HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:26 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
Gonna need a new bottom..that keel aint gonna do much for a jet..
Yup
I figured the keel and rudder would go and a fairly flat pad and transom designed to better fit the jetdrive would have to happen.

I like the jetdrives but maybe a propdrive system would make more sense?

Just "Imagineering" at the moment.

John

I do want to be able to pull an appropriately clad mouse or chipmunk on skis or wakeboard though
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:38 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
I do want to be able to pull an appropriately clad mouse or chipmunk on skis or wakeboard though
Much as I like jets, I think you should keep that one prop-drive. Not much power so the varmint on skis or wakeboard would have to be light. Would probably get blown about riding in the jet efflux. If you made the cable between boat and rider long enough to keep him away from the jet it might be too heavy. But what do I know - I've never pulled a varmint, alive or stuffed.
madbugger is offline Find More Posts by madbugger
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:48 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbugger View Post
Much as I like jets, I think you should keep that one prop-drive. Not much power so the varmint on skis or wakeboard would have to be light. Would probably get blown about riding in the jet efflux. If you made the cable between boat and rider long enough to keep him away from the jet it might be too heavy. But what do I know - I've never pulled a varmint, alive or stuffed.
AHHHhh Thankyou

That wake thing could be atrocious behind the little jetdrive! I can vaguely remember back to my slalom skiing days how important the wake was, and how we kindly declined a pull from some friends because of it.

I'll take the Malibu Wake Setter to a more appropriate forum thread now.

John in Merrill
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:07 PM
Washington State
Joined Oct 2007
1,261 Posts
I like that duck drive - would be fun to see someone put 2 in an NQD or similar.

It needs to happen.

btw, thanks for more screen ideas. I'll get something squared away soon.
7car7 is offline Find More Posts by 7car7
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:48 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
969 Posts
Quote:
Mad gotta new toy..
And I thought that was our little secret! (joke) But since you've spilt the beans.
Long time subscribers to this esteemed thread may remember a while back (pg78) I was asking if anyone knew anything about a particular boat on the Graupner.de site. There was a picture but no model no., and no other references anywhere on the site. Chi tackled his Graupner distributor friend about it and a few pages later came back with the news that it had been a kit made 2 years ago, was not made any more and there wasn't much chance it would make it back into production because of things happening at Graupner head office. I decided if it had been kitted, even for a short time, it was worth trying to find one. Assuming the people I eventually tracked down don't return my in the next day or two, saying they can't supply it after all, I shall soon be in possesion of this gem.
And it won't feature on this thread again. Even by my standards this is too off-topic. But it's kinda nice. 32" long and brushless. A TFH.
Last edited by madbugger; Jan 31, 2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:37 PM
Washington State
Joined Oct 2007
1,261 Posts
/\ Love it! Give us a link to the thread if you get it.
7car7 is offline Find More Posts by 7car7
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:38 PM
Ireland, Leitrim
Joined Oct 2009
610 Posts
Nice one Mad! As a matter of personal interest, and due to the relaxed view from members here on off topic discussion, I must insist you provide us with a minimum of a few pics and perhaps a maiden voyage
Tiernan85 is offline Find More Posts by Tiernan85
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:10 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,868 Posts
Absolutely...this thread is about the PEOPLE here...it floats, close enough..this is a UNofficial thread, remember?

I wanna see the build...aint in no mood for forum police.. snitches, aint got no life but like that..

chidago is offline Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:01 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiernan85 View Post
Nice one Mad! As a matter of personal interest, and due to the relaxed view from members here on off topic discussion, I must insist you provide us with a minimum of a few pics and perhaps a maiden voyage
Well, first I've got to get it. Then see what if anything needs doing to the appearance (like taking off some of the stock decals and making up some more convicing ones, fitting dummy chutes etc). Then it will have to sit in the hangar room (I have what I call my playroom where the tools are and things get made and then a hangar room for completed planes and now boats) until the weather gets better. While I collect pieces like the ESC and lipos and so on which aren't included although it's called RTR. Then I need a day with little wind (in the West of Scotland that's not easy) for the maiden. And then I'll probably find the supplied motor will need an upgrade to do it justice. So it will be a long, expensive process. But if people want it, I'll put up some pics when it arrives. If it does. I'm not convinced yet.
Last edited by madbugger; Jan 31, 2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:13 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Well, first I've got to get it. Then see what if anything needs doing to the appearance (like taking off some of the stock decals and making up some more convicing ones, fitting dummy chutes etc). Then it will have to sit in the hangar room (I have what I call my playroom where the tools are and things get made and then a hangar room for completed planes and now boats) until the weather gets better. While I collect pieces like the ESC and lipos and so on which aren't included although it's called RTR. Then I need a day with little wind (in the West of Scotland that's not easy) for the maiden. And then I'll probably find the supplied motor will need an upgrade to do it justice. So it will be a long, expensive process. But if people want it, I'll put up some pics when it arrives. If it does. I'm not convinced yet.
Please don't suffer TOO MUCH!
John
hop me up some NQD stuff
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:21 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,025 Posts
Quote:
Very snazzy indeeed. The two-tone look really compliments the boat. and on my screen it doesn't look black. Or blue. It looks like a deep purple colour and amazin' . And what is that scoop you've got there. That also looks good.
Thanks guys! Guess the fumes paid off!

The scoop is from a toy RC truck I got as part of a lot a while back. Tossed the truck, but kept the scoop because I figured I would use it for something eventually, and looks like I did!
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:53 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,868 Posts
Fumes are good...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:08 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,868 Posts
Doing my parts list for the new kmb, shipped today, I guess this one I will build as kinda luxury sprint, being a glass boat, gotta watch where I put it..

Its 535mm, vs. 410 for the nqd/steve, my big kmb is 660mm, nice in the middle fit. besides the bimini foolishness on the red one, I'll make it the camera boat.

I'm not going to power it as heavy, a 3200kv, on 3's, 1700 watt vs the 2400 watt in the red one, should run just as strong..this will be my lake course boat, the nqd for crawlin, and the big one for sittin out in the lake takin pics and lookin pretty..

I think I got all the angles covered

gotta figure out a course that allows for all the boats speed on the straights, without lettin em run flat out too long, tho.. thats gonna be harder than building the boats.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:09 AM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
Please don't suffer TOO MUCH!
John,
As you surmised, I won't be suffering. Too much. It's just that I'm 65 and still trying to figure out what to do when I grow up! I'm like a 5 year old waiting for Santa.
Iain
Last edited by madbugger; Feb 01, 2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:21 AM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
969 Posts
Quote:
gotta figure out a course that allows for all the boats speed on the straights, without lettin em run flat out too long, tho.. thats gonna be harder than building the boats.
And of course you'll need to include a small ski jump on one of the straights, to take advantage of a jet's smooth undersurface and put a premium on recovering from the resultant cavitation After all, rally cars take off over large dips and they say sprint boats are rally cars on water