SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 11, 2011, 05:15 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,549 Posts
Discussion
Thermal Scout - Poor Man's Vario?

I read an ad for the Thermal Scout in Model Aviation about a year ago. It looked interesting but I never did anything further.

I would like to hear any experience reports from people who have the Thermal Scout. I found a couple of reports in the electric glider section but nothing in the thermal forum.

Thermal Scout
http://www.wingedshadow.com/thermalscout.html

The concept is simple. You put this on the rudder, between the receiver and the servo. A second wire goes to another channel, a control channel, typically a switched channel like the gear channel on a DX5e radio.

You launch with it turned off. Go thermal hunting. Turn it on at any time you want help finding lift. When it detects lift it wags the rudder so you can see the plane wag or the wings rock, depending on your plane. The posts I have read then suggest you turn it off and work the lift.

It looks interesting so I ordered one.

I have flown with thermal pilots using variometers that talk to you constantly via an ear peace. Some just provide a rising or falling tone, similar to the devices used in full scale sailplanes. Some actually read off altitude. However these varios are expensive, so I never bothered and really didn't want something talking to me as I fly.

However the Thermal Scout is $49 and silent in operation. I ordered one and will try it in my Radian. I use the Radian as my trainer plane so it may be helpful in teaching new pilots to find lift.

What's your experience with the Thermal Scout?
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Mar 14, 2011 at 11:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2011, 09:12 AM
Joined Mar 2009
76 Posts
I have several Thermal Scouts and I use them all the time. They work great. Yesterday, we flew (Tucson) around 3:30 pm, with a 5-9 mph wind. Thermals were small and moving fast with the wind. In the hour of flying we saw no boomers, but the Thermal Scout would show these small thermals. My friend was flying an AVA Pro, and really having to work to find and stay in thermals. With the Scout, in my 2.5 meter full house glider, I just watched for the wiggle and then turn and chase the thermal. Yes, I turn the Thermal Scout off/on with my gear switch.
JRinAZ&MN is offline Find More Posts by JRinAZ&MN
Old Mar 12, 2011, 01:53 AM
USA, MO, Ozark
Joined Nov 2006
1,512 Posts
Will be testing mine out for the first time tommorrow
ozmo01 is offline Find More Posts by ozmo01
Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:20 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,549 Posts
I have not gotten mine yet. Did you get a chance to try yours?
Old Mar 14, 2011, 05:49 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,109 Posts
I got one last year. Haven't used it yet. Let's hear some feedback.
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon
Old Mar 14, 2011, 05:55 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,549 Posts
Wellllll what cha waiting for? Stick that thing in your plane and get it done!
Old Mar 14, 2011, 07:49 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,109 Posts
It's called S-N-O-W. Funny white stuff all over the ground.
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon
Old Mar 15, 2011, 06:51 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,549 Posts
Mine arrived today.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 07:15 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Coral Springs FL
Joined May 2002
685 Posts
Thermal Scout

I've had one since their release.

I've also own a Picolario so I have something to compare it to...

Pros:
Very small and light.
Low cost $40 compared to $350 for a Picolario!
Accurately indicates when the plane has entered lift.
Very helpful when the plane is directly overhead. It is hard to read the plane when it is straight above you. This tool makes lift obvious when your plane is flying above you.
Small enough to fit in a DLG easily.

Cons:
Only indicates you are in lift. Not the quality of the lift. A picolario provides tone pitch changes to indicate the strength of the lift or sink you are in. With a picolario's tone indicator, you can sort of map out a thermal and center on the strongest part.

Wagging tail disrupts your flight. Frequently when you want this tool the most is when lift is very light and your trying to stretch your flight out. You want to fly smooth with the least control inputs.... This is not the time to have your rudder wagging!

Not as good when used with a VTail as it controls only one surface.

As the only indicator of lift is the wagging rudder, it is sometimes difficult to see quickly this indicator when the plane is low and very far away...(Ranged out hunting for lift.)

Considering these points... I highly recommend it. Just understand how best to use it. The name is very appropriate. Use it when "hunting / scouting" for lift. Once you get the rudder waggle, turn it off as quickly as possible and use your skills to work and center the lift. When you find yourself sinking again, set off on a new straight line course and turn it back on.... If you fly through lift even light lift enough to make your plane rise, it will indicate this... Again, turn it off and start flat circles to center and work the lift.

I'm hoping they soon come out with a version that works with the Aurora A9 telemetry. Even if it is just a beep instead of a rudder waggle. This way it is clear when it signals and it does not disrupt your flying when your trying to fly max L/D and smooth.

Radian
www.phflyers.com
Radian is online now Find More Posts by Radian
Old Mar 16, 2011, 07:59 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,307 Posts
Quote:

I'm hoping they soon come out with a version that works with the Aurora A9 telemetry. ]
Sim Salabim! Claps hands. Flash And smoke.

http://www.wingedshadow.com/howhigh.html
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Mar 16, 2011, 09:54 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,549 Posts
How cool is that? Good post Ryan!
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:35 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Coral Springs FL
Joined May 2002
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke View Post
Sim Salabim! Claps hands. Flash And smoke.

http://www.wingedshadow.com/howhigh.html
Aware of this....

It is not a vario. It is an altimeter only.

Add a vario to this (or install both in your plane) and you have all the Picolario does.

1) Vario Function
2) Altitude announce (The new HowHigh)
3) Receiver battery voltage (Aurora A9 standard telemetry)

Just no voice announcement.... But Hitec shows a voice system for their Telemetry coming soon....

Radian
www.phflyers.com
Radian is online now Find More Posts by Radian
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:49 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,549 Posts
The Picolario is a cool device, but it goes beyone the basic variometer function into telemitry.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:57 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,133 Posts
Ed,

Keep it simple. Next time you and Fritz are at the same contest, I'm sure he'd be perfectly willing to be both your timer and your vario. (I've seen, or rather heard, him do it.) However, although he has total energy compensation and pretty quick response, his whining tone gets really annoying very quickly. Also, the objective output is occasionally interrupted by humorous remarks, perhaps at your expense.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2011, 01:20 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,486 Posts
I got myself a Thermal Scout after Radian told me about them, and I like mine.

One recommendation: Put it on a spring-loaded switch that you have to hold in the on position. You don't want to accidentally have it on when you're launching.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike