HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:23 AM
United States, CT, Manchester
Joined Jan 2007
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk989 View Post
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Boat_ESC.html

These are excellent! I have two and both have performed flawlessly. (One in my Tear Into, and the other in my Offshore Warrior.)
Great to know that. I was going to put in ads300 because I have had it fo the last year, but with the othe nqd's coming I will put it in one of them.
Joe
hotrodder is offline Find More Posts by hotrodder
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2012, 09:40 AM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
I had two wimpy pieces of push rod glued on the intake to act as an intake grate. Wouldn't recommend it. I was at the creek today (Still not frozen. Been a weird winter up hear) and when i took it out of the water i notice one of my grate rods was completely gone and the other attached on one end and bent in.

What have you guys been using? I tried metal mesh from this pencil holder that i had, but was finding that it was costing to much power.
Energy is offline Find More Posts by Energy
Old Mar 03, 2012, 11:03 AM
Platinum Card Member
Joined Sep 2007
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
I had two wimpy pieces of push rod glued on the intake to act as an intake grate. Wouldn't recommend it. I was at the creek today (Still not frozen. Been a weird winter up hear) and when i took it out of the water i notice one of my grate rods was completely gone and the other attached on one end and bent in.

What have you guys been using? I tried metal mesh from this pencil holder that i had, but was finding that it was costing to much power.
If you want the fastest speed, don't use a grate. The stock impellers are available on Ebay last I checked. But if you're tired of replacing impellers and can do with a little less speed, a screen or grate is needed. Mini expanded metal like some file and pen holders are made from seem to be the best. You might have perforated metal - like little holes int it, and they are more restrictive. Motor size matters - a 2040 motor will show more speed difference with some screens, and larger (24-28mm) motors will be less affected.
sundogz is offline Find More Posts by sundogz
Old Mar 04, 2012, 02:38 AM
United Kingdom, England, Southsea
Joined Apr 2011
199 Posts
on my version ive used a flexible protection tube from a hydraulicram , stretched over the intake & screwed in place
triumphjon is offline Find More Posts by triumphjon
Old Mar 05, 2012, 07:52 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,750 Posts
reverse - after a fashion.

I finally lashed together the R/C gear in my TEAR INTO today and I found I can get it to go in reverse - sort of.

The nozzle (technical term?) needs to be pretty much fully submerged to do it though, and trying to use more than a little throttle doesn't work well. Provided I got the weight far enough back, I could get it to gently back up at low reverse throttle.

It wanted to turn the nose to the left as it did it (anticlockwise slow spin). I could counter that a bit by steering left (sucking the stern to the left to try to make it go clockwise) but I couldn't make it turn the other way. Not a big deal. So long as it can back up at all, I'm fine with it.

On my first attempt the impeller sucked air and the coupling let go so it wouldn't move in either direction. I wouldn't have wanted that to happen in the middle of the lake. I've limited the reverse throttle travel, after setting the end points on the Mtrinoniks Marine 15 ESC for full throw, so it's not really a danger any more.

Here's a video clip where I demonstrate it not working with the battery forwards of the motor, then how it works if I move the battery back to get the stern to sit in the water.

NQD TEAR INTO Jet Boat first lash up (with reverse) (1 min 5 sec)

The reverse (such as it is) lets me turn in a space less than an inch longer than the boat. I cheated a bit by bumping the sides, but I was working the boat with just my left hand and holding the camera with my right, so it was the best I could manage
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:00 PM
Cookie
Australia, NSW, Petersham
Joined Sep 2005
1,175 Posts
Let's not do bath NQD anymore. Get it out there in the water, rapids, creeks.

Appreciate your efforts, but cmon mate. Get a rocket on it.

Pete
10x8 is offline Find More Posts by 10x8
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:06 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,750 Posts
Now that's what I call impatience! I've only just got the damn thing together and it's past midnight. I'm not going out to find it some more water at this time of night...

I've still got some tidying up to do as well (of the boat, not my bathroom - that's used to being in a mess), and I'll need to make a battery tray for the back end, apparently.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:24 PM
Cookie
Joined Sep 2005
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
Now that's what I call impatience! I've only just got the damn thing together and it's past midnight. I'm not going out to find it some more water at this time of night...

I've still got some tidying up to do as well (of the boat, not my bathroom - that's used to being in a mess), and I'll need to make a battery tray for the back end, apparently.
Argh, cmon son. See post 158 of the hair dryer NQD. Make ya laugh, as in why would a man put a ducted fan on an NQD, or a NQD? Cheesus...

Pete, nil flood, of the south.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:36 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,750 Posts
I hadn't read that part of the thread. I kind of read the beginning, and looked through the attachments before I joined, but that pic isn't an attachment so I didn't see it:

It makes perfect sense but I can't help wondering why you didn't go the whole hog and fit an actual jet, or a pulse jet

Was it top heavy?

I have some assorted EDF fans I've never used. The only problem is my boat club (I'd better try to be polite here) has a rule about brushless motors. Not kidding. If you want to use a brushless motor you have to clear it with the committee. Not much point having an EDF without one, and I can't see them agreeing to it, really.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 01:58 AM
United Kingdom, England, Southsea
Joined Apr 2011
199 Posts
why should your club have a problem with brushless motors ? i could understand a ban on ic engines due to noise & slight polution of the water but not to an electric motor thats more effeciant !
triumphjon is offline Find More Posts by triumphjon
Old Mar 06, 2012, 02:46 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,750 Posts
Exactly, triumphjon. A brushless motor is quieter for the same amount of power output, plus it's lower maintenance and more durable. It's a stupid prejudice (whoops - forgot I was supposed to be being polite about it).

I think the idea is that brushless motors are fitted to make things go faster, but you can make a brushed motor go just as fast with the right prop and enough cells to drive it. It makes no sense at all to me. If they set noise and speed limits that would make sense - and the only hope I'd have of getting my NQD to pass a noise limit test would be to make it brushless.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:17 PM
Cookie
Joined Sep 2005
1,175 Posts
Quote:
I hadn't read that part of the thread. I kind of read the beginning, and looked through the attachments before I joined, but that pic isn't an attachment so I didn't see it:

No excuse, lol.
It makes perfect sense but I can't help wondering why you didn't go the whole hog and fit an actual jet, or a pulse jet

Jet? Pulse jet? Your kidding.
Was it top heavy?

No.
I have some assorted EDF fans I've never used. The only problem is my boat club (I'd better try to be polite here) has a rule about brushless motors. Not kidding. If you want to use a brushless motor you have to clear it with the committee. Not much point having an EDF without one, and I can't see them agreeing to it, really.
I hate committee's. Wheel of cheese they are, lol.
All the best with it though.

Pete
Old Mar 06, 2012, 10:55 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,750 Posts
Ta. I've never heard that expression before.

I've got one of these, that I bought on ebay years ago (having been conned into thinking it was full R/C) and never bothered fixing up:

NQD 757 Sports game boat (1 min 56 sec)

An EDF in the top part of that would be fun. There's plenty of room. The outlet for the jet is part of the removable canopy, along with the inlet.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 11:20 PM
Cookie
Joined Sep 2005
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Ta. I've never heard that expression before.

Rent a movie called 'CRACKERJACK'

I've got one of these, that I bought on ebay years ago (having been conned into thinking it was full R/C) and never bothered fixing up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddj1R...eature=related

An EDF in the top part of that would be fun. There's plenty of room. The outlet for the jet is part of the removable canopy, along with the inlet.
Mate, I just put a 50mm edf on it cause I fly the mini Sabre & MIG. Preverted them to wemotec 50's, thus spare 2 fans, lol.

Take care,
Pete
Old Mar 07, 2012, 06:30 PM
United States, CT, Manchester
Joined Jan 2007
369 Posts
Well here is my boat all painted.
Name: 2012-03-07_19-23-25_465.jpg
Views: 181
Size: 77.9 KB
Description: