HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Do you where safety glasses/sunglasses/goggles when flying?
Yes 35 55.56%
No 28 44.44%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 10, 2011, 03:34 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,188 Posts
Poll
Do you wear safety goggles/glasses/sunglasses when flying your heli?

I thought I would start this poll due to the nature of the hobby and safety. Have fun!
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2011, 03:41 PM
Rochester NY
Joined Sep 2008
6,951 Posts
This should be posted in the fullsize heli section to get more veteran pilots opinions not here where mostly new fliers post. Also why did you put sunglasses in there?? Who doesnt wear sunglasses when they fly? You do fly in the sun now dont you? You should Change the title and take out sunglasses cus they provide 0 safety and after all thats what this poll is all about anyway isnt it?
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 10, 2011, 03:43 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,914 Posts
When I fly indoor I use my regular glasses, outdoor sunglasses or regular glasses when it's cloudy. The risk flying a 30g "heavy" heli is very small, but apart from the fact that I need glasses to see in a distance, I also feel like it's a necessary safety measure. A flybar weight coming off can be nasty if it hits your eyes, and the blades on the bigger helis are also something to be treated with respect.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2011, 03:44 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,346 Posts
I think safety glasses are more needed for micro rather than full size......
Few reasons:
You fly closer to micro heli's
You fly them closer to objects and blade shatter happening close to you is more common
Smaller parts that most people dont put as much torque on...like blade grips and flybars
Glasses wont help much to stop injury with a large heli

So IMO good place to put the poll.
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Mar 10, 2011, 03:47 PM
Can't get enough
Joined May 2010
2,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
This should be posted in the fullsize heli section to get more veteran pilots opinions not here where mostly new fliers post. Also why did you put sunglasses in there?? Who doesnt wear sunglasses when they fly? You do fly in the sun now dont you? You should Change the title and take out sunglasses cus they provide 0 safety and after all thats what this poll is all about anyway isnt it?
This is the poll I started, but thanks for your input. I am asking what people wear.....And not all fly in the sun...some like me live in washington where sun if few and far between. Also, sunglasses will definitely help with micros versus not wearing anything.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 04:05 PM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,636 Posts
Yes otherwise I could not see beyond the transmitter!
DMala is offline Find More Posts by DMala
Old Mar 10, 2011, 04:10 PM
Rochester NY
Joined Sep 2008
6,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
This is the poll I started, but thanks for your input. I am asking what people wear.....And not all fly in the sun...some like me live in washington where sun if few and far between. Also, sunglasses will definitely help with micros versus not wearing anything.
As you stated in your 1st post you are asking because of safety. I do not see how regular sunglasses provide much safety.
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 10, 2011, 04:12 PM
Newb Rotary Pilot
Odenton, MD
Joined Apr 2009
409 Posts
Well I almost lost my eye the other day at work. So, I went out and bought a "Stylish" pair of safety glasses to wear at work always mind you I only work in a warehouse was just a random piece of wood that almost took out my eye.

So sunglasses.....yes....always...especially if it is sunny Safety glasses for micro helis? Gonna wear em now better safe than sorry especially since I have a nice pair! Good poll! Be SAFE everyone!
Nytflyer is offline Find More Posts by Nytflyer
Old Mar 10, 2011, 04:12 PM
NB Canada
Joined Apr 2008
458 Posts
Also, some sunglasses might be 'safety' glasses as well. (Such as cycling or other sport glasses). However, it's perhaps more useful to have 3 choices: no eye protection, sun/prescription, safety glasses of some sort.

Anyway I always wear safety glasses with r/c helis, power tools, etc. It's really quite silly not to do so, as I've stated many times in these forums. It's like when people might say to parents, about their kids: 'oh you're being too cautious' or 'you can't protect them from everything'. While those are true statements to some extent, when your child has a serious injury or worse, all such arguments will hold NO meaning for you and you'll wish you had taken simple precautions.
Beckler is offline Find More Posts by Beckler
Old Mar 10, 2011, 04:38 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,591 Posts
I remember a post about a year ago with a picture of a guy who got hit by his heli, it wasn't pretty. Sure not worth having an eye injury. I wear plastic sunglasses and have been hit a few times by other objects. They seem to work well enough. There is no substitute for safety glasses though. I hit myself in the hand with a V100 and it hurt plenty and left a small hematoma.
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Mar 10, 2011, 05:24 PM
Can't get enough
Joined May 2010
2,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
As you stated in your 1st post you are asking because of safety. I do not see how regular sunglasses provide much safety.
It is more safe than not wearing anything. Pretty simple
Old Mar 10, 2011, 05:28 PM
If it ain't broke, fix it.
USA, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2004
1,187 Posts
Yep, I do. It's a simple, easy precaution.

And it doesn't take much effort at all to do.
Hasher66 is offline Find More Posts by Hasher66
Old Mar 10, 2011, 06:31 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
I only wear glasses when I want to to see....Anything!
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
Old Mar 10, 2011, 11:31 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,268 Posts
My trifocals have plastic lenses.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Mar 11, 2011, 04:47 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,126 Posts
This is a good poll and discussion. I used to wear glasses before I had lasik surgery and now I don't wear anything, not even sunglasses. But I am very aware of the dangers and had thought of getting a pair of safety glasses. This is especially since I have been hit by a thrown off blade of a 450 heli before.

Years before, I used to wear a safety helmet but all the other fliers would laugh at me. But since then, there had been a number of serious incidents in Hong Kong. In one accident, a bystander was hit in the face and required 80 stiches. In another, a modeller was hit in the back of his head and he became wheelchair bound and paralazed afterwards. The last accident involved a model shop owner who was partially blinded while adjusting a 450 heli inside his shop.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw