Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
No Problem Guys

Just curious about almost everything.

John
Well, as I say, you won't have a problem on smooth water. But once you're used to it, don't blame any of us if the urge to try more demanding conditions takes hold. Like Bonneville racers get 'salt fever', owning a modded NQD is almost bound to bring on an attack of 'white-water affliction' eventually
madbugger is offline Find More Posts by madbugger
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:17 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,707 Posts
In fact, thats why I ALSO built the other 2 boats, because I realize that my crawling will be the small percentage of use, not by choice, but because that type of water here in the urban area has been gone for years..

We have found 2 spots, all quite a drive, which we will be using, but not as often as lakes.

We are making bouyed courses for that, the nqd as a lake boat leaves a lot to be desired, in size, and speed, and staying hooked up in any kind of chop.

Thats why I went to the longer, bigger jetted, glass boats, lake and normal water usage, they wouldnt last 5 min. crawlin, tho, they would break.

The nqd, and Steve's clone are the IDEAL boat for crawlin..

His new, longer boat will be interesting for the crawlers to experiment with, to see if its better or worse in the rocks..as the material is the same, the durability will be there the same, but the bigger boat will be so much easier to rig, and allow for more options, like the kmb, different battery location, bigger batts for more run time, etc.

Just NOT having to work within the cut hole of the nqd was great, no deck is soo nice. and the bigger boat will be even better..
chidago is offline Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Feb 18, 2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:27 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,707 Posts
And, nqd also make a larger boat, 533mm bout the same as my new yellow one, its 535mm..it uses the same jet, comes in yellow and white, also..
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Feb 18, 2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:45 AM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
And, nqd also make a larger boat, 533mm bout the same as my new yellow one, its 535mm..it uses the same jet, comes in yellow and white, also..
Ya It's supposed to be at Banggod.com but it's sold out just like the NQD Tear Into. http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-No...t-p-48328.html

Banggood.com FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE No minimum purchase required

NQD NO.757T-6038 1:10 RC Remote Control Racing Boat
SKU: SKU025619 Sold: 2
(0 reviews)
Usually shipping in 1-3 Days Worldwide Free Shipping
Qty.Range(unit) 1 3 10 30 100
Price(per unit) US$ 55.47 54.16 53.57 52.99 52.40
US$ 55.47 Color: White or Yellow SOLD OUT
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:00 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
1,993 Posts
Glad you enjoyed my vid! Wish I had a bit more underwater footage, but the camera got knocked over and was facing the bottom for the rest of that clip. Next time I will shore it up a little better under there. I also should have tried for a higher camera angle on that rapid I was surfing, it had a really cool flow pattern that you mostly couldn't see in the vid.

J, as the others pointed out, flipping the boat is par for the course when you're running rapids. I try to always keep a big stick nearby so I can either flip it over, or get it back to me before it goes too far downstream. Near the end it flipped again and I had to chase it down to that flatwater area where I shot the speed runs. Also, there is more than enough power on tap to make it over those rapids, there were a couple short clips where I got flushed downstream and had to blast my way back up through there. Not a problem unless I got turned around or smacked into something!

Lots of fun!!!

Edit: No, they haven't finished my private creek yet! I'm thinking it will be ready sometime in the next week or two though!
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:18 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,707 Posts
Fire, the underwater was good..hope you can get it sorted, THAT would look sweet
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:19 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,707 Posts
BUT, I'll help feed Steve's kids before I buy from them..
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Feb 18, 2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:44 PM
Ireland, Leitrim
Joined Oct 2009
610 Posts
Fire great video, I really enjoyed that one. I can hear my river beckoning my name. But I just know my boat has plans to elude me. I've a couple days off soon, so I'm hoping to get out running with the boat for at least a bit. Seems like it's been ages since I've had it in the water.

pwjo, welcome to the forum

John, your boat is coming along very nicely. I really like the themed builds.
Tiernan85 is offline Find More Posts by Tiernan85
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:47 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,707 Posts
Atta boy, T..get it done, bro..
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:20 PM
Washington State
Joined Oct 2007
1,260 Posts
Fire, that was a fun vid. You've got a great stream there. I'm going to have to travel a bit (about 45 minutes or so) to get a good one like that. Our local stuff is either too flat and shallow, or is too wide and deep. (a motor/prop failure means loss of boat).
7car7 is offline Find More Posts by 7car7
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:30 PM
Washington State
Joined Oct 2007
1,260 Posts
As promised, here's a couple pics of the latest Pinewood Derby car. Race is supposed to be this Wednesday. I don't think this one is as fast as my red and white So-Cal Special, but it won't be slow. The So-Cal sort of rolls a bit longer on a flat counter top when nudged. We'll see.

I'm a bit disappointed with the pinstripe job, but it looks pretty good in person.
The blue is Volkswagen Stratos Blue.
The grill and wheel rims are wrapped with that thin chrome sheet you get at the hobby store.
The "13" on the sides is also the chrome foil - I first sanded in swirls with 1000 grit paper, then did a fade job with yellow, orange and red transparent acrylic.
Roll cage is aluminum tube.
Driver is a Lego helmet. (shhhh, don't tell the kids)

Fun build.

1934 Ford Lakester.
7car7 is offline Find More Posts by 7car7
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:43 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
1,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7car7 View Post
Fire, that was a fun vid. You've got a great stream there. I'm going to have to travel a bit (about 45 minutes or so) to get a good one like that. Our local stuff is either too flat and shallow, or is too wide and deep. (a motor/prop failure means loss of boat).
Being in Washington State, you are likely in the same climate zone as me, (Rain!!!) I would be surprised if you couldn't find something around you if you look hard enough. Sometimes a scouting mission on Google maps and/or in the car is a necessary part of NQD ownership! I have found some good options, but also non-options in my wanderings.

Nice job on the car!
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:52 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,707 Posts
Car looks great, 7 Fire, thats true, but, me, I gotta google 45 miles away to start..lol the rain is the key..lately, past few years, snow, and heavy rains, have not been happenin'
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:06 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,425 Posts
Hey Chi Daddy!!!
Look up Wausau Kayak run http://wausauwhitewater.org/

That is my hometown and the kayak run is just a controlled off channel of the Wisconsin river I live on. My home and this run are 15 minutes from each other. I will have to look at what they have going there on an off day. They have an Olympic world class kayak/canoe track. They can, with a valve make it look like a strong drop from somewhere in the hindi mountains, a rock climber hot spot in NZ, or a put down the Wisconsin/Mississippi.

Maybe as the lazy city that Wausau is, it could be a world class NQD run without any flow changes.

I'll look soon, cause they have open water even now when the rest of us have 18 inches of ice.

John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:28 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,707 Posts
John, back bout 10-15 yrs ago, almost moved to wausau, tried to buy the Chrysler/toyota dealership that was there then, was a family store, the father died, kid ruined everything, was a beautiful store, set up in a never used home depot building..had a 75 car showroom..lol

Had houses picked out for me and my managers, etc., interviewed all the current help, but, at the end of the day, they couldnt convey title to the property..
RCG Plus Member