8 Posts
i hate my nqd
Crimp is offline Find More Posts by Crimp
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:12 AM
Platinum Card Member
Joined Sep 2007
326 Posts
My Tear Into is one of the most fun and reliable boats in my fleet. What's the problem Crimp?
sundogz is offline Find More Posts by sundogz
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:56 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
1,966 Posts
The impression I get is that he can't afford to/doesn't want to put in the time and/or money and/or effort required to do a proper brushless conversion, which is the only thing that makes these boats fun and reliable.
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Jan 23, 2012, 03:14 PM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
The only thing that i found to be a little bit finicky was the sealing of the drive and canopy with this boat. eventually just gave up and drilled a drain hole in the back.

But i can't complain as this is the only boat i have that can rip up and down the creek.
Energy is offline Find More Posts by Energy
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:18 AM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
The only thing that i found to be a little bit finicky was the sealing of the drive and canopy with this boat. eventually just gave up and drilled a drain hole in the back.

But i can't complain as this is the only boat i have that can rip up and down the creek.
Yea mine lets all kinds of water in, but I just pour it out through the antenna hole at the end of a run or if it gets a case of dragonass from being full of water.

Once it got wedged underwater at the top of a small waterfall and completely filled with water for 5-10 min while I was searching for it. Still responded to control inputs after I pulled it out! Gotta love shoe goo and marine grease!
Old Jan 27, 2012, 09:59 AM
United States, WA, Onalaska
Joined Oct 2011
4 Posts
My nqd jet boat and hauler
rjwalker is offline Find More Posts by rjwalker
Old Jan 27, 2012, 03:34 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwalker View Post
My nqd jet boat and hauler
Sweet rig!
Old Jan 27, 2012, 09:58 PM
Cookie
Australia, NSW, Petersham
Joined Sep 2005
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimp View Post
i hate my nqd
What's going on mate?

Talk to me... Where r u? Fix your settings.

I like your post, short & sweet. Made me laugh, sorry mate.

Huge NQD nutjobs here, just ask my friend.

Regards
Pete
10x8 is offline Find More Posts by 10x8
Old Jan 27, 2012, 09:59 PM
Cookie
Australia, NSW, Petersham
Joined Sep 2005
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk989 View Post
Sweet rig!
+1

Nice
10x8 is offline Find More Posts by 10x8
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:10 PM
Joined Jan 2012
11 Posts
i want one and cant find one online. where can i get a stock one????
jessezipper is offline Find More Posts by jessezipper
Old Jan 30, 2012, 05:49 PM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessezipper View Post
Hmmmmm... Everywhere I'm looking is saying out of stock. I hope they didn't stop manufacturing them. Quick everybody stock up on used tear intos.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:58 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessezipper View Post
Where do you live? You can set that in your profile to make answering questions like that easier

I live in the UK and I just bought one from http://www.gadgetbox.co.uk/Products/...ats/c-151.html - 1 GBP is about 2/3 of a US dollar, give or take. It should be here soon.

I saw it on ebay first, Buy it Now, but those were a bit dearer, and I prefer to buy from a proper online shop if possible.

I've only briefly dipped into this thread, so far. Has anyone tried just fitting a good brushed ESC to the stock motor? I don't suppose it would be fast enough to satisfy most of you, but the pond I use isn't really for speed boats anyway.

I assume these things are just on or off and bang bang (all or nothing) steering til you modify them? Nothing I've seen so far tells me either way, but for the price I guess they must be.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:26 PM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
Where do you live? You can set that in your profile to make answering questions like that easier

I live in the UK and I just bought one from http://www.gadgetbox.co.uk/Products/...ats/c-151.html - 1 GBP is about 2/3 of a US dollar, give or take. It should be here soon.

I saw it on ebay first, Buy it Now, but those were a bit dearer, and I prefer to buy from a proper online shop if possible.

I've only briefly dipped into this thread, so far. Has anyone tried just fitting a good brushed ESC to the stock motor? I don't suppose it would be fast enough to satisfy most of you, but the pond I use isn't really for speed boats anyway.

I assume these things are just on or off and bang bang (all or nothing) steering til you modify them? Nothing I've seen so far tells me either way, but for the price I guess they must be.
You could put a decent brushed esc in there if you want. Its a pretty small motor though. If you want to stick with brushed, at least get a slightly bigger, higher quality motor. You can get them dirt cheap and that way you can up the battery if you find down the road you want more speed.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:29 PM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post

Missed this the first time around. Correct on that one, its all or nothing, so is throttle. Definitely get your self a cheap little micro servo if you go with the esc upgrade.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 04:36 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,735 Posts
Thanks, Energy.

I'll start by getting it to work brushed, with a servo, then try it with a different brushed motor, maybe. I have plenty of spares removed from planes (usually before they were ever flown), from 280 up to 550 size.

I may go brushless eventually, but I'm not looking to make it very fast, and my brushed motors in boats last forever because they don't get used very often.

I may have to buy the ESC (not sure if I've got a spare hiding somewhere) but I have some scale boats that need fitting out, so it will get rehoused if I decide to go brushless.

I have a spare 18A brushless car ESC, but it's only air cooled and not water tight. It has a nice finned heatsink, so I suppose I could mount it where the fake motor is and try to make it water tight. It's probably easier to just buy a water cooled marine one though and save that for a car.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No