HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2012, 06:14 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
1,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
Thanks, Energy.

I'll start by getting it to work brushed, with a servo, then try it with a different brushed motor, maybe. I have plenty of spares removed from planes (usually before they were ever flown), from 280 up to 550 size.

I may go brushless eventually, but I'm not looking to make it very fast, and my brushed motors in boats last forever because they don't get used very often.

I may have to buy the ESC (not sure if I've got a spare hiding somewhere) but I have some scale boats that need fitting out, so it will get rehoused if I decide to go brushless.

I have a spare 18A brushless car ESC, but it's only air cooled and not water tight. It has a nice finned heatsink, so I suppose I could mount it where the fake motor is and try to make it water tight. It's probably easier to just buy a water cooled marine one though and save that for a car.
I don't think 18A will be enough for this setup unless you use the 2040 motor on 2S maybe. Either way odds are it's going to get wet, so a marine ESC is the way to go. Also, even on 3S and with a fairly large (2445 or 2845) motor these boats aren't that fast, especially compared to a similarly powered surface drive prop boat. They do however have a lot of "grunt" even from a standstill since the impeller doesn't cavitate the way a prop would under similar conditions. The fun part with these boats is shooting rapids in a creek, so you want to have enough power on tap to move easily against the current.

Mine is powered with a 2445 3200kV inrunner on 3S with a Turnigy SeaKing 35A ESC, and it is fast, but not as fast as some of the other setups I've seen. You could probably go a little lower on the motor kV, say around 2800, and have a more efficient setup.

Here's mine in action:
NQD Jet Boating Inch Creek (4 min 29 sec)
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2012, 06:50 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,756 Posts
Thanks, Firehawk989. That looks fun.

Yes, a 2040, or even 2030 with a 2s lipo was exactly what I had in mind - I have spares of both, in assorted Kv ratings.

I belong to a model boat club about 12 miles away, which uses part of a small lake that's also used for fishing on the opposite bank and further up on the same side. The only thing close to a weir is a small overspill into the adjoining lake, which is for 1:1 scale sail boats. I think the height varies. It would go down it, but maybe not come back up.

The pond is usually covered in assorted ducks, mostly mallards, and I wouldn't want to injure one, so I only drive slowly, as a rule.

This is more my usual level of model boating :

Trawler at Etherow Country Park 1 (3 min 0 sec)

Teaching a duck to swim (0 min 54 sec)

I made my own duck, as you can see. I hoped the other ducks would accept him as one of their own but, alas, no.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Jan 31, 2012, 07:00 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
1,990 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, Firehawk989. That looks fun.

Yes, a 2040, or even 2030 with a 2s lipo was exactly what I had in mind - I have spares of both, in assorted Kv ratings.

I belong to a model boat club about 12 miles away, which uses part of a small lake that's also used for fishing on the opposite bank and further up on the same side. The only thing close to a weir is a small overspill into the adjoining lake, which is for 1:1 scale sail boats. I think the height varies. It would go down it, but maybe not come back up.

The pond is usually covered in assorted ducks, mostly mallards, and I wouldn't want to injure one, so I only drive slowly, as a rule.

This is more my usual level of model boating :

http://vimeo.com/1218008

http://vimeo.com/6184637

I made my own duck, as you can see. I hoped the other ducks would accept him as one of their own but, alas, no.
Haha nice job on the duck! Well if you just want to motor around the pond, then you could probably just leave in the stock brushed motor and put in a good brushed ESC and servo. You probably don't even need to bother with water cooling. One thing about the jet drives however, is that they are a fair bit noisier than their submerged prop counterparts as well. The ducks will certainly steer clear of it no matter what speed you're traveling at.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 07:16 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,756 Posts
Thanks

Those are highly trained boating lake ducks, and are pretty unflappable, but if they do give it a wide berth, it could provide a useful service to other model boaters. Maybe I could use it for duck herding
Old Feb 09, 2012, 10:07 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,756 Posts
I tried mine yesterday, completely stock. There was only a small area of the lake by the landing stage that wasn't frozen so I could only run the motor in very short bursts. It seems to have plenty of power for that lake though.

I decided to run some clean water through the jet drive by holding it running in the bath, and I did a static thrust test while I was doing it.

I got about 6.3A at 7.4V on an 8 cell NiCd (not actually the one it came with because that one was charging up).

I've recently acquired a 10A Hitec SP-610 RF boat ESC so I might use that. It has reverse, but no BEC. I have dead model airfraft ESCs where the BEC still works so that's not a problem. It's a big gold brick with small fins so I'll see if I can mount it where the fake engine block is.

The ducks didn't seem at all bothered by it, incidentally. I'll have to see if they react any differently when I get a chance to run the motor for longer.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 02:38 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
1,990 Posts
Quote:
I tried mine yesterday, completely stock. There was only a small area of the lake by the landing stage that wasn't frozen so I could only run the motor in very short bursts. It seems to have plenty of power for that lake though.

I decided to run some clean water through the jet drive by holding it running in the bath, and I did a static thrust test while I was doing it.

I got about 6.3A at 7.4V on an 8 cell NiCd (not actually the one it came with because that one was charging up).

I've recently acquired a 10A Hitec SP-610 RF boat ESC so I might use that. It has reverse, but no BEC. I have dead model airfraft ESCs where the BEC still works so that's not a problem. It's a big gold brick with small fins so I'll see if I can mount it where the fake engine block is.

The ducks didn't seem at all bothered by it, incidentally. I'll have to see if they react any differently when I get a chance to run the motor for longer.
Yea these boats don't draw too many amps because the impeller is only 19mm in diameter, so it's pretty easy to spin compared to a 30mm or 32mm prop that a boat of the same size would normally use. Enjoy your new jet boat!
Old Feb 10, 2012, 04:53 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,756 Posts
Thanks, Firehawk989. It's just occurred to me - will reverse actually work with a jet drive? I don't mean well, just at all. If I can back it away from the bank or some reeds I've got too close to (or the edge of the ice, like on Wednesday), at low speed, that's all I need it to do.

Is there a good way to remove the blue stars from the front? I've got the white one. Most of the decoration is fine, I just don't really like the stars, and I don't particularly feel like painting it.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 07:13 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,815 Posts
You need a reverse "bucket" which diverts thrust forward. The original graupner mini jet drive (this drive is a copy of it) came with the bucket.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:55 AM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
1,990 Posts
It may work (poorly) by reversing the motor as well, but you would have no steering control in reverse. The reverse bucket is the best way to do it, but I'm not sure if the graupner part can be made to fit on the NQD drive.

For removing the paint, I heard that eucalyptus oil works without damaging the plastic.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 01:54 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,756 Posts
Thanks, wparsons and Firehawk989.

The bucket thing is interesting. I don't really want to go to those extremes though. If I can get it to go backwards at all, however slowly and with or without steering, that'll do. I'll hook up the ESC soon and see how it goes.

Eucalyptus oil does work to get the paint off. I also had some orange oil, so I tried that as well - that works too. I think it looks much better without the blue stars (and smells much nicer ). I left the rest of it as it was.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 08:13 AM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
Glad to hear the paint came off yours so well. Didn't for me, i tried everything. Eventually i just spray primed over the logos then painted. Looked good after that.
Energy is offline Find More Posts by Energy
Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:13 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,756 Posts
I used the oils on a bit of kitchen roll. I like the smell of the orange oil better than the eucalyptus so I finished it with that, but they both seemed to work about as well as each other.

It didn't seem to want to move at first but I noticed a blue mark on the paper so I kept at it. Wetting the kitchen roll with the oil then holding it pressed against the star for a while seemed to help.

I haven't tried removing any of the logos. It was just the stars that bothered me.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:33 PM
Model trains, Rc Boats, Rc air
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2009
385 Posts
Does anyone have a modified nqd jet boat for sale
6789boat is offline Find More Posts by 6789boat
Old Feb 16, 2012, 05:45 AM
Joined May 2010
13 Posts
see page 11 post #164 i think, he was selling one
madmax3022 is offline Find More Posts by madmax3022
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:44 PM
Dongskie
Philippines, NCR, Mandaluyong City
Joined Jul 2007
1,077 Posts

Hi Mozzy, would you happen to know the hole diameter of the aluminum coupler?

And a photo of the impeller?

Thanks mate
Dongskie is offline Find More Posts by Dongskie
Last edited by Dongskie; Feb 19, 2012 at 08:19 PM.