HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:45 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,425 Posts
Here's a 1:12 scale dragster with a pretty nice motor but it's still $44 http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/lnd/lnd73043.htm

John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:04 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,585 Posts
Me, when I was building the nqd, I would have done the parma if I could have found one..

My future jets wont be of the sprint look, as in my kmb, but, more of a lake boat look..

The nqd is all the crawler/sprint I need, so personally I'm good..shame to see everyone searchin for a GOOD motor replica, but, most guys, I'm thinkin, like myself, aint gonna spend 100 bucks just for a motor.. I was silly going to do the 80 bucks, but, I have a lot of time in paint, detail, and graphic work in it, my graphic plotter is slow, lotta hours in the boat, flow benching the jet, different clearance trys, etc..not to forget 6 hrs of laser work to true the bottom on a 20 buck toy..then blowin the bottom outta the boat..lol ..at that time, I woulda done the parma.

Punchline is, as far as the nqd goes, its done. the bar was the last..er, maybe lights on the bar..thats it.
chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:08 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,585 Posts
When it thaws, I have to come up with a sprint style course that will work for the short top end the boats have, thats my biggest thing now, here, in the midwest, my group will be doing more sprint racing with em than crawling, I'm thinkin, as we dont have the wonderful streams you guys do..

All I can see is a lotta bouys..a whole bunch..

Good news with that tho, is that the bigger fiberglass boats can play too, without getting their bottoms holed.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:16 PM
Ireland, Leitrim
Joined Oct 2009
606 Posts
Don't kid yourself Chi, the NQD is never finished

If you had a group of folks with the boats and some sort of a track it would be great fun I think. Throw in a timer and it's all the more fun.
Tiernan85 is online now Find More Posts by Tiernan85
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:40 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiernan85 View Post
I decided the other day, I wanted to put a better looking engine in the boat and
Didn't I tell you when I showed everyone mine - others would do better. And you have. Bang-up job on that engine.
The only consolation I can take is that my efforts seem to have motivated people to tart up their own mills. Apart from a lack of skill (and hands), my biggest problem with the next one I'm doing is that I want something a lot closer to the motors in the full-size Oz sprint boats than last time. No toy ones like that.

Take it you're still waiting on your cage. And the one for the boat as well.
madbugger is offline Find More Posts by madbugger
Last edited by madbugger; Jan 30, 2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:09 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
Here's a 1:12 scale dragster with a pretty nice motor but it's still $44
When I was doing my last one I looked at the motors in some of the 1/25 Muscle Machines. They are cartoon over-scale and seem to be about 1/12 scale. I know the R/C crawler truck guys have used them in the absence of the old Parma one. They are die-cast mazak which is alright for them but would be too heavy for us. My plan was to use one and vac-form a replica from it on my home-made rig. Problem was that I couldn't find one in my area to check out the idea before spending dough. Getting one from France, Germany or the US, laying out the moola and then finding my idea was a bust didn't appeal
Last edited by madbugger; Jan 30, 2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:17 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
When it thaws, I have to come up with a sprint style course that will work for the short top end the boats have,
How many of them have you completed now. You were talking about having 6 to do for your gang. And you promised to show the stealth-type finish one of your friends had requested. Even if it's not your type of thing
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:34 PM
Ireland, Leitrim
Joined Oct 2009
606 Posts
haha cheers Mad, I was looking back at yours when I was doing mine and to be fair, you've a lot more detail and realism in yours. Thanks none the less though, and either way, I hope it's faster now
Tiernan85 is online now Find More Posts by Tiernan85
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:53 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,585 Posts
Have 8 done, including mine.. thats the Steve boat..
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:06 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiernan85 View Post
haha cheers Mad, I was looking back at yours when I was doing mine and to be fair, you've a lot more detail and realism in yours. Thanks none the less though, and either way, I hope it's faster now
OF COURSE IT WILL BE And even more so if you put headers on.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:49 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,425 Posts
Hi Gang
I am spending way too much time looking at plastic engine possibilities for hobbyists. I really don't care much, except for the Malibu toy boat that "Must have either mice or chipmunks in swimming suits, driving and skiing behind it". I'm old, maybe it has to be wakeboards now. But that will be my attempt at "Cute" this summer.

OK........ Here's my last web find for you tru-scale motorheads. http://www.plastic-model-kits.com/pl...pet-interior-1

This place has scale braided hoses and way too much else for me to describe. Maybe one of you who care can get some use from this site.

Off to do bear hugs, cause I "lov the one I'm with".

John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:48 PM
Platinum Card Member
Joined Sep 2007
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7car7 View Post
So, I had this grand idea to put aluminum (aluminium for Mad!) window screen under the intake of my boat. Sadly, it did NOT work. The rocks shredded it quite handily. So, Now I'm in search of a stainless steel mesh, OR, maybe putting twice as many carbon strips than what I already have.
I've tried many different grates and screens on my jetboats, and the best results were with the expanded metal 'screen' on the outside of car air filters (found in the trash behind most any garage) and the expanded metal desk organizers found at Wal-Mart. These are open enough to not cause a loss of power and strong enough to take the punishment. But I no longer run without some kind of protection, as the creeks and streams around here are full of little pebbles that just love to take out impellers!
sundogz is offline Find More Posts by sundogz
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:09 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Dec 2012
41 Posts
hey sun,
what is the 15mm proboat drive on? doesn't look like the duck hull....
ps dont try to brushless the duck, its way to top heavy
ScubaruSteve is offline Find More Posts by ScubaruSteve
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:14 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
Have 8 done, including mine.. thats the Steve boat..
If this is the "stealth" boat you were talking about, it should be flat black, not shiny!

All these nifty details you guys are posting up make me want to spruce mine up a bit more. I just need to get my hands on some orange oil or something to take the cheesy paint job off the plastic.
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:31 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,585 Posts
Sun, looks good..no flow restrictions you feel?

Fire, do it up, man....cant help the shine, us italians like black shiny things, especially Cadillacs..
RCG Plus Member