HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:57 PM
Registered User
Flip Flop's Avatar
United States, UT, Layton
Joined Oct 2009
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earaoz View Post
Very nice Flip Flop - good job. Can you share with us what you AUW and how many amps that motor/fan combo is pulling?
Thanks!
E
Thanks E, the AUW is 2lbs 8oz and on a freshly charged pack the motor pulls around 70amps and 1000 watts.
Flip Flop is offline Find More Posts by Flip Flop
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2012, 01:44 PM
Progress with the process...
M3ATpl0w's Avatar
NE Alabama
Joined Feb 2011
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip Flop View Post
...and opened up a cheater hole on the bottom which also help with the handlaunches. The CG was set at 365mm from the T.E. of the flap.

Got any pics of the cheater hole? Just curious as to size and shape.
Great job on the Rafale...looks and sounds amazing.
M3ATpl0w is offline Find More Posts by M3ATpl0w
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 05:53 PM
Registered User
Flip Flop's Avatar
United States, UT, Layton
Joined Oct 2009
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ATpl0w View Post
Got any pics of the cheater hole? Just curious as to size and shape.
Great job on the Rafale...looks and sounds amazing.
Thanks man, here is the cheater hole. Its kinda sloppy but it did add close to a pound of thrust.
Flip Flop is offline Find More Posts by Flip Flop
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 09, 2012, 09:32 PM
Schwalbe
Junkers Jumo's Avatar
Australia, WA, Yokine
Joined Aug 2011
312 Posts
New video taken yesterday. Now have the missiles attached by magnets, looks pretty cool I reckon:

HobyKing R/C 70mm EDF Rafale (4 min 4 sec)


Great camera work by Goody63.
Junkers Jumo is offline Find More Posts by Junkers Jumo
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:43 AM
Bond, Hotglue Bond
Tartago's Avatar
Joined Apr 2006
4,122 Posts
Good one JJ!
Tartago is offline Find More Posts by Tartago
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:09 PM
Registered User
Flip Flop's Avatar
United States, UT, Layton
Joined Oct 2009
528 Posts
Here is a video of my lil HK/X-flight Rafale, I was running the Turnigy 2226-3000 motor on 4s but wanted a little more power so I put in a CP 2500kv on a 4000mah 5s lipo.
HK/X-flight Rafale (3 min 46 sec)
Flip Flop is offline Find More Posts by Flip Flop
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:57 PM
Why am I addicted!!!
DonQ8401's Avatar
United States, IL, Columbia
Joined Jan 2008
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGRN View Post
The HK model is a good base to work on. It just needs some esthetic surgery to be more scaled (pointed nose, filling in panels lines that look like trenches, etc.), and some modifications to be more efficient (active canards, powerfull set-up, etc.). Of course, the airframe will be entirely glassed to get a nice smooth finish. I'll also have to do a new nice canopy. The one from the box is crappy and crumbly.
Here are few pics of the airframe. The Mirage 2000 is powered with the same setup and is a great fast flyer.
Great Pics how does it fly?
DonQ8401 is offline Find More Posts by DonQ8401
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:09 AM
Registered User
J-ACE's Avatar
Adelaide Australia
Joined Apr 2010
552 Posts
Nice vids guys
J-ACE is offline Find More Posts by J-ACE
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:54 PM
Fast Jets for Fast times
Lmeano_from_MO's Avatar
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,210 Posts
Nice video FF,

I got one foam only but with 2 left wings. Itís funny how that happens but looks like Iím stuck with it. Itís back in the box till winter.
Lmeano_from_MO is offline Find More Posts by Lmeano_from_MO
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:21 PM
Schwalbe
Junkers Jumo's Avatar
Australia, WA, Yokine
Joined Aug 2011
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQ8401 View Post
Great Pics how does it fly?
Fantastic IMNSHO! I've just got back from another fly this morning and this is by far the best EDF I've flown. It can fly very slow, high alpha if you like. The roll rate is sensational and perfectly axial and its an all around great frame IMO. My first hand launch this morning went a little awry, with the nose pointing at the sky and little if any airspeed. No problems, wings level with aileron, gently lower the nose and away she goes. She's no speed demon as the frame is a little too 'draggy' although she's no sky-snail. I find it a very forgiving airframe because of its wide speed range and its delta wing configuration means it has to be severely provoked before any hint of wing drop.
My first EDF was the FMS 64mm Rafale also available at HobbyKing and although the power train was junk, when I got a decent fan/motor/ESC combo in it, it rocked! If I had to get picky I think some people will not like its lack of negative 'G' performance, an outside loop is next to impossible. I love the all low-viz grey colour scheme, but it does make orientation difficult, so if thatís not your strong suite, go for the out of the box white. If you're after a jet for pure speed, look elsewhere. If you want something fun to fly around, very manoeuvrable that wonít treat your every error as an excuse to bury itself in the ground, this is your plane. Donít go thinking itís a beginnerís aeroplane, but itís a beauty!

Ingo
Junkers Jumo is offline Find More Posts by Junkers Jumo
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2012, 08:42 AM
Why am I addicted!!!
DonQ8401's Avatar
United States, IL, Columbia
Joined Jan 2008
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkers Jumo View Post
Fantastic IMNSHO! I've just got back from another fly this morning and this is by far the best EDF I've flown. It can fly very slow, high alpha if you like. The roll rate is sensational and perfectly axial and its an all around great frame IMO. My first hand launch this morning went a little awry, with the nose pointing at the sky and little if any airspeed. No problems, wings level with aileron, gently lower the nose and away she goes. She's no speed demon as the frame is a little too 'draggy' although she's no sky-snail. I find it a very forgiving airframe because of its wide speed range and its delta wing configuration means it has to be severely provoked before any hint of wing drop.
My first EDF was the FMS 64mm Rafale also available at HobbyKing and although the power train was junk, when I got a decent fan/motor/ESC combo in it, it rocked! If I had to get picky I think some people will not like its lack of negative 'G' performance, an outside loop is next to impossible. I love the all low-viz grey colour scheme, but it does make orientation difficult, so if thatís not your strong suite, go for the out of the box white. If you're after a jet for pure speed, look elsewhere. If you want something fun to fly around, very manoeuvrable that wonít treat your every error as an excuse to bury itself in the ground, this is your plane. Donít go thinking itís a beginnerís aeroplane, but itís a beauty!

Ingo
Thanxs
DonQ8401 is offline Find More Posts by DonQ8401
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:49 AM
How close are those trees?
Goody63's Avatar
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,868 Posts
High Alpha

Short video of Junkers Jumo doing some very nice high alpha last weekend.

Very nice flying Ingo!!

HK Rafale 70MM EDF High Alpha (0 min 45 sec)
Goody63 is offline Find More Posts by Goody63
Last edited by Goody63; Jul 18, 2012 at 06:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:16 AM
Bond, Hotglue Bond
Tartago's Avatar
Joined Apr 2006
4,122 Posts
Wow!

I don't know the Rafale but the movie production is really a blockbuster!
Tartago is offline Find More Posts by Tartago
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:21 PM
Registered User
United States, VA, Norfolk
Joined Oct 2006
234 Posts
Work in progress

Hi everyone. I'm rather new to these forums. I just thought I'd share with you guys my work in progress.

Right now, she has a Cyclone Power CS480-3700KV motor with an RCLander duct (I accidentally test ran the original RCLander motor in it while holding it in my hand and resulted in a bent shaft when I put it to full power, so I thought I'd use the leftover duct with the Cyclone Power motor. Lesson's learned, right?) , an 80A Detrum ESC, functional rudder and canards that work as elevators, all powered by a 4S 2200 mah Sky Lipo battery.

I'm still debating if I'm going to add retracts in it or not since I don't want her to get too heavy. I already have open connections ready for retracts in case I decide to get one. I also have a new RCLander EDF on the way and I'll be handling that one with care this time.
Roen is offline Find More Posts by Roen
Last edited by Roen; Jul 24, 2012 at 05:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:09 PM
Why am I addicted!!!
DonQ8401's Avatar
United States, IL, Columbia
Joined Jan 2008
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roen View Post
Hi everyone. I'm rather new to these forums. I just thought I'd share with you guys my work in progress.

Right now, she has a Cyclone Power CS480-3700KV motor with an RCLander duct (I accidentally test ran the original RCLander motor in it while holding it in my hand and resulted in a bent shaft when I put it to full power, so I thought I'd use the leftover duct with the Cyclone Power motor. Lesson's learned, right?) , an 80A Detrum ESC, functional rudder and canards that work as elevators, all powered by a 4S 2200 mah Sky Lipo battery.

I'm still debating if I'm going to add retracts in it or not since I don't want her to get too heavy. I already have open connections ready for retracts in case I decide to get one. I also have a new RCLander EDF on the way and I'll be handling that one with care this time.
Awesome job. What paint did you use.? How did you apply it?
DonQ8401 is offline Find More Posts by DonQ8401
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Crashed my 70mm A7 Corsair II need new airframe. redtail Foamy EDFs 18 Apr 19, 2011 12:06 PM
Mini-Review "Rafale" park flayer EDF by HobbyKing eFly.co.il Foamies (Kits) 5 Feb 28, 2011 03:50 AM
Sold 3 New Hobbyking Hercules 2800kv 70mm EDF motors. T-CAT Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 3 Jan 13, 2011 07:47 PM
Sold 4 New Hobbyking 70mm EDF units with a three wide blade rotor design. T-CAT Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 7 Jan 13, 2011 06:59 PM
New Product New Twin 70mm composite Rafale lavochkin Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 2 Jul 17, 2009 08:41 PM