SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:02 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyeros View Post
hehe, it's not a problem at all. 5 bucks and now I see it as this nice piece of art . It's a very nice piece of aluminum eheh.

On the side notes, all my part come from china. Took 3 weeks and now I just need some tubing and I'm ready to start building. Will probably tored the old one out this week

Excellent! Time to start "Tearing Into" your Tear Into!
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:05 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post

Sorry Gang I am not up to drafting today so try to imagine my Poly Stuff intake grate from this rough "Napkin" sketch. The nylon Teflon like material should be able to be machined into some shape like some metal ones I have seen posted on this thread. If I have a different idea, it would be that this grate could double as screen with a bit of a scoop loading to it, as well as have some fin-like side "Strakes"???? on it that would possibly help run true, but glide over any obstacle. As the material we are looking at is stronger than steel, I see it taking a fair amount of abuse before wearing or breaking.

OH Well..... Just a thought.

John
Better still, machine it like you sketched, but use it to replace the entire wedge/grate assembly in the stock boat. 1-piece drop-in replacement ultra-durable grate!
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:07 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk989 View Post
Hmmm, need a title for my paper...

"Flow characteristics and cavitation resistance in aerated water using scale model water jet propulsion."

That oughta do!

Also, on the subject of coatings and whatnot, this stuff looks pretty darn cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPM8OR6W6WE
Just like the coating on the bottom of the King Fisher Jetboat this hydrophobic stuff may entail a small upcharge to carwax

John
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:09 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk989 View Post
better still, machine it like you sketched, but use it to replace the entire wedge/grate assembly in the stock boat. 1-piece drop-in replacement ultra-durable grate!
ok

Oh CHI DOG???????.............. I may have a small favor to ask
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:39 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
7,562 Posts
Lemmie ask somethin here..WHY are u tryin to redo the bottom???
chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:00 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk989 View Post
Better still, machine it like you sketched, but use it to replace the entire wedge/grate assembly in the stock boat. 1-piece drop-in replacement ultra-durable grate!
Quote:

Sorry Gang I am not up to drafting today so try to imagine my Poly Stuff intake grate from this rough "Napkin" sketch. The nylon Teflon like material should be able to be machined into some shape like some metal ones I have seen posted on this thread. If I have a different idea, it would be that this grate could double as screen with a bit of a scoop loading to it, as well as have some fin-like side "Strakes"???? on it that would possibly help run true, but glide over any obstacle. As the material we are looking at is stronger than steel, I see it taking a fair amount of abuse before wearing or breaking.
OH Well..... Just a thought.

John
Just got my first stocker "Tear Into" from the Brown truck. Bottom intake looks a bit weak.

John
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:17 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,562 Posts
Keep in mind WHAT has to be done..load the jet..2nd, not overload the jet, nor, do anything like fins that affect directional control and ability..this pic aint on a mirror, it channels the load right to the impeller..

take a page from the real ones..
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:22 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
1,097 Posts
Quote:
Just got my first stocker "Tear Into" from the Brown truck. Bottom intake looks a bit weak.
John
When you take it apart you will see the bottom grate goes inside the drive and locates on the two bottom screws in the nozzle assembly. Not that an aftermarket piece would have to follow the same procedure but, if so, you need to start with a very thick piece of whatever

Bit like when they built the Concorde SST. Started with titanium and super-high-grade alu alloys 120mm thick and finished (after much milling) with a light skin and stringers on the inside all from one billet of metal for strength through uniformity of flow. And believe me, all the 'waste' was recycled. No swarf left on the floor in those machine shops.
madbugger is offline Find More Posts by madbugger
Last edited by madbugger; Feb 08, 2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:26 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
Keep in mind WHAT has to be done..load the jet..2nd, not overload the jet, nor, do anything like fins that affect directional control and ability..this pic aint on a mirror, it channels the load right to the impeller..

take a page from the real ones..
That looks super nice and I think your pic of it the first time was in my mind as part of my intake grate ideas.

A boy can dreammmmmmmmmmmmmm..............................

John

I gotta go hit the showers boys. SOme guy down the highway in a stainless steel kitchen is thawing some haddock for me as we speak.
Have a Great Weekend!!!
Last edited by jgestner; Feb 08, 2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:30 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,156 Posts
I don't think we need a scoop or custom intake for these, just a more durable replacement for the wedge/grate assembly in the stock unit. Those little plastic rods that make up the stock grate are very weak, I'm surprised I still have 3 of them intact.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:34 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,562 Posts
Exactly.. made mine outta stainless rod
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:03 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,432 Posts
Honeyy I'mmm Hommmmme!

What did we decide?

My new stock NQD has 5 screw holes on the bottom. If it's not needed, it will disappear soon. Most of the picks in the thread only show 4. Haven't had time to do the surgery on the hatch yet to see what's inside.

John
Last edited by jgestner; Feb 08, 2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:26 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,562 Posts
Ok, Ladies, time to save a little dough..the new kmb showed up..

First, his quality is outstanding..hard to impress me, seriously.

Second, LOOKIT THE BOTTOM PAD ! no better than that..

Third, this IS what Steves boat is gonna be, in the plastic thats needed for crawlin...but, the bigger boat and jet gives you a decent runnin lake boat too..1 boat fits all..
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:35 AM
Joined Feb 2013
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
Ok, Ladies, time to save a little dough..the new kmb showed up..

First, his quality is outstanding..hard to impress me, seriously.

Second, LOOKIT THE BOTTOM PAD ! no better than that..

Third, this IS what Steves boat is gonna be, in the plastic thats needed for crawlin...but, the bigger boat and jet gives you a decent runnin lake boat too..1 boat fits all..
Wow, you make me jealous
edri is offline Find More Posts by edri
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:47 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,562 Posts
LOL..E, hope not..but, this should be a nice boat, would be better in the upcoming plastic, but good for the lakes I have, my friend.
RCG Plus Member