SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:02 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post

Gonna get the hull laid up next week, just dunno what color to do yet..

Take a look at the bigger quadcopter in my picture if it shows up big enough for you to see well. Post 1674
That's an aftermarket canopy for the Horizon Hobby Blade mQX. The point I am trying to make is that the Orange front/ white middle/ yellow back has been the best color combination I have found for visibility and orientation. Believe me, flying these little baby things outside makes that imperative.

I am loving fluorescent or at least blaze orange up front. There may be color/vision studies that say I am all wrong. I know that many many Fire companies are moving away from the normal red.

Come on gang let's all chime in on our color favs. Help out our poor Artistically challenged Chicago Boy!

John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Last edited by jgestner; Feb 05, 2013 at 07:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:09 PM
Ireland, Leitrim
Joined Oct 2009
625 Posts
I vote Ford Ampero Blue
Tiernan85 is offline Find More Posts by Tiernan85
Last edited by Tiernan85; Feb 05, 2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:18 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiernan85 View Post
I vote Ford Ampero Blue :P

Come on it's just not fair for you to post that without a picture! Some of us can't see, some of us can't ..... , some of us are too old to be doing silly things like building headers for a plastic toy we want to thrash to oblivion.

Point is can you show us a sample of that color?

John

by the way just for my own sake, I am tending to use what is called seagreen in this forum.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:34 PM
Ireland, Leitrim
Joined Oct 2009
625 Posts
Here's a good example
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:38 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
7,536 Posts
Yuppers..
chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:51 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiernan85 View Post
Here's a good example
Quote:
Yuppers..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post

Come on it's just not fair for you to post that without a picture! Some of us can't see, some of us can't ..... , some of us are too old to be doing silly things like building headers for a plastic toy we want to thrash to oblivion.

Point is can you show us a sample of that color?

John

by the way just for my own sake, I am tending to use what is called seagreen in this forum.

That doesn't do ANYTHING for an old farts eyesight/visual perception/orientation.
If you guys think that blue top white bottom is all you need, You haven't seen me flying a E-flite Micro-Corsair right at you at 13 MPH.

Lov ya all have a happy drink and go to bed.

John
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:04 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,155 Posts
Quote:
You know that, T, the new, shorter hull from kmb will be here tomorrow or next day, lookin forward to that too, it got here quick..along with 5 extra stators..i got so many now, it can spit em on a daily basis..
Speaking of new hulls, any word on Steve's larger-than-NQD hull?
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:06 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,536 Posts
Whats "seagreen" ??
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:07 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,536 Posts
Fire, give it bout a month..I have the inside, its going to be a great boat, the original was designed correctly, not a prop boat conversion,has a proper jet bottom..
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:13 PM
Ireland, Leitrim
Joined Oct 2009
625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post

That doesn't do ANYTHING for an old farts eyesight/visual perception/orientation.
If you guys think that blue top white bottom is all you need, You haven't seen me flying a E-flite Micro-Corsair right at you at 13 MPH.

Lov ya all have a happy drink and go to bed.

John
Hahaha!

I suppose to be honest, my running area is always fairly close to me with the jet boat so I've not been too concerned with ease of visibility. The PZ micro Trojan was the smallest thing I had flying around and it had a pretty visible scheme. This little Hubsan may prove more difficult but we'll see what sorta out door use it gets.

Similar to as Chi mentioned, I had a quick chat with Steve back in December and he said he was guessing late Feb for the new rig. Or maybe that was just the KMB in the current jet boat. Not 100% sure.

This is seagreen
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:56 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,536 Posts
DUH... I thought it had some other meaning..being Italian, has me always looking for a hidden devious meaning..
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:27 AM
Platinum Card Member
Joined Sep 2007
353 Posts
Wow, this thread sure moves along! By the time I get back to it, I have to read three or four pages to catch up.

Quote:
The auto bailers..a tapered tube with a ball in it, and a screen. every time I knew anyone using em, they leaked, and end the end, just failed. we run on clean lakes for the most part, no sand, silt, or other junk..anything gets between the ball and seat, you gotta leak...In a stream fulla stuff, me, I rather make the boat tight.
I couldn't agree more.It only takes a tiny bit of trash to hold it open. And whenever your boat stops (for whatever reason) you'll get a sinking feeling. Been there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edri View Post
anyone here can help me where i can find the abc hobby jet drive ??
i want attach to my NQD jetboat..
It has been out of production for several years. Keep an eye on ebay. (I have a couple here, but will hang on to them)

BTW, I bought that new jetdrive listed on ebay with the three extra impellers. I couldn't resist that price for a 48mm jet! We'll see how it's made. It's too new for any forum reviews, so it might as well be me putting it through the paces.

On bending the "expanded metal" grate so it acts as a scoop, I've done that very thing on my 28" Viper with Powerjet drive and it does help to keep prime, but doesn't seem to help with speed. I don't do that anymore, as it's not worth the effort.

I recently found/bought a vintage 25" glass Catamaran with a stepless hull that I plan to install a couple of NQD drives in. I had the idea several years ago while posting in the "All things jet drive" forum on RCU. Maybe I should start a similar thread here on RC Groups.
sundogz is offline Find More Posts by sundogz
Last edited by sundogz; Feb 06, 2013 at 12:53 AM. Reason: one more thing...
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:54 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,536 Posts
Nah...Sun, do it here..gotta keep the thread interesting, only so much can be said about a nqd, thread is about the people, not the topic, too..bigger the tread, better rc groups like it..best read thread on elc. boats racing, ya know..
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:28 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,432 Posts
What are you guys using for Transmitters and receivers in these boats. I have a bunch of different systems from Spektrum, Tactic, and a Turnigy/FlySky compatible 9X.
I'm thinking of getting the little $20.00 HobbyKing Car/Boat 2 channel 2.4 Ghz.

My Problem is that I am always nervous when my friends and family are hanging over the side of my pontoon boat with a good transmitter.
If you don't think I'll ever need 3 channels, maybe that little 2 channel would be fine. I suppose I could even spray it down on the transmitter circuitboard with Corrosion X to be safe. I already do that for the receivers.

John in Merrill
Last edited by jgestner; Feb 06, 2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:04 AM
Ireland, Leitrim
Joined Oct 2009
625 Posts
I use a Futaba 4pl with mine, but that's just what I use with most my surface rc's so I decided to just buy another receiver for it. But I would say that should work just fine and it's cheap as chips if anything happened to it. 2 channels is all you'll need unless you decide you want to run reverse at some stage, but it's not too likely I wouldn't think.

I wish we had corrosion-x here, I looked for ages for places to get it but it's just not going to happen, seen and heard many good things about it. I have my receiver in a waterproof Traxxas receiver box, or my stuff get's treated with plasti-dip for waterproofing.

Headers are finally done drying and have been attached to the lid of the jet boat. No pictures yet of the whole lot together as still waiting for Steve's cage to arrive. Seeing as the bottom half of my boat is white, I think it will all look ok. Thanks again for the help and opinions on them