slightly flexible, which is great because the ABS is slightly flexible too when it bounces off rocks!
Good point! I've used Shoe Goo for attaching bits inside, but I'd never thought of using it for repairs - which is crazy considering that's what it's made for.

Must be living up to my sign-in name
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:17 PM
Joined Sep 2012
74 Posts
So I have gone through many threads, seen many suggestions, but is there a standard list of parts to modify these boats... Looking for low maintenance, yet fun and cheap. I would rather sacrifice speed for low maintenance and price. Most of the parts lists I have seen were from like 2 years ago, I figured something new and cool had entered the market since then.
Nebey is offline Find More Posts by Nebey
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:55 PM
Washington State
Joined Oct 2007
1,260 Posts
Nebey -

Probably not really a standard list, I think there are a LOT of different options out there being used.
I can tell you what I used, and I am very happy with it. It's not blistering fast, but it's plenty powerful enough to get me in trouble, especially in a shallow narrow stream.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=388

I'm using a 20mm diameter 2100 KV motor from ebay, with a 20mm cooling jacket from Hobby King.
with this ESC...
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...C_3A_UBEC.html

And I use 2200 down to 1300 mah 3 cell lipos.

This is the exact motor I bought.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-Brushless...item4142532d99
But I bet this one would really fly.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-Brushless...item41468dfac6

edit - I also bought a 2.3x3mm coupler from Rc-sub-workshop on ebay.
and a 20mm water cooling jacket from HK. The orange one.

Again, I'm happy with mine, and perhaps it will let the drive unit last longer, not sure.
7car7 is offline Find More Posts by 7car7
Last edited by 7car7; Oct 15, 2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:48 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
1,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebey View Post
So I have gone through many threads, seen many suggestions, but is there a standard list of parts to modify these boats... Looking for low maintenance, yet fun and cheap. I would rather sacrifice speed for low maintenance and price. Most of the parts lists I have seen were from like 2 years ago, I figured something new and cool had entered the market since then.
I will copy 7car's reply with what I use:

24x48mm 3200kV inrunner. (~2800-3000kV may be better, but mine works just fine.)

Turnigy Seaking 35A ESC. Waterproof and reliable.

3S 2200mah LiPo. Gives 15-20min runtime unless you are on full throttle the whole time.

Any waterproof micro servo.

All of this can be had from Hobbyking, the only thing that requires some fiddling or custom fabrication is the coupler between the motor and the impeller shaft.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:45 AM
Joined Sep 2012
74 Posts
Ok cool thanks guys, that's what I was looking for. I guess my lack of knowledge is based on my lack of experience with the newer electronics of RC models, and my lack of knowledge when it comes to RC boats. I do have a fairly extensive knowledge base in modifying things though, so I am comfortable there.

In saying all that, you can understand why this next question may seem really simple. But what in the parts list above controls the boat from the controller, ie what is used as the receiver. Does that just come with the controller? Do I need a special waterproof boat one? Does the servo come with it too (it did with the last controller I bought for an RC car I built last year).
Nebey is offline Find More Posts by Nebey
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:45 AM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
1,991 Posts
Quote:
Ok cool thanks guys, that's what I was looking for. I guess my lack of knowledge is based on my lack of experience with the newer electronics of RC models, and my lack of knowledge when it comes to RC boats. I do have a fairly extensive knowledge base in modifying things though, so I am comfortable there.

In saying all that, you can understand why this next question may seem really simple. But what in the parts list above controls the boat from the controller, ie what is used as the receiver. Does that just come with the controller? Do I need a special waterproof boat one? Does the servo come with it too (it did with the last controller I bought for an RC car I built last year).
You will have to buy a receiver that is compatible with the transmitter that you already own, (if you have a suitable one) or buy a new tx/rx combo to go with the boat. To waterproof my rx, I took the plastic case off and painted the rx (except for the servo plugs and bind button) with shoe goo. Has worked perfectly so far.

For a cheap and reasonably reliable tx with a 16 model memory, I recommend this one:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...und_Radio.html

Extra or replacement receivers are only $13:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ansmitter.html
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:18 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
954 Posts
Quote:
In saying all that, you can understand why this next question may seem really simple.
Just to add another consenting voice to what's been said by Firehawk and 7car7

2s LIpo on a 4200 kv or less, brushless 2040 motor
3s " on a 3000 kv or less " " motor
ESC of 25 to 40 amps depending on whether you go for 2s or 3s
LiPo of 1300 to 2500mah
A waterproof (or home-waterproofed) servo
Tx and Rx combo to suit
and you'll have a toy worth playing with.

2s setup will consume more amps needing the bigger ESC and giving you less duration, so if you are stating from scratch I'd go with the 3s combination.

And lastly, don't ever think there's such a thing as a question too simple to ask. I've been a modeler for longer than I care to remember, but I've never met a modeler whether expert or novice, from whom I couldn't learn something. And the best thing about modelers is that we are all very willing to share what we know. (Except during competitions, but that's a different matter :-))
Last edited by madbugger; Oct 16, 2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:34 PM
Joined Jun 2012
71 Posts
Maybe some more "in general" tear into setup comments;

Esc
Size depends completely on amp draw from motor and battery voltage.
If your esc is "big" enough and does not get hot, you dont need to have a watercooled one because it is in a boat, just be sure it can take some swimming lessons.

Servo's:
The servo is most of the time not realy an issue, but dont put in a servo thats too delicate, the nozzle can get hit and damage it.
Anything between a traxxas mini size servo and standard (rccar 1:10) size servo will do, bigger would be overkill.

Transmitter and receiver:
Any proportional and not the standard on/off transmitter will be sufficient, most of them have sufficient range and trims etc. for this little boat.

On/off switch:
Just use the original one.

Motor:
Most commonly used, as for in this thread, would be the hk 2040 4800kv 2s with watercooling and that motor has the same shaft size as original motor, so plug n play.

Easiest would be a brushless motor with 2.3mm shaft and watercooling.

From the motors i tried in this boat, i can say that 2s under 4200 is on the slow side and 3s under 2400 would be slow too, but that again can be a good thing if you like the stock speed.
Faster would be 2s between 4400 and 4800kv and for 3s between 2800 and 3300kv.

Just to note, because i did not find any comment on it, i tried a walkera small 2.3 mm shaft 3100kv 150watt outrunner and it took longer to push the boat to speed, i think the outrunners are better for this boat having 250 watts or above. I did not notice this issue with inrunners, as my 2040 size inrunner had 350 watts and my other inrunner motors are way above that.

I always start looking what i already have laying around and start the rest with that in mind.
RimRc is offline Find More Posts by RimRc
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:00 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,681 Posts
Hi, Guys,

New to this thread, but, after watching a bunch of vid on this little boat, I hadda do one myself..but to find one was a project, aint any, wanted white, the color I wanted to do wouldnt work with yellow..

Its a Ball !!

3900kv, 4200 3s, Graupner jet replacement, 60A ESC, Futaba radio gear, Dodge plum crazy paint, no leaks, HUGE run time, thank all you guys for making people aware of this fun little boat..

I did the full build in the thread I hang in, but, I once again wanted to thank you that put this little boat out there..
chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Oct 23, 2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:08 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
1,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
Hi, Guys,

New to this thread, but, after watching a bunch of vid on this little boat, I hadda do one myself..but to find one was a project, aint any, wanted white, the color I wanted to do wouldnt work with yellow..

Its a Ball !!

3900kv, 4200 3s, Graupner jet replacement, 60A ESC, Futaba radio gear, Dodge plum crazy paint, no leaks, HUGE run time, thank all you guys for making people aware of this fun little boat..

I did the full build in the tread I hang in, but, I once again wanted to thank you that put this little boat out there..
Nice build!
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:31 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,681 Posts
Thanks, Fire, I appreciate that..

This boat is such fun, but, we dont have the streams you guys have in BC, wish we did..

I have spotted 2, used em both, its a pleasure to be able to run it without the fear of it turning to junk..lol

I'm much more into fast gas, and sail, but, having had full size jets, this was a fun project, but, wasnt able to use any paint fancies..

I enjoy detail as well as performance..
chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member