HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:05 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,809 Posts
T, I'm turnin the kmb in the red one at about 36600, 3S 3270kv..and, I'm spinning the graupner higher, and the graupner aint flat in the middle, but, I have the clearaces right, too much, flat, too little, flat..but, the kmb aint flat on the big end, look a back a ways, and I did 2 gps runs on the kmb, 3S + 4S, so, it likes revs..

John, knock yourself out, bro..
chidago is offline Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:05 PM
Washington State
Joined Oct 2007
1,261 Posts
Chi, am I understanding correctly? Steve is going to be making ABS hulls based off of your larger yellow glass boat?

I need one of those.
7car7 is offline Find More Posts by 7car7
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:56 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,426 Posts
Hi Gang
Ice and snow
Snow and Ice
Yuk
Not a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
The old guy that lives here just can't seem to get it in gear today, so the new kids are just sitting on the countertop getting to know each other and kind of arguing about who gets the only watercooled brushless motor we have right now. It's only a 2040 4800Kv, so I don't know if the winner of the motor battle will get the good or bad end of the straw yet. We'll see

Have fun

John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:56 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,809 Posts
Yeah, 7, thats whats happening..

Did the servo and nozzle, and steering linkage today..hoping to do water and some electrical tomorrow..
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:14 PM
Washington State
Joined Oct 2007
1,261 Posts
Is a reverse bucket available for that drive?
7car7 is offline Find More Posts by 7car7
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:14 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7car7 View Post
The standard fitment for this boat (the New Sprint 'Splash') is the 28mm drive without reverse, because the full-size sprint boats don't feature one. But the 28mm jet is available with various 'ends' including 2 types of reverse so I don't see any reason why you couldn't have one on it if you fancy it
http://www.jet-drive.de/index.php?op...id=4&Itemid=17
just depends on the use you have in mind, and (of course) how deep your pockets are
madbugger is offline Find More Posts by madbugger
Last edited by madbugger; Feb 11, 2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:30 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7car7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbugger View Post
The standard fitment for this boat (the New Sprint Splash) is the 28mm drive without reverse, because the full-size sprint boats don't feature one. But the 28mm jet is available with various 'ends' including 2 types of reverse so I don't see any reason why you couldn't have one on it if you fancy it
http://www.jet-drive.de/index.php?op...id=4&Itemid=17
just depends on the use you have in mind, and (of course) how deep your pockets are

It looks like you can buy and use the jet drive and replace afterwards with different "Rear" ends at a later date, or even for different days of the week or water situation including 2 kinds of reverse mechanism.
Kind of a good idea

John in Merrill
Last edited by jgestner; Feb 12, 2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:38 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
Hi Gang
Ice and snow
Snow and Ice
Yuk
It's only a 2040 4800Kv, so I don't know if the winner of the motor battle will get the good or bad end of the straw yet. We'll see
]
The 2040 bit is perfectly OK (unless you are a hooligan like Chi!). Its the 4800 bit Jguilty was told about. Don't run it on any more than 2s.

You were commenting on the fact your NQD had 5 screws underneath. This came up on the thread 60 odd pages ago. For the last year or so, they've all come like that.The extra screw locates some of the stock radio gear you will be junking. Just fill the hole afterwards
Last edited by madbugger; Feb 11, 2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:58 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbugger View Post
The 2040 bit is perfectly OK (unless you are a hooligan like Chi!). Its the 4800 bit Jguilty was told about. Don't run it on any more than 2s.

You were commenting on the fact your NQD had 5 screws underneath. This came up on the thread 60 odd pages ago. For the last year or so, they've all come like that.The extra screw locates some of the stock radio gear you will be junking. Just fill the hole afterwards
Thanks Mad man on the "Screw" question, and thanks on the motor question as well. The yellow boat and 2040 4800KV are indeed his, jguilty, along with 4 2200 2S bats and spare impellors and a couple of servos. I'll still need a motor for the 2nd boat and probably wouldn't mind sticking with the 2S batteries. Something bugs me about leaky boats/ overturned boats and high voltage.

I am a few months past my need to race......... OK maybe more than 20 years beyond a need to race. Any ideas for another motor for #2 boat or is that 2040 preferred for my style and testosterone count?

Thanks for any advise.
I don't always listen good, but after 40 years of marriage, I always get both sides.

John in Merrill
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:09 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,809 Posts
$32.00 in US for the reverse set up, 23 euros..and then you need a servo..
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:59 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,809 Posts
So, jguilty sold out and moved on, huh?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:31 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
$32.00 in US for the reverse set up, 23 euros..and then you need a servo..
Quote:
Hey Chi Daddy
Ya Jguilty must have given up. I got his stuff now. Hmmm............. what could it have been that made him less interested,
Could it have been the watercooling tube that was broken off the jacket, or was it the puffed battery that I received with the other 3 that MIGHT be OK?

We will see in the next episode of JetBoat undercovers.

John
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:49 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
968 Posts
Quote:
So it appears. That explains why he hasn't been around for a while. Still it seems his stuff is not going to waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
I'll still need a motor for the 2nd boat and probably wouldn't mind sticking with the 2S batteries.
John in Merrill
The advantages of going to 3s include using a lower Kv motor and thus getting longer run times from a given size of lipo. But if you want to stick with 2s that's perfectly fine. Just pick a motor of no more than 4200Kv next time, and perhaps lower than even that (to reduce cavitation). A 20mm, 24 or 28mm dia motor will do. Most of the original gurus seemed to go for the 20mm but if you are planning mostly lake use you could go with the bigger sizes, as long as you pick one that's not too thirsty if you are staying with 2s. People in the US will have more idea of what's available locally. Don't think you have to look for watercooled motors exclusively. You can source an aftermarket cooling jacket in aluminum or silicone for most sizes, or do as Fire has often advised and roll-your-own from alu tube. Fill it with salt before you start rolling it (to keep it from kinking), roll it around your chosen motor then take it off and use water to melt away the salt at the end of the process.

and now you've got a chance to use your JBWeld - to repair that broken cooling connection
Last edited by madbugger; Feb 11, 2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:50 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,809 Posts
Well, I gotta hitch in the giddyup..got to have a friend make me up some specific gold connectors, I am out of em..

This electric stuff is to new to me to have good supplies in stock yet..

But, aint no motor anyway..
RCG Plus Member