RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:20 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
1,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
is pretty tough stuff and not as brittle as CA.
I agee it's brilliant stuff it the right place. Thing you will realise when you get your boat is the shaft goes straight into a bush immediately after the impeller so no room for expanding type glues there, and not really a good idea before the impeller either. Unless the impeller is so loose it can move back and forth freely on the shaft you wouldn't be able to use in inside the impeller area and in any case the clearance should be so tight that polyurethane glues wouldn't have the room to be effective.
But I wasn't trying to start a flame war, and I think we all agree a new impeller is the right choice.
Sorry if I got in my high horse but while not an NQD expert (only got 2 plus a Steve boat makes 3) I spent much of my career dealing with pretty advanced adhesives.
madbugger is offline Find More Posts by madbugger
Last edited by madbugger; Feb 04, 2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:21 PM
Washington State
Joined Oct 2007
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbugger View Post
Have you made any progress with a new screen yet?
Nope, not yet. I need to go find a strainer. Got a new puppy, taking all our free time!
7car7 is offline Find More Posts by 7car7
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:23 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
1,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7car7 View Post
Got a new puppy, taking all our free time!
Need pics!
Last edited by madbugger; Feb 04, 2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:23 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
7,375 Posts
Edri, the graupner needs no modification..and parts are available..the better motor to use is the 3900kv hobby king, bigger motor, more torque, less rpm, better suited to these little jets..use the 60 amp watercooled turnigy esc, a real good combo, in my opinion, but, guys like T, Fire, etc. have more experience in crawlers by far than I do.
chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:29 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
I agee it's brilliant stuff it the right place. Thing you will realise when you get your boat is the shaft goes straight into a bush immediately after the impeller so no room for expanding type glues there, and not really a good idea before the impeller either. Unless the impeller is so loose it can move back and forth freely on the shaft you wouldn't be able to use in inside the impeller area and in any case the clearance is so tight that polyurethane glues wouldn't have the room to be effective.
But I wasn't trying to start a flame war, and I think we all agree a new impeller is the right choice.
Sorry if I got in my high horse but while not an NQD expert, I spent much of my career dealing with pretty advanced adhesives.
You could certainly be correct that it won't work, but I've been able to cut/shave off any glue that got itself out of the intended areas so far. Used it on a foam airboat and some foamie airplanes and it seems like a wonderful combination of tough holding power and yet not brittle. The expansion is a plus in most circumstances and can, as I said, be trimmed when it sneaks out of place. In this shaft impellor application, I would expect to need only as much as fits on the end of a toothpick.

New impellor sure sounds like the best choice.

John
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:51 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
1,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
[ Used it on a foam airboat and some foamie airplanes and it seems like a wonderful combination of tough holding power and yet not brittle.
There I'd agree 100% . Nothing better for those types of job And you will find lots of uses for it elsewhere on an NQD as well.
Last edited by madbugger; Feb 04, 2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:20 PM
Fix it till its broke!
United Kingdom, Scotland, North Ayrshire
Joined Feb 2010
994 Posts
got my radio box back in. its just the stock one but it makes everything alot neater

and autobailer

geofrancis is online now Find More Posts by geofrancis
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:50 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,375 Posts
7, thanks to suns pics, I had a rubbermaid organizer sittin on my desk at my office, which is now among the missing.. even tho I use a grate, I'm gonna make a screen and run it on the flow bench, see what loss it has, but, in crawlin it aint about all out speed anyway, good trade for not shuckin impellers every day..

RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:01 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Anyone got any better ideas?
When I bent my stock shaft trying to remove a broken impeller, I replaced it with an appropriate length of piano wire of the same diameter, roughed up the shaft where the impeller sits, and applied a dab of shoe goo in front of the impeller as I started to press it on. Hasn't moved since!

That big jet looks interesting, get to experiment with 3, 4, and 5-blade impellers! Unfortunately some googling showed no signs of it anywhere else on the interwebs, bad sign for spare parts. Love the price though!
Firehawk989 is online now Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:21 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
I forget which of you folks were looking for a flexible coupler. Here's one that's only 10mm by 30mm with a 3mm hole in one end and 3.2 on the other. Seems to be a much closer size to the jet drive in these Tear Into's. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMNP1&P=0
John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:24 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,375 Posts
25 to 27mm is the max length we can fit..
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:28 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
1,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
25 to 27mm is the max length we can fit..
And not that big on OD either.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:31 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,375 Posts
Fire, the reason for 2 blades is the size of the tunnel..you would think 3-4-5 blades would work better, they dont..made me mad..

Tom at kmb has turned into a friend, he gave me a lotta info on em, his Father was the flow engineer, did it for a living, then started doing rc jets as a side line, now, Tom runs the company, we talked at length about different impellers and their design..punchline is, little ones, 2 blades, any more, the efficiency drops way off..got to do with surface area of the blade, blade area in the tunnel, etc.

On a side note, the new SSC is on the way, along with 5 extra stators

In fact, thats the new boats name, SSC..
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:54 PM
Washington State
Joined Oct 2007
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
and run it on the flow bench, see what loss it has,
I'm curious - do you think water entry direction would be having an effect on flow?
What I mean is that the water is (I'm assuming?) coming into the pump at an angle to the grate. But your testing - does the water come in at 90* to the grate/screen?

Some mesh/screen might not matter, but some seem to have a bit of an angle to them, like expanded metal sheet.
7car7 is offline Find More Posts by 7car7