HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2011, 09:36 AM
Sigh...Really?
Lansing, MI
Joined Jun 2009
256 Posts
Discussion
JR 2.4 versus Hitec Aurora 9

I did a quick search and didnt find this specific topic.

I have a JR 8103 with the 2.4 spektrum module. I love this radio. Arguably one of the easiest mixing radios for awhile. I have been watching these A9's fly off the classfieds in rapid numbers.

Any ex-JR users care to comment on how these compare to the A9? I really dont like the exposed cable that ties the module in with the antenna itself on the A9.
boggintuff is offline Find More Posts by boggintuff
Last edited by boggintuff; Mar 11, 2011 at 01:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:57 AM
Near Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Joined Dec 2004
384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggintuff View Post
I did a quick search and didnt find this specific topic.

I have a JR 8103 with the 2.4 spektrum module. I love this radio. Arguably one of the easiest mixing radios for awhile. I have been watching these A9's fly off the classfieds in rapid numbers.

Any ex-JR users care to comment on how these compare to the A9? I really dont like the exposed cable the ties the module in with the antenna itself on the A9.
Not sure what you mean when you see the A9's fly off the classifieds in rapid numbers. If you mean they sell fast then I agree. If you mean there are lots then you just have to compare with the hundreds of Spektrum equipment for sale although that really isn't totally fair as there are thousands of Spektrums in use today since they were first on the market with 2.4.

I used to have a JR 9393 2.4 radio and have sold it in preference to the A9. There is no doubt that the Spektrum is a fine radio but as far as programing ease and features you can't beat the A9 dollar for dollar. THe telemetry feature with their 6,7 & 9 channel receivers is a godsend for electric flyers. I sold all my Spektrum receivers and TX and came out ahead with the A9.

I too didn't like the exposed cable from the module but it is a small price to pay for the capability to use the 72MHz module when it comes out. It has not been a problem for me and it is very rugged.

Dave
376782 is offline Find More Posts by 376782
Old Mar 11, 2011, 01:04 PM
Sigh...Really?
Lansing, MI
Joined Jun 2009
256 Posts
I meant them selling as fast as they get posted. They interest me because of the advancements in the programming capabilities, but leery because of the "newness" or "unproven" aspect of them. The exposed cable though is a HUGE negative for me
boggintuff is offline Find More Posts by boggintuff
Old Mar 11, 2011, 02:48 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggintuff View Post
I meant them selling as fast as they get posted. They interest me because of the advancements in the programming capabilities, but leery because of the "newness" or "unproven" aspect of them. The exposed cable though is a HUGE negative for me
1. If concerned about the external coax cable from module to antenna, which really is not noticeable,
stick a little tape over it.
Spectra 2.4Ghz Antenna - Hide coaxial cable inside TX. This if not intending to ever use 72Mhz or other modules.
To date, have seen only one request for a replacement cable - user was trying own method to install coax internally
and did not have a surgeons precision with the sharp knife being used......

2. Aurora has been in use for over 2 years now - well tested.

3. Good support:
- Regular free user instal upgrades to include items from users' Aurora 9 - Software Wish List Thread
most recent as shown
Hitec RCD Aurora 9 - V1.08 Update Includes: ability to enlarge the two main timers to a full screen display as pictured.

- Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, Spectra Modules & Optima Transceivers
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

(quick search = Ctrl+F)
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 01:35 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,227 Posts
The biggest concern you should evaluate is the touch screen.
It's a mistake to consider it a positive, it's the biggest cons of this radio, for me.
I already started to count the "I told you" to the fellows in my community who has now them sent for service. 2 of 16 is not insignifiant... after warranty expires they will start to pay once again for this radio, the display unit replacement is half of the radio cost. Plus the months of wait the trip from Easter Europe to Germany and back...
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Mar 12, 2011, 12:06 PM
USA, LA, Sulphur
Joined Apr 2006
1,211 Posts
I flew the JR X9303 since its release and before that the DX7. I sold the 9303 and bought the Aurora 9 and couldn't be happier. It is very easy to program but it also has so many features that I will probably never use them all. It already has many of the mixes we use preprogrammed so it still leaves 8 p-mixes available for whatever else you might want. At first I hated the exposed antenna wire and thought about rerouting it inside the Tx but after using it I have almost completely forgotten about it.
Hitec support and service is TOPS IMO. I also love the way they listen to users and take note for updates. The last update that was just released has made the radio even better.
dfrazier is offline Find More Posts by dfrazier
Old Mar 12, 2011, 01:51 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Aug 2001
328 Posts
I also moved from an 8103 to the Aurora 9. Prior to that I had a few different JR', and the Futaba 9C and Super 7 series for quite a while prior to that. Our first "JR" radio was back in the mid 80's when they were imported by Circus Hobbies.

I also love the 8103. I still use it on several planes because I have so many receivers. I never had experienced one problem with it.

Going to the aurora 9 has been an eye-opening experience. The Aurora 9, along with the Airtronics SD-10, are by far and away the most flexible radios on the market for under $1000 and it isn't even close. Nothing can compare to their flexibility. These two radios are pretty well equivalent in terms of flexibility and ease of programming.

My brother has the 9503x and it is a very good radio, but it is not as flexible as the Aurora. My dad has the JR 12x and it is nearly perfect, but it is a $1300 radio.

The DX7 in terms of programming is a clone of my old X-378 radio, and that works well enough but is significantly less capable than the Aurora.

The exposed wire seems to be a big point of contention for people, but it is completely a non-issue in my experience.

Bottom line: If you think the 8103 is impressive, you will be utterly blown away by the power of the Aurora. I know I was.
BTerry is offline Find More Posts by BTerry
Old Mar 12, 2011, 02:08 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Aug 2001
328 Posts
One more thing. I would strongly recommend running a jumper from your motor battery (hooked in to the ESC connector) directly into the SPC port. This will guarantee you will never have a brownout issue (rare, but a concern for all 2.4 systems) and at the same time will give you a real-time voltage on the flight pack.

The SPC port can take up to something like 35 volts. You still have to run the batteries through the BEC, but the rx will never have a low-voltage problem.
BTerry is offline Find More Posts by BTerry
Old Mar 15, 2011, 03:54 AM
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
The Aurora9 is arguably one of the most powerful radios on the market, certainly for the price.

It has flexability and features I was shocked to find. The touch screen is a HUGE bonus IMO and using it is incredebly easy and lightning fast.

I couldn't be happier with mine. Try one, if your not satisfied you can sell it here in probably minutes.

I could go on for pages (I wont) about what a great radio it is but really you'd have to try one to believe it. I honestly don't believe you'll find anything close in terms of features, programability and flexability unless you step up to a radio costing several hundreds more. You can find them new with two 7CH receivers (one with the TX one free mail in) for between $300-$350. I got mine from Tower for $280 shipped but I think they have since increased the price a lot. Tom's has a great price and others.

Only negative I personally have against the W8 is I miss spending hours clicking buttons through small dark screens trying to program my other radio lol.
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2
Old Mar 15, 2011, 05:54 AM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
The biggest concern you should evaluate is the touch screen.
It's a mistake to consider it a positive, it's the biggest cons of this radio, for me.
I already started to count the "I told you" to the fellows in my community who has now them sent for service. 2 of 16 is not insignifiant... after warranty expires they will start to pay once again for this radio, the display unit replacement is half of the radio cost. Plus the months of wait the trip from Easter Europe to Germany and back...
Get a screen protector and don't jab the thing with 40 ft/lbs of pressure and I'm sure the touchscreen will be just fine.

Got a year on mine with zero issues.
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 15, 2011, 07:25 AM
Manila, Philippines
Joined Jul 2004
1,204 Posts
Auroro 9 is the Best Value for Money in 9 Channel Category.........I have owned JR 10X, JR DSX 9, Spektrum DX7, Futaba 9C, FF7, FF8.

With Aurora 9, you do not have to worried if your Receiver is FAKE, or Clone.......cause the Aurora Receiver is much less expensive than the other Brand.

I have never encounter any issue on Touch Screen, my JR 10X is Touch Screen its more than 8 years.........I make sure my Hand is clean before I use Touch Screen........by the way, when I got my Aurora 9, theres already Screen Protector in it, I never bother to remove it.

The Touch Screen should almost most last forever, cause there are no moving parts, no conductor to corrode........Most Modeller have complainting above there Touch Screen is due to their carelessness such as using touch screen when their Hand/Finger is full of Oil, Glow Fuel or Gasoline FUel.

Guys, have seen the Hitec Website, they have Hitec Transmitter Modules that can be fitted to any Modules Base JR Radio.........this means I can Convert my JR 10X to Hitec AFSS systems.

For Me, JR 10X is the Best Radio for me due to its METAL CASING......TOUCH SCREEN.....and Look Very Pleasing.........I have lots of RC Modeller here still Keep their JR 10X.
lazy-b is offline Find More Posts by lazy-b
Last edited by lazy-b; Mar 15, 2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 08:14 AM
What Canary?
Huntsville, AL USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,743 Posts
I have a 9303 and an A9. The A9 is definitely newer technology and much easier to figure out programming. The main reason I keep the 9303 is all the small Bind-N-Fly planes and helis that keep coming out. I love the smaller stuff and I doubt Hitec will ever compete in this market. The ideal (for me) would be a DSM2/DSMX module for the A9. I do like the three-pack option that Hitec has for their receivers, you can get a full range 6-channel rx much cheaper than a comparable Spektrum.
KeithK is offline Find More Posts by KeithK
Old Mar 15, 2011, 08:38 AM
Manila, Philippines
Joined Jul 2004
1,204 Posts
Yes, same here.......been flying a ParkZone Bind-N-Fly Plane......I hate to carry 2 separate Transmitter (Aurora 9 and DX5E)

I been working to allowed a Spektrum DSM2 Futaba Modules to work on Aurora 9.........need to designed a circuit to convert a PPM 9 channel to PPM 8 channel.....cause the Spektrum DSM2 Futaba modules will only allowed 8 channel ......have create a separate thread on DIY thread about PPM 9 channel to PPM 8 channel Convertion.
lazy-b is offline Find More Posts by lazy-b