HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:21 AM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
Discussion
Unofficial NQD Tear Into Jet Boat Mod Thread

I know that there are a small group of guys running this boat here, so why not make a "go to thread" for pictures, video and talk.

Energy is offline Find More Posts by Energy
Last edited by Energy; Sep 02, 2013 at 08:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:25 AM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
I'm going to be running this set up in mine.

Motor

ESC

Lipo

servo
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:33 AM
eak
Joined Feb 2011
264 Posts
you get the motor at half the price if you get cooling jacket and motor as 2 items.
Cooling jacket was out of stock as the motor you picked ATM
eak is offline Find More Posts by eak
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:59 AM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eak View Post
you get the motor at half the price if you get cooling jacket and motor as 2 items.
Cooling jacket was out of stock as the motor you picked ATM
Good to know, i just hope either of the two come in soon, so i can get going with this mod.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:03 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2006
1,474 Posts
jet boat

Go to universe site which has a huge thread and the top gurus there and will take you all day to read it and are SUPER HELPFUL. energy, remember there isn't much room, i have one and the kv you have is too high. The impellor won't take that high a rpm. BTW, i just was reading post #12 about high rpm which spins too fast to create suction. Now if they plan on running high rpm, better put in bearings and buy another prop or two of them as they will wear very fast. Now if memory serves met right; Dragonfire cut down a metal prop for his jetdrive unit.
Mikedown is offline Find More Posts by Mikedown
Last edited by Mikedown; Mar 11, 2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:20 AM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by retoabcr View Post
Go to universe site which has a huge thread and the top gurus there and will take you all day to read it and are SUPER HELPFUL. energy, remember there isn't much room, i have one and the kv you have is too high. The impellor won't take that high a rpm.
There are a few guys that have reported running this motor on 2s with no issues. On 3s it would be way to much, but with 2s its supposedly perfect.

I'm subscribed to the RCU one, but RCG has some good info too, its just that its scattered throughout many little threads.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:22 AM
eak
Joined Feb 2011
264 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15190
Maby this one fits you? I don't know how much room there is, and what max rpm that jet drive can manage.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:24 AM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eak View Post
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15190
Maby this one fits you? I don't know how much room there is, and what max rpm that jet drive can manage.
Cool, Maybe with this jacket... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12689
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:29 AM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
1,857 Posts
Yea that kv motor on 2S should be fine, and there is lots of room in the hull because it is so wide. Plus with that motor you will be able to use the stock coupler which is nice. The ESC is the exact same one I'm using and it works great, although I'm running it on 3S.

That setup might not be the fastest, but it should be pretty reliable I think.

*Edit* Be aware that you only need about 5mm or so of servo travel to move the jet nozzle to full left and full right, so you might have to turn your dual rates way down or drill a hole very close to the center of the control horn for that big servo.
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:31 AM
eak
Joined Feb 2011
264 Posts
if you buy that combo its about half the price of the 28mm premounted watercooled engine that they sell. you can also make your own jacket with plastic tubing and o-rings, and some small bras or coper pipes and some good glue.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:40 AM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk989 View Post
Yea that kv motor on 2S should be fine, and there is lots of room in the hull because it is so wide. Plus with that motor you will be able to use the stock coupler which is nice. The ESC is the exact same one I'm using and it works great, although I'm running it on 3S.

That setup might not be the fastest, but it should be pretty reliable I think.

*Edit* Be aware that you only need about 5mm or so of servo travel to move the jet nozzle to full left and full right, so you might have to turn your dual rates way down or drill a hole very close to the center of the control horn for that big servo.
Thanks.

I have a DX2s, so i can just program servo end points. Good to know!

I just got the stock battery charged up, and am going to go run it in a little stream. May as well get some use out of it while i wait for upgrades to come in.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 02:01 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,750 Posts
4800kv on 2s is beyond what the drive is useful for. Small jet drives don't do much besides cavitate if you start spinning them more than 25000rpm. That motor on 2s would be over 35000rpm unloaded. I would aim for a motor in the 3200-3600kv range for 2s. I have a 3200kv outrunner in mine on 3s, and over 3/4 throttle is jut makes more noise without picking up any speed.

The servo is also overkill, I run mine on an HK 9g servo with no issues at all.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Mar 11, 2011, 02:55 PM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
4800kv on 2s is beyond what the drive is useful for. Small jet drives don't do much besides cavitate if you start spinning them more than 25000rpm. That motor on 2s would be over 35000rpm unloaded. I would aim for a motor in the 3200-3600kv range for 2s. I have a 3200kv outrunner in mine on 3s, and over 3/4 throttle is jut makes more noise without picking up any speed.

The servo is also overkill, I run mine on an HK 9g servo with no issues at all.
Hmmm, Its not that i don't believe what you are saying, but there are two or three guys over on RCU that are running this exact set up (minus the servo) and say it works fine. I don't think there will be a torque will be an issue, so i guess if its too fast for the intake, I'll set a throttle end point.

Ya, the servo is a little over kill, but I was recommended at RCU to go bigger servo than a mini. I'd rather overkill then under-kill.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 03:06 PM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
Stock NQD Tear Into jet boat (2 min 10 sec)

Just uploaded a stock video. There was about 4 inches of slush, but still kind of cool.

There are these great little pools on the surface of the ice caused by the snow melting. Would be fun to have a moded one in them.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 03:30 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Hmmm, Its not that i don't believe what you are saying, but there are two or three guys over on RCU that are running this exact set up (minus the servo) and say it works fine. I don't think there will be a torque will be an issue, so i guess if its too fast for the intake, I'll set a throttle end point.

Ya, the servo is a little over kill, but I was recommended at RCU to go bigger servo than a mini. I'd rather overkill then under-kill.
IMO, I wouldn't set the throttle end points to bring the throttle down, running brushless ESC's at part throttle generates a lot of heat.

The issue isn't torque, it's the WOT rpm's are too fast for the small jet pump to handle. Going with a lower kv motor will give you just as much performance, and at the same time keep the heat and amp draw lower.

You can run as big of a servo as you want, but I haven't had a single issue with a cheap 9g one. The only benefit to the bigger one is that it would add weight to the boat (they like to be a bit heavier to keep the intake in the water). If it were me, I would build it light then add stick on lead for ballast in key places though.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons