HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:53 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
7,375 Posts
En, just get one from sicrc..its a new boat, you put the deck on, all holes pre drilled for the jet, way better hatch..etc..comes in neat colors too.

The ease of rigging it with a empty hull is wonderful..and the nice roll bar is sweet too..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170937930545...84.m1423.l2649
chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Mar 04, 2013 at 07:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2013, 07:02 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Just found this picture of my old paint job when i was cleaning out my computer. Wish i didn't sell it.

I think I have an order to place... Wheres the best place to buy the tear-intos these days?
Best place right now is from Australia, but they are not quite NQD tear into's. They are maybe 75% better and everything is pretty much interchangeable. Advantage is 2 open halves to build easier and seal up after you are happy. Check sicRC on ebay,
http://stores.ebay.com/SicRC?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

or e-mail Steve in Australia yourself and get as much or as little of a full kit or prebuilt as you like.

And thanks E for letting this little band of Rogues kind of hijack you thread for fun and sport. We do try to get back to the subject quite often.

John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Mar 04, 2013, 07:05 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,375 Posts
Echo in here...
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2013, 08:06 PM
Kicking koalas since 1972
Australia, NSW, Kempsey
Joined Mar 2013
23 Posts
Here.....http://stores.ebay.com.au/SicRC
Mardy_down_under is offline Find More Posts by Mardy_down_under
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:22 PM
Joined Jan 2013
25 Posts
Guys, I finally got a chance to tear into my boat. Got it all gut out and I'm ready to get started.
I will be buying silicone tube and brass from these guys.

I'm thinking of getting this coupler.
http://www.kintecracing.com/Collets_Couplers.html

3mm x 3mm Coupler Set screw type fits a 3mm motor shaft and 3mm flex. 20mm long. $4.00

I see the proboat suggestion and the other one from ebay but since I'm buying from these guys this should work right? same plan as before using 1/8 OD brass tubing as a sandwich between for the shaft.

Thanks
johnyeros is offline Find More Posts by johnyeros
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:46 PM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
Best place right now is from Australia, but they are not quite NQD tear into's. They are maybe 75% better and everything is pretty much interchangeable. Advantage is 2 open halves to build easier and seal up after you are happy. Check sicRC on ebay,
http://stores.ebay.com/SicRC?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

or e-mail Steve in Australia yourself and get as much or as little of a full kit or prebuilt as you like.

And thanks E for letting this little band of Rogues kind of hijack you thread for fun and sport. We do try to get back to the subject quite often.

John in Merrill

Hey, its just as much you're guys' thread as it is mine! I think its just great how much solid information is in here now! I originally started the thread to give RCGroup members the same kind of thing that they have over at RCU.

Thats great news about the new jetboat part seller! It was such a pain "tearing into" the boat when it still had all the toy electronics in it.

I'm definitely going to start building one again. Not sure if I'll go with the same set up I had last time. (picture) Its just that little 5600kv HK brushless if i remember right and a HK 25amp esc maybe??? Not sure if anyone is running this set up right now, but I wasn't super happy with it. It almost seemed too fast for the weight of the boat and would often have cavitation issues. Probably just needed some strategic weight placement.

One of the things i did like form my old boat was the canopy idea that i got from a youtube video i think. (picture 2) So i'd probably do that again. Kept the water out pretty well.

Anyway, glad to be back guys!
Energy is offline Find More Posts by Energy
Old Mar 05, 2013, 08:00 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Thats great news about the new jetboat part seller! It was such a pain "tearing into" the boat when it still had all the toy electronics in it.
(picture) Its just that little 5600kv HK brushless if i remember right and a HK 25amp esc maybe??? Not sure if anyone is running this set up right now, but I wasn't super happy with it. It almost seemed too fast for the weight of the boat and would often have cavitation issues. Probably just needed some strategic weight placement.

One of the things i did like form my old boat was the canopy idea that i got from a youtube video i think. (picture 2) So i'd probably do that again. Kept the water out pretty well.

Anyway, glad to be back guys!
Good to see our Thread Daddy "Tear Into" again!
If I am seeing it correctly, you have the same 4800kv 2040SL W/waterjacket that I have for one of my boats. It does seem like a real screamer, but I haven't had it in the water yet. I'll run that on 2200 2S bats.
My other build is going to have a bit beefier 3900kv 2848SL also from Hobby King, but still should run fine on 2S. Chidago and some others will push for 3S screamer speed.

I am new to jetboats but have airboats, mini race boats, sailboats, seaplanes, and small helis and quads. Hope to have a great time this year with the little jetboats and hope you do too. Building from sicRC parts should be much simpler than carving up the NQD toy and then rebuilding.

John in Merrill
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:41 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Hey Chi Daddy
Can you give us a brand name or ready source for the black trim you've been using for and edge bumper, particularly on the new yellow boat? Other colors might be nice too but your stuff looks to be more flexible than the stuff I bought. The stuff I got from AutoZone from Cowles Products called Style Guard door edge will probably work, but yours might be softer and easier with the curves and fitting around the rolled edge seam in the hull halves.

John in Merrill
Last edited by jgestner; Mar 05, 2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:45 AM
Platinum Card Member
Joined Sep 2007
342 Posts
New larger jet drive available on ebay

Don't know if you've seen this, but a vendor on ebay is selling a replacement larger jet drive for the Tear Into boats. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Re-tooled-Je...:X:RTQ:US:1123
I inquired about the size of the impeller, and about replacements and they replied:
Thank you for viewing my auction.
The diameter of impeller is 35mm,you have two options for spare: brassed one US$12-/ea for Top power usage( 11.1V~22.2V), plastic one US$5-/ea
for normal battery power usage(7.4~11.1 V)

So it is larger than the KMB 28mm drive, but not as overly large as the Graupner 40mm drive. Quite interesting.
sundogz is offline Find More Posts by sundogz
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:01 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundogz View Post
Don't know if you've seen this, but a vendor on ebay is selling a replacement larger jet drive for the Tear Into boats. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Re-tooled-Je...:X:RTQ:US:1123
I inquired about the size of the impeller, and about replacements and they replied:
Thank you for viewing my auction.
The diameter of impeller is 35mm,you have two options for spare: brassed one US$12-/ea for Top power usage( 11.1V~22.2V), plastic one US$5-/ea
for normal battery power usage(7.4~11.1 V)

So it is larger than the KMB 28mm drive, but not as overly large as the Graupner 40mm drive. Quite interesting.
That is VERY Interesting!
$20.00 shipping and an Auction format could make it a little expensive. We'll have to watch that one.

By the way wasn't it you that just bought another new jetdrive that had 3 different impellor choices,(2,3,and4 blade)?
How did that work?

John in Merrill
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:14 PM
Washington State
Joined Oct 2007
1,262 Posts
I did see that, and was going to post it, but got distracted. Thanks for doing that.

SO, that thing looks HUGE coming out of an NQD. I think it might be a great candidate for Chi's yellow boat, or maybe a scratch build. I'd like to know this - is the seller going to make/sell more?

I'm also a bit scared away by the auction format. I'd prefer a buy it now option. I don't mind the big shipping price if the buy it now stays decent.
7car7 is offline Find More Posts by 7car7
Old Mar 05, 2013, 01:11 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,375 Posts
Me, I'll stick with kmb, and the like..taiwan aint gonna work for me..I need to have a viable parts supply, kmb is a 30 yr old company..like graupner.

Johnny, I use cowles too, their commercial line, I buy from vinyl graphics, a company in wisc.

Look at their catalog on line, if you want any stuff from them, call me, or pm me, I'll give you my account info, its wholesale only.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2013, 01:18 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,375 Posts
If, and thats the key word, if, I build a bigger jetted boat, would be with the 33 mm kmb, much more performance oriented design, but, the size boats we are using, thats way overkill..

Just 1 of the nice features on kmb is the grease port on top..keeps the shaft and rear bearing wet all the time..

Even tho these are toys, still got to remember the key to a good performing jet is its efficiency, period.

Anyone can make a jet..but, do they work?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2013, 01:40 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,375 Posts
To not let anyone hangin on that, because of my background, I have some, but not much education on hydrodynamic flow, but, I know enough to ask things, and understand the answers..lol

Kmb is a second generation company, when talking to the owner, which I usually do every week or so, by phone, we became friendly, Thomas' Father was a hydro engineer, flow based, that worked for the German government..so, he knew his stuff..

He is the one that designed the jets..thruout our conversations, we chatted about impeller sizes, multiple blade designs, etc..all of it was experimented with by his father, 2 blade is more efficient than 3 or 4, because of the size of the tunnel..more blades restrict flow more than 2..same with bowl design..

And on and on..even to the material they are made from..his dad was sharp, so is Thomas, all of his products are made in house.

But, they aint into high performance, but, good flow efficiency IS high performance..

And they overpower well, once I got them to quit blowing the stators out of the back..

And that was MY fault, overthinking the glue..once I used the proper glue, its been good.

I do, tho, have plenty in stock

Now, thats all on the bigger size jets. the nqd was a DIRECT copy of the Graupner, so, the nqd jet runs as well as the Graupner mini..I use the Graupner because of the easy parts availability to me.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Mar 05, 2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 01:56 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
1,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
Now, thats all on the bigger size jets. the kmb was a DIRECT copy of the Graupner, so, the kmb jet runs as well as the Graupner mini..I use the Graupner because of the easy parts availability to me.
You meant NQD in this part of your post, not kmb, I'm thinkin' And while I use the NQD tube mouldings, I think the Graupner 3mm shaft and their impeller plastic are superior - and its a lot easier to get impeller spares if/when needed Although, to be fair, we've only had one person complaining of an NQD impeller slipping on its shaft, and a big rock or twig will destroy the NQD or Graupner impellers with equal ease!
madbugger is offline Find More Posts by madbugger
Last edited by madbugger; Mar 05, 2013 at 02:13 PM.