SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:27 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
Thats the motor I use in mine..bolts right to the nqd..

Here is a pic for one I built for a friend..the stealth boat..
What I figure is somewhere near 27,000 to 31,500 RPM on 2S. That should be more than plenty for my brain to follow up and down the river from my dock.

John
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:16 PM
Washington State
Joined Oct 2007
1,264 Posts
The graphics look great Chi! Very sharp.
7car7 is offline Find More Posts by 7car7
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:05 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
7,518 Posts
Thanks, 7, the windshield is giving me fits, its compound angle, hard to get vinyl to conform, painting it on wont give it a smooth look.. airbrush is easy, except for the shading..and this is small, then going over it to take off the overspray with a Q-tip with thinner..lol
chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:20 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
What I figure is somewhere near 27,000 to 31,500 RPM on 2S. That should be more than plenty for my brain to follow up and down the river from my dock.

John
Yep, that will be super reliable and reasonably fast on 2S, and if you want to try for Chi's NQD speed record sometime in the future, you could! (But make sure your wallet is full first!)

Nice job on the graphics Chi! That's a sweet looking boat! Still looking forward to Steve's plastic version.
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:59 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,518 Posts
Thanks Fire, here's the last of the stripin, if it were bigger, I would do a more elaborate job, but, looks good enough for me..

When I get the hatch figured out, more will be done on that.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:25 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,518 Posts
Cant wait for the steve boat, cause that wont just be a lake sissy, it'll look AND cook..
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:03 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,518 Posts
I'm now at a stand still, I think, need the motor..

Really cant do much, got the water lines in, and thats all I can do now..

Somebody else gotta put up the entertainment..

Fire, give us some of those excellent pics. T, go SINK something..7, you aint showed us anything in a while, you either Mad..
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:19 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,432 Posts
Don't Laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's only some crappy Colored duct tape to start looking at colors and patterns!

I'm starting to HATE the orangish yellow of the NQD! It will likely get turned to white real soon then we can proceed properly from there.

I don't like the pattern so far either, but I have no patience to paint it until I have colors and patterns decided on.

Just ordered a proper Hitec X4 4 port charger for all of these batteries around here. Ebay had a factory refurb for $119. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:L:OC:US:3160

John in Merrill

PS Hey Chi looks like you got some vinyl cut pretty close to correct for that windshield!! Looks great! What did you think about the metal swirl pattern for your dash?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:54 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,518 Posts
looked at it, actually did a test spray, but, in keeping with a normal boat dash, il just leave it in the glass, put some gauges on when i get a new blade for my cutter..goes thru blades like water..

The windshield was a trip, wanted the notch on the bottom, took 3 hrs to get it right..without a program, never could have done it.

Plus, boat aint worth enough to keep going, lotta hrs. here now, like my nqd, which I have probably 25+ hrs just flowing and blueprinting the jet, its kinda silly, even for me..

Cause at the end of the day, its a 50 buck nqd..lol

Great charger, bro..
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:55 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,518 Posts
Geo, you been quiet too..whats up??
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:44 PM
Washington State
Joined Oct 2007
1,264 Posts
Well, I've been pulled away again (Squirrel! ).

At my work, once a year, we have a Pinewood Derby contest. I've been building a car for the competition. I've done pretty well in the past, so I figured I had to put out something good this year again. I have no pics yet of this years car, it's not done yet, but I can show y'all the last few....

However, I did buy a $0.97 stainless strainer the other day. It's awaiting surgery.
Last edited by 7car7; Feb 13, 2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:08 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7car7 View Post
Well, I've been pulled away again (Squirrel! ).

At my work, once a year, we have a Pinewood Derby contest. I've been building a car for the competition. I've done pretty well in the past, so I figured I had to put out something good this year again. I have no pics yet of this years car, it's not done yet, but I can show y'all the last few....

However, I did buy a $0.97 stainless strainer the other day. It's awaiting surgery.
WOW those look Great!!!! but nothing like the slabs of wood that were in the pre-packaged and approved kits we were given in Cub Scouts 50 years ago or so. Even the wheel axles had use the supplied in kit nails as axles for the out of round plastic wheels!
I think a couple of kids dads got real tricky and turned the nails in a lathe to get truer running. My Dad helped me build a real Soapbox Derby entry one year, but as I recall our only "POWER Tool" was an electric drill, so it wasn't as pretty as the ones who had dads in machine and body shops.

Congrats on the strainer! Can't wait for a performance review!

John in Merrill
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:17 PM
Washington State
Joined Oct 2007
1,264 Posts
Thanks! I'll get pics of the latest one soon. The previous ones used poplar, it's much nicer to work with than the original pine block. 2 of them are using the BSA wheels, just modded. The '32 woody was done for show. It was very slow.

The newest one I'm working on now is ALL BSA stuff. Wheels, axles, and block of wood. (not required for my work's contest.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post

Congrats on the strainer! Can't wait for a performance review!

John in Merrill
I am now trying to decide - should I put the mesh at a 45* angle to centerline, or just put the strands across. I'm leaning towards 45* - that might make them more durable to hitting rocks, rather than "catching" on them.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:34 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7car7 View Post

I am now trying to decide - should I put the mesh at a 45* angle to centerline, or just put the strands across. I'm leaning towards 45* - that might make them more durable to hitting rocks, rather than "catching" on them.

You almost certainly have enough material to do one of each! Even if you only got a baby sized Tea Strainer!
But I vote for the 45 degree angle. I might think 90 degree could create more drag. If it's anything like my Pizza Screens.

John
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:07 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
1,077 Posts
7car7 - it's up to you but there are good reasons to go for the 45^ angle. At least that's how mine's done although I guess it depends on what your strainer mesh looks like.

jgestner - I thought you had said you were going to restrict youself to 2s. And I told you not to run the 2040 4800 on more than 2s. At least you didn't go over 1/4 throttle. Is it in the boat and if so were you watercooling it. If not, you were lucky to get away with it. I see what you mean about not taking advice. I'll keep my mouth shut from now on
madbugger is offline Find More Posts by madbugger
Last edited by madbugger; Feb 13, 2013 at 04:17 PM.