HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2011, 04:20 PM
Sir Crash-a-lot
Phoenix,az
Joined Apr 2010
37 Posts
Discussion
Upgrading or souping up your Dynam Hawk Sky

So you got your Hawk sky, got some flight time under your wings and now you'd like to upgrade your hawk sky.

First thing you may have noticed is that on your first or second landing your landing gear fell off. I own 3 hawk sky's and my Nephew has 1, and they all do this.

Second thing is since the gear keeps falling off your scuffing the crap out of the nose and belly.

Third there's that rather under powered motor.

Forth you'd like to fly on days other than when it's perfectly calm or only a slight breeze.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First thing you'll want to do when you get your Hawk sky and build it, or even if you have had it a while is to Fiberglass the underside of the front third of airplane, as well as about 2 or 3 inches of the tail under the Elevator.

Before you do that remove the Black plastic landing gear retainer. If you leave that in and then glass the fuselage, if or when you crash and rip it out again it will take the fiberglass out with it.

Now you can fly with or without landing gear and if your like me the fields you fly at do not have grass, you won't rip up the underside so much. See pics below.

As for that stock motor and prop. My testing shows that it produces about 15oz of thrust. The Plane weighs in at 16 or so ozs without battery. I picked up a couple of Microjet V3 motors from Grayson Hobbies You may want to replace that 18a ESC as well. Make sure you pickup a 6x4 "wooden" prop from your local hobby store too. I tested several different props and the combination of V3 and Wooden prop produced around 22oz thrust give or take. Beating out the 6x4 plastic props I could get. They are quieter too. You will also need a prop adapter.

here is one way to mount the motor: http://www.rcpowers.com/forum/showth...Your-HAWK-SKY!

Lastly for flying on Really windy days I recommend a rate gyro like this one. http://www.xheli.com /eskygyro.html Mounted on the roll access to control the ailerons. See this video I found on you tube for how to do that:
Hawksky gyro install with Esky 704 gyro (14 min 21 sec)

That's it, now you you have converted a good beginners plane into something even more fun to fly.

Now go have fun:
Higher and Higher (2 min 59 sec)
flinx is offline Find More Posts by flinx
to remove ads between posts