SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:29 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
The kmb needs more..a bimini would be PERFECT..any ideas, guys? to be really good, it needs joints in the arms..aint figured THAT out yet..

Tubes can be done with scale aluminum tubing, but, no good way to solder em together I have found..
The black nylon joints featured in your pic 3 could be modelled in Polymorph or from pieces cut from the right kind of black clothes hangers. For soldering ali, start from here http://www.rcfaq.com/ANSWERS/ENGINES/solderalum.htm
and work on from there. After all, you've got a couple of months of hard water in which to perfect it.
madbugger is offline Find More Posts by madbugger
Last edited by madbugger; Jan 29, 2013 at 05:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:32 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
The kmb needs more..a bimini would be PERFECT..any ideas, guys? to be really good, it needs joints in the arms..aint figured THAT out yet..

Tubes can be done with scale aluminum tubing, but, no good way to solder em together I have found..
You can always make pinned hinges by just pinching aluminum or brass tube with a tiny hole and wire where we would use a nut and bolt in real scale. Theres even a cool way to lock those hinged joints by having a slightly larger scrap of tube slip over the hinge to hold it solid. In less critical hinges silicone tubing can become the hinge.

And don't forget the flexible straps that can help hold these hinged wonders in place as on the big top on my Pontoon Boat.

Good luck John and that sounds like a really neat scale and, unfortunately "cute" idea. GO FOR IT ANYWAY!

John in Merrill

PS I forgot to address your soldering dilemma. If you use copper or brass tubing, you can easily solder the joints that aren't meant to be hinged.
Yuppo.................. You want aluminum or even better CHROME tubing.

Just get over your obsession and paint the dang brass silver if you have to!
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Last edited by jgestner; Jan 29, 2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:48 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
Cardinals, Bluejays, 3 kinds of Grossbeaks, along with all the Goldfinches and nuthatches and the usual assortment of Sparrows, Woodpeckers, Morning Doves. They all seem to disappear whenever the Eagles and Hawks fly over.
It's fun, and a bit wild when it's a bear at the feeder.
John in Merrill
I get Goldfinches, Chaffinches, Sparrows, Doves, Wrens, Robins, Red Polls and various kinds of Tits but we don't have Bears at all in the UK, and no Eagles in this part of Scotland. I occasionally get Sparrowhawks or Buzzards but chase them away to preserve the small birds. Amazing pics, by the way.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:55 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,827 Posts
Yup, I gave up the roll bar thing on here, to make it look more like a lake boat, but, lotta open deck there, gotta break it up..

All ideas more than welcome..

On another note, went out to to a calmer little lake in the neighborhood, to run the nqd better.

The boat performs, runs, likes, the 3S set up better, and with the 3's, will have some reliability.

I will leave it on the 4's, its a laugh on that..

But, its sorta like takin the family car and putting 4:56 gears in it..a ball from the stop light, but, will take the rods out for ya on a road trip..

The extra rpm push the jet past its flow limits, so, speed wise it went up some, but, not enough to justify the damage that IS going to occur, its not if, just when.

But, the scream and the holeshot are enough points for me not to give a ..

This boat served its purpose a while ago, brought me here to a great bunch of men, and acted as a great test mule for what can be done as far as the envelope the boat will perform in.

Now its about the yucks and smiles. and a bunch of rocks this spring I'm hoping..

chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:07 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
Just get over your obsession and paint the dang brass silver if you have to!
Chi, there is always that option, of course. We won't tell if you don't.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:15 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbugger View Post
I get Goldfinches, Chaffinches, Sparrows, Doves, Wrens, Robins, Red Polls and various kinds of Tits but we don't have Bears at all in the UK, and no Eagles in this part of Scotland. I occasionally get Sparrowhawks or Buzzards but chase them away to preserve the small birds. Amazing pics, by the way.
Varmint hunting is legal and an art here in the northern and western US, where the green as..... and granola eaters almost always lose elections in my neighborhood. Pellet rifles with a scope are legal almost everywhere, as are most other weapons. Varmints are categorized as varmints because they are not wanted. In the more country setting I live in, those pigeons aren't needed. Maybe some on your shores also need a pellet to there head.

Here I am, I Love all life and all animals, but some must win, and some just plain may not.

John in Merrill
Last edited by jgestner; Jan 29, 2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:48 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,827 Posts
They make aluminum tubing in all the sizes brass comes in..just like a real bim..

Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield..

I can tig the aluminum, its the CLOTH, and sewin it on thats gonna be a bitch too..
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:50 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
969 Posts
Where are you Fire. You were on the thread from post 4 or 5. We need you to give validity to all us johnny-come-latelys. Not to mention that we need some more of your killer photography.
And we need more of T's Irish craic.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:15 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
As Chidag is so happy to mention on his ID/ Tagline, he is a Social Member. I too, would like to keep it social when possible, without retribution.

It seems like this jet boat group is small enough to just be friendly and still pass as much real substance as possible. I hope I can show some real motorboating on this forum as soon as I see "soft water".

G'night Men

John up Nort
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:15 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,827 Posts
No ..you guys are the REAL crawlers, I'm just a sissy with lotta knowledge..you guys made this new sport, dont leave now!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:21 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
I can tig the aluminum, its the CLOTH, and sewin it on thats gonna be a bitch too..
Seems like a connected fellow like yourself could find a relative that love her sewing machine....................... and you?????????????????

John
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:37 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,827 Posts
John, my fiance is 30..only thing she does well is fill out her swim suit..no cookin, no cleanin, no laundry.

But, there are hidden talents..
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:39 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,827 Posts
To be serious, the stitches are gonna be too big..might have to bond the cloth together with CA, but, frame first, and, its gotta be able to take a flip and a hard dunk, too..
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:25 AM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbugger View Post
Where are you Fire. You were on the thread from post 4 or 5. We need you to give validity to all us johnny-come-latelys. Not to mention that we need some more of your killer photography.
And we need more of T's Irish craic.
Fear not sir! For I have returned from the Rockies bearing a great many adventurous photos!

Coincidentally, the last one was taken about a third of the way up the "Paradise" chair!
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:31 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:

For Pool Tables, and some nightclub acts, I believe. the cloth is glued with contact cement. On my pool table it may not be permanent, but it will outlast me. The advantage is that you can custom fit and stretch the cloth to fit exactly the way you want. Should be simple with the right glue. CA would soak through and show, as well as being a pain in the arse to work with.

John in Merrill