SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:03 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,817 Posts
Yeah, cut the old one off to start, and one post at a time, and open the predrilled holes more..
chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:06 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbugger View Post
In fact, one of my buddies has just bought me a Mode1 Tx off ebay (have always been a Mode2 pilot) and once I've got a Tx tray (another first for me) I'm going to try flying one of my electrogliders when summer comes, just letting go of the left joystick long enough to work the righthand throttle. We'll see if it's feasible to teach an old dog a new trick.. Not the kind of aerobatic flight I'm used to, but if it works it will be better than nothing. Need to get airborne again some way.
There's got to be some accessibility/usability tips here in RCGroups for you. I know I am even looking at some super simple foamies and planes like a slow stick that will just float at a certain throttle setting. Slow sticks and a lot of the Cessna-type trainers can do that. I don't know enough about the sailplanes you might have to know how docile they can be. I can still use 2 hands, but I wouldn't mind a super lazy slo flyer that could be pretty much done with just one.
Gotta be a way! Good luck, and I'd be happy to help you search if you like.

John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:17 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Hi Gang
The more pictures and websites I look at of the real Jet boat in those videos above, the more I think I see that they seem to be screwing or riveting that Teflon-like sheeting to the metal hull. Maybe it's not feasible for us.

On the other hand I did find a place that sells it in what they call slick strip in a self adhesive tape form. http://www.eplastics.com/Slick_Strips
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:25 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,817 Posts
Any and all comments from me are IF we had creeks like that ANYWHERE close to me at all, I would be ordering one of those TODAY.. dead serious too..I love anything in motorsports that violent..I still run my bikes, and motocross some, but, THAT looks like the deal.. put a 250hp blown seadoo engine and jet in it, OOOH YEAH!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:29 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
[
And in .060 sheets that could be cut into strips for some reinforcement on the bottom of our hulls at
http://www.interstateplastics.com/Na...calculate.y=16
Good hunting. The only problem is the bit on that site about it not being UV stabilised and saying the IPX UMHW is preferred in outdoor situations. They feature that type as well but only in red and it's .250 thick. Mind you, it depends what they mean by not being UV stable. If it would last a couple of years if kept inside when not in use, that would suffice for us.
madbugger is offline Find More Posts by madbugger
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:30 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,817 Posts
John, the stuff that would work would be high-modulus polyethylene, which also works with water, and waxing it with the proper poly, will make it hugely slippery..nothing for shock tho, thats the need, shock load spread..
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:34 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Good hunting. The only problem is the bit on that site about it not being UV stabilised and saying the IPX UMHW is preferred in outdoor situations. They feature that type as well but only in red and it's .250 thick. Mind you, it depends what they mean by not being UV stable. If it would last a couple of years if kept inside when not in use, that would suffice for us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
John, the stuff that would work would be high-modulus polyethylene, which also works with water, and waxing it with the proper poly, will make it hugely slippery..nothing for shock tho, thats the need, shock load spread..
thick stuff might be real cool to use to machine out some custom Grill/grate/screens. 1/2 or 1 inch piece the size of a bic lighter is what I am going to ask for as a free scrap sample from a couple of these places, (and there are quite a few of them). Hey Mad I don't mind red.

John in Merrill
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:39 PM
Joined Jan 2013
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk989 View Post
Apologies for sorta giving you a bum-steer on that one. Maybe you could use it for a different boat or something in the future?
hehe, it's not a problem at all. 5 bucks and now I see it as this nice piece of art . It's a very nice piece of aluminum eheh.

On the side notes, all my part come from china. Took 3 weeks and now I just need some tubing and I'm ready to start building. Will probably tored the old one out this week

johnyeros is offline Find More Posts by johnyeros
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:51 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,817 Posts
J, u can get the high-modulus poly in .187...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:02 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
J, u can get the high-modulus poly in .187...
How about just a little thicker so as to be able to have a shape almost like turn fins on the back side edges of the grate/grill/intake? I'll draw a picture if you can't make sense of my gibberish.

John
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:23 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
969 Posts
Quote:
There's got to be some accessibility/usability tips here in RCGroups for you.
John in Merrill[
I've got gliders, electrogliders from mild to hotliners, and planes from very mild slow flyers to contest scale, pattern and pylon in electric and nitro. Must still be at least 40-odd flying things in the hangar room as we speak. If not more. (Before the stroke I was quite a succesful pilot and an instructor for my club). Thing is, pure gliders need a high start, an aerotow or a big slope and even the most basic electric slow flyer needs elevator and rudder (or ailerons) to turn smoothly - and often throttle at the same time. That's why I will start with one of my simplest electrogliders. I was righthanded and I'm now left with my (like most righthanders - less dextrous) left hand. One thing to control a boat in one dimension plus throttle on the same stick. That was hard enough at first. Don't even know if I will cope with pitch and yaw with my left hand yet. Hence starting with something simple.
Last edited by madbugger; Feb 10, 2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:28 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
969 Posts
Quote:
How about just a little thicker so as to be able to have a shape almost like turn fins on the back side edges of the grate/grill/intake? I'll draw a picture if you can't make sense of my gibberish.

John
Picture's worth a thousand words. (Sure I've heard that somewhere before)
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:33 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
969 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, cut the old one off to start, and one post at a time, and open the predrilled holes more..
Yes to all that, but there's one thing more to make it even easier. Leave you to figure it out.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:57 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,015 Posts
Quote:
Now the Uni is building you a playspace on campus, Fire, your next problem will be persuading them to come up with a research grant to fund your lunchtime studies!!
Hmmm, need a title for my paper...

"Flow characteristics and cavitation resistance in aerated water using scale model water jet propulsion."

That oughta do!

Also, on the subject of coatings and whatnot, this stuff looks pretty darn cool:
The Official Ultra-Ever Dry Product Video - Superhydrophobic and oleophobic coating (4 min 35 sec)
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:01 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:

John
Quote:
Picture's worth a thousand words. (Sure I've heard that somewhere before)

Sorry Gang I am not up to drafting today so try to imagine my Poly Stuff intake grate from this rough "Napkin" sketch. The nylon Teflon like material should be able to be machined into some shape like some metal ones I have seen posted on this thread. If I have a different idea, it would be that this grate could double as screen with a bit of a scoop loading to it, as well as have some fin-like side "Strakes"???? on it that would possibly help run true, but glide over any obstacle. As the material we are looking at is stronger than steel, I see it taking a fair amount of abuse before wearing or breaking.

OH Well..... Just a thought.

John