Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:58 PM
Joined Feb 2010
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthodenn View Post
Colinski. I can't wait to see your video! Just think, flying this jet for longer than just a meesly 3:30. minutes!
Hopes were high indeed!

But the pusher setup I flew it with drew a lot of power!

830W at 63A.

That was with a 2836 3200kv HK motor, 5x5 prop, 60A esc and a 25-50c rated nano tech 2200 4sp1.

You guessed it flying time was short!

But it was alot faster and louder than the EDF version!

Did have some trouble with getting it level in flight. But sorted it out after a minute or so.

On the second flight moved cg further to the front, it did not take off right, tried to abort but it did a small hop over someting on the beach and it took off the nose. No more flying that day.

So I guess I should take it back to the drawing board and figure out a new power plant.
colinski is offline Find More Posts by colinski
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2011, 07:37 PM
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined Nov 2006
971 Posts
Man. sorry about your power drain and the not so great flight you have had.

About your trouble getting it level, I've noticed on my Rafale that my missle-racks was not level, thus causing it to bank/roll to one side. So I used my wife's hair dryer to heat-bend them level and that did the trick for that.
I've also noticed that when my motor was at the position yours is at, the thrust was a little funny. But since then I had just simply fliped the motor mount -with the motor still attached- around to the bottom position where its almost right between the exhausts but a little lower. (see pics) The best way I've found to do this was drilling through where the existing indention is at just between the exhausts in the white area and glueing in my stick mount. BE CAREFUL! because you want to make sure your stick is in as perfectly straight as possible. ya' know eye it in like I did. You don't want a power dive or power ascent when you want to go straight.
anthodenn is offline Find More Posts by anthodenn
Old Oct 18, 2011, 07:55 PM
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined Nov 2006
971 Posts
Oh, I almost forgot. Colinski, You can try the Grayson hobby motors I've used with good results.

For your 3&4s setup I've used on the Rafale, the GH Super Mega Jet V2 Brushless Outrunner Motor.
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...tor-p-585.html

For your 3s setup only I recommend the GH2212-06 V2 Brushless Outrunner Motor.
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...tor-p-398.html

These motors should extend your flight time and will used less amps compared to your current setup and will give you, not blistering fast performence but good performence that will make smile with yellow teeth.
anthodenn is offline Find More Posts by anthodenn
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:56 PM
Joined Feb 2010
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthodenn View Post
Oh, I almost forgot. Colinski, You can try the Grayson hobby motors I've used with good results.

For your 3&4s setup I've used on the Rafale, the GH Super Mega Jet V2 Brushless Outrunner Motor.
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...tor-p-585.html

For your 3s setup only I recommend the GH2212-06 V2 Brushless Outrunner Motor.
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...tor-p-398.html

These motors should extend your flight time and will used less amps compared to your current setup and will give you, not blistering fast performence but good performence that will make smile with yellow teeth.
Hey Anthodenn!

Great stuff you posted! very much of help to me!

Might pull the trigger on one of those graysonhobby motors.

And will try that cg!

Thanks.
colinski is offline Find More Posts by colinski
Old Nov 14, 2011, 08:14 AM
trying to catch Mr. FrSky... It flyes
Joined Jan 2005
1,023 Posts
Anyone has tried a 5s or 6s setup???
splitpilot is offline Find More Posts by splitpilot
Old Nov 14, 2011, 01:11 PM
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
1,497 Posts
I'm flying on 4S - 2200mah and 4000mah and the bigger one barely fits there so I think there might not be enough room for 5S or 6S depending the size you go with...
My 2 cents.
E
earaoz is offline Find More Posts by earaoz
Old Nov 15, 2011, 09:40 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6 Posts
Im building this hobbyking rafale 70 mm, but I cant seem to figure out the included decals - tho they have to be glued on or something?

Also do I plug 1 elevon servo into the elevator channel and the other into the aileron channel and then mix the two?
Caulnian is offline Find More Posts by Caulnian
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:04 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulnian View Post
Im building this hobbyking rafale 70 mm, but I cant seem to figure out the included decals - tho they have to be glued on or something?

Also do I plug 1 elevon servo into the elevator channel and the other into the aileron channel and then mix the two?
don't know about the decals eys about the second.. but it depends on what Tx you have..
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Nov 15, 2011, 01:01 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
don't know about the decals eys about the second.. but it depends on what Tx you have..
Ive got this one from hobbyking:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8992
Old Nov 15, 2011, 01:10 PM
I like them a bit tail heavy
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,436 Posts
Quote:
That is a great radio for the price from what I have heard. It does have an elevon mixing option which is what you need for this jet. Not sure what channels it will be after you set it up but it is easy enough to check (trial and error) before you fly the plane
tdab is offline Find More Posts by tdab
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:05 PM
To Have & To Hold
Joined May 2010
100 Posts
Those are water-based decals. You need to dip it into water and gently apply to the plane. One wing to Aileron one wing to Elevator and do mixing on your TX. Set the Wing Type to Delta. Different radios may have different ways to do the mixing. If you have no computer radio, search the web for instructions. Good luck.

Quote:

Percivale is offline Find More Posts by Percivale
Old Nov 16, 2011, 03:27 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
careful. I saw a plane loosing signal in 30 feet distance with that.. better install a frsky module.. if there is a rangetest. do that first
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:30 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6 Posts
Thanks for the replys.

I took it out today, but I didnt get it to fly It stalled, nose up, and I just couldnt get it to climb - Im thinking the CG might be way off, or the motor just isnt powerful enough.

I used this setup:

Motor

SBEC

and Im using 2200mah 3S Lipos

Is that wrong? Does it just not provide enough power?
Where should the CG be on this plane?

Thanks in advance! Im really really frustrated here :/
Old Nov 17, 2011, 07:58 AM
To Have & To Hold
Joined May 2010
100 Posts
The motor seems heavy at 135g. If it noses up, should be a sign of being tail heavy. No CG was provided so you'll have to make an educated guess after reading up the earlier posts in this thread. For me, I flew it on 2200mah 4S1P using a 70mm Freewing EDF power unit with 45A ESC.

Quote:
Thanks for the replys.

I took it out today, but I didnt get it to fly It stalled, nose up, and I just couldnt get it to climb - Im thinking the CG might be way off, or the motor just isnt powerful enough.

I used this setup:

Motor

SBEC

and Im using 2200mah 3S Lipos

Is that wrong? Does it just not provide enough power?
Where should the CG be on this plane?

Thanks in advance! Im really really frustrated here :/
Percivale is offline Find More Posts by Percivale
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:36 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6 Posts
Thanks for the reply - to start with Ive ordered a 4S battery to see if that does the trick.