HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2011, 04:32 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined May 2006
285 Posts
You guys have to also consider the different varieties of spots that we run. I have noticed a ton of you just rip around ponds or lakes with them and thats pretty cool but the results will be much different in some moving rapids.
My latest setup I built up with one of the ABC drives from the jetski and have a 90amp Turnigy esc (overkill but I don't even run water cooling, lol) and a fat 500 heli sized 1800kv outrunner. Really awesome results and I can even power this system up to 4 cell and have fun ripping.

Good thinking on this thread!
4mods is offline Find More Posts by 4mods
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2011, 07:57 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2006
1,474 Posts
4mods

That setup you have is spot on and should last along time. I had trouble with the u-joints till i put a waterline hose that fit right over the u-joints to keep noise down and if they broke, i could make it back to shore. BTW, you say ABC has parts like the drive system off a jetski. Sure could use the site where you got the parts. Were you one of the boaters at the COMP RUN in the video? Thanks.
Mikedown is offline Find More Posts by Mikedown
Old Mar 11, 2011, 09:07 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined May 2006
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by retoabcr View Post
That setup you have is spot on and should last along time. I had trouble with the u-joints till i put a waterline hose that fit right over the u-joints to keep noise down and if they broke, i could make it back to shore. BTW, you say ABC has parts like the drive system off a jetski. Sure could use the site where you got the parts. Were you one of the boaters at the COMP RUN in the video? Thanks.
Thanks man, so far so good with this setup! Only thing I really had to do was put in a couple spacers to push the motor back as the shaft was super long but it hasn't resulted in any vibrations. Mind you since my buddy sucked up some rocks and I have replaced the impeller I have noticed it is no longer perfectly straight.. ugh. Its an ABC hobby jet drive.

I ran the white boat and placed first with it during this comp. In that video I run at the 4:00 mark in this vid is me running it. I just noticed the clip right after is the one of my buddy jumping my yellow boat to its destruction... Its my best rapids boat (white one), I run the mini graupner drive along with a fat 2000~kv inrrunner style motor and some 100amp car esc on 4 cell pack.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc2mc4cAtIE

Old Mar 11, 2011, 09:22 PM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mods View Post
You guys have to also consider the different varieties of spots that we run. I have noticed a ton of you just rip around ponds or lakes with them and thats pretty cool but the results will be much different in some moving rapids.
My latest setup I built up with one of the ABC drives from the jetski and have a 90amp Turnigy esc (overkill but I don't even run water cooling, lol) and a fat 500 heli sized 1800kv outrunner. Really awesome results and I can even power this system up to 4 cell and have fun ripping.

Good thinking on this thread!
Very true, this boat is definitely playing different rolls for different people. I'm going to be creek and rapid running it, so realistically i for one won't be consistently running at full throttle.
Energy is offline Find More Posts by Energy
Old Mar 11, 2011, 09:27 PM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
IMO, I wouldn't set the throttle end points to bring the throttle down, running brushless ESC's at part throttle generates a lot of heat.

The issue isn't torque, it's the WOT rpm's are too fast for the small jet pump to handle. Going with a lower kv motor will give you just as much performance, and at the same time keep the heat and amp draw lower.

You can run as big of a servo as you want, but I haven't had a single issue with a cheap 9g one. The only benefit to the bigger one is that it would add weight to the boat (they like to be a bit heavier to keep the intake in the water). If it were me, I would build it light then add stick on lead for ballast in key places though.
Hi wparsons

Well, i have a bit of time to think it through, as the order will be on hold until the motor is back in stock. So i could change it at any time.

I would like to stay with that 35a water cooled esc. But would be interested in looking at maybe a little lower KV motor as you recommended. Is there a specific hobbyking motor your think of, or one that would work well? Preferably an inrunner so that i could use a water jacket.

Thanks
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:20 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined May 2006
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Very true, this boat is definitely playing different rolls for different people. I'm going to be creek and rapid running it, so realistically i for one won't be consistently running at full throttle.
Its funny how many people just want to go fast with boats.. I love speed sure, but just having the power to get in and out of rapids is more then enough for me. Its nice to hear of others like this!!
Old Mar 12, 2011, 12:27 AM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mods View Post
Its funny how many people just want to go fast with boats.. I love speed sure, but just having the power to get in and out of rapids is more then enough for me. Its nice to hear of others like this!!
I see exactly what you're saying. Personally if i wanted a super fast boat just for ripping around a pond or lake, i wouldn't be going with a jet boat. There are other boats out there that are more practical for these applications. But to each his own, i suppose.

Another thing to keep in mind is that some places aren't laced with beautifully creeks and rivers. BC is the best of the best, but even in Ontario there are many great creeks and rapids, especially the further up north you go.

I live on a lake, so every once in a while fore sure I'll rip around in deeper water, but for me, the true purpose of this boat is for creeks and rapids, and doing a little jumping.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 12:45 AM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
Just finished ripping all the stock crap out of the boat. My goal is to do a really clean build, so I made sure all the cuts were straight and cleaned the inside all up. Man, getting the motor out without ripping the jet drive out was a pain in the @5$. Allen key screws for the new motor installation!

I think i just got through the grunt work. Now its just installing the new electronics, water cooling setup and some intake mods. (metal mesh with a ride plate) Oh, and a not yet figured out paint job.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 02:44 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined May 2006
285 Posts
I'm always just lazy and drill a couple holes in the back of the boat small enough to get a hex wrench in.

I also tried using some Tamiya putty once on the bottom of my boat and it was the hardest stuff to get off man! I can't say my results were that great either, don't try it. haha

Old Mar 12, 2011, 04:08 AM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,099 Posts
Is there a reason you want to stay on 2S? 3S would be more efficient with that 35A ESC.

My parts didn't arrive today, but I ran over to RaceTech and picked up one of those metal proboat universals from the SV27R. Works great and should hold up a lot better than the flimsy plastic one. Had to use a piece of 1/8" OD brass tube to make a sleeve to fit the small impeller shaft into the proboat coupler. I also shoe-gooed my rx and greased the impeller shaft.

Should be good to go for tomorrow, now I just need to decide where to run it.
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Mar 12, 2011, 08:44 AM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk989 View Post
Is there a reason you want to stay on 2S? 3S would be more efficient with that 35A ESC.

My parts didn't arrive today, but I ran over to RaceTech and picked up one of those metal proboat universals from the SV27R. Works great and should hold up a lot better than the flimsy plastic one. Had to use a piece of 1/8" OD brass tube to make a sleeve to fit the small impeller shaft into the proboat coupler. I also shoe-gooed my rx and greased the impeller shaft.

Should be good to go for tomorrow, now I just need to decide where to run it.
No, i could do 3s.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 08:55 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Hi wparsons

Well, i have a bit of time to think it through, as the order will be on hold until the motor is back in stock. So i could change it at any time.

I would like to stay with that 35a water cooled esc. But would be interested in looking at maybe a little lower KV motor as you recommended. Is there a specific hobbyking motor your think of, or one that would work well? Preferably an inrunner so that i could use a water jacket.

Thanks
Do you care where it comes from?

This might work well on 2s:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m05-car-2040-3600.html
and cooling jacket:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-tube-2040-130-cooler.html

I put that motor in a friends mini rio on 2s and it's been great.

There's also this one:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m31-car-2848-3900.html
and cooling jacket:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-tube-2848-380-cooler.html
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Mar 12, 2011, 09:17 AM
eak
Joined Feb 2011
264 Posts
I still sugest you get.
this motor http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=15190
and this esc http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15132
on 2cell it's 19k rpm and as I understand that is about what the jet drive's max rpm is.
I don't kknow what is cheaper a ready made cooling jacket or hommade from pvc tube.
eak is offline Find More Posts by eak
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:25 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2006
1,474 Posts
mod thread

I'll go with EAK on the motor.---- Parsons suggestion on the 3600 works great on 24" shallow monos as i run a 36 40 05 3900 Turnigy with a cut down 632 to 630 and is smooth as silk. I ran a Lobby Lobby mini jetdrive in a NQD like 4mod and it wore badly around shaft and my big hands were having a hard time getting into thse areas. Shelf is where it is stored completely wrapped . EAK'S 19,000 gives enough rpm for suction and good speed. BLs' don't like partial throttle, so cooling is necessary. BTW i make my own cooling out of pcv and 1/8" "O " rings and use Conformal coating to seal the rings. I'll read you guys posting and see how you come out. I won't post any more as i feel like i butted in, sorry for that. Have a good day. Forgot; 2s fully charged = 21,000 rpm.
Mikedown is offline Find More Posts by Mikedown
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:46 AM
eak
Joined Feb 2011
264 Posts
And you are better off with 70 amps.
Then you get some head room for prolonged current spikes.
You motor won't draw more then it want's anny way. but the 35amp esc you have no room for spikes at all. And HK/turnigy is HK brands both So don't think there is that much of a difference in build quality annyways. The HK SS needs a external BEC but those are cheap get a SBEC for 4$ or something.
eak is offline Find More Posts by eak