Old Apr 13, 2011, 02:23 PM
Why is the Rum gone?
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Mar 2008
1,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Chip View Post
Build one. EZPZ.
The ferrite ring is quite simple. What kind of capacitors am I looking for? I have quite a few electronics in my basement that don't need capacitors anymore, lol
sim_io is offline Find More Posts by sim_io
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2011, 02:45 PM
Honey Badger
United States, FL
Joined Oct 2005
1,814 Posts
16v (I use 470u) - others use 1000u (really big).

Radio Shack has them - about a dollar each.
Blue Chip is offline Find More Posts by Blue Chip
Old Apr 13, 2011, 03:36 PM
Why is the Rum gone?
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Mar 2008
1,668 Posts
Why 16v? My camera voltage is 12v Why would I use 16v?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 03:44 PM
Registered Loser :)
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sim_io View Post
Why 16v? My camera voltage is 12v Why would I use 16v?
It doesn't matter if you use 25v, don't use a lower voltage cap than the supply and you will be sweet. I think you can even get away with a 47uf cap.
More turns on the toroid if you have any lines still remaining, I used to have 16 turns on a toroid with no cap and it worked 99%, the capacitor just finished it off.

Mark
mark hitchman is offline Find More Posts by mark hitchman
Old Apr 13, 2011, 03:59 PM
Why is the Rum gone?
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Mar 2008
1,668 Posts
Now why doesn't voltage matter as long as its 12<? and the more uf the better?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 04:09 PM
Dax
There is no spoon
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Aug 2002
1,016 Posts
The voltage does not matter as long as it's greater than 12v. 16v gives a good margin for error. The more uf the better filtering, but after a certain point the law of diminishing returns takes effect.
Dax is offline Find More Posts by Dax
Old Apr 13, 2011, 05:11 PM
United States, MN, Rochester
Joined Oct 2004
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Chip View Post
I probably have a 16v1000 (which is fairly large) laying around... if you need it - I can send it to you.
Thanks for the offer but I figured I might as well keep digging at Digikey since they are dirt cheap there (and you probably have a limited supply).

Anyway, I was able to get a list of caps that <i>should</i> work by selecting these filter criteria:
Radial can, through hole , general purpose, 470F, 16v, Nichicon
I would be interested to hear if there are any other specs that one should use when selecting a capacitor.... Any EEs out there?? Or maybe they are all fine for FPV purposes?
sandmaninator is offline Find More Posts by sandmaninator
Old Apr 13, 2011, 05:56 PM
Why is the Rum gone?
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Mar 2008
1,668 Posts
I've found a 63v uf4000 I think I should keep looking around. lol
Old Apr 13, 2011, 05:57 PM
It's pronounced Caveman...
Reno, NV
Joined Nov 2009
437 Posts
I'm curious as to the design of the DCPAV filter. Maybe the picture just isn't clear, but isn't it only the positive wire wrapped around the ferrite core, or is both positive and negative wrapped? I ask because it looks like bare copper wiring going around the ring, and obviously that wouldn't enable running both + and - around it...

I'm just curious because I was wiring up a second plane up for FPV, and created another filter, and had to choose between a toroid with only 1 wire wrapped around it a bunch of times, or a toroid seperated in half by a wafer of something, obviously with fewer wraps. Due to the results in the other "Sanders LV Filter" thread, I went with the dual-wired toroid, but then I saw the DCPAV filter, which seems to have gone with a single wire. Maybe that's why you're still seeing lines with the DCPAV filter?
c4v3man is offline Find More Posts by c4v3man
Old Apr 13, 2011, 07:05 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,761 Posts
I have the opposite problem from most of you. Tons of caps, but cant find a usable torroid.

I do have some linear magnets laying around, would wrapping a wire around a non curricular magnet work?
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
Old Apr 13, 2011, 07:19 PM
Dax
There is no spoon
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Aug 2002
1,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshy View Post
I have the opposite problem from most of you. Tons of caps, but cant find a usable torroid.

I do have some linear magnets laying around, would wrapping a wire around a non curricular magnet work?
Don't do that. You want a ferrite core, but not a magnetized one.

See the picture here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inductor

I've read you can simply wrap the wire around a straw and use the airgap instead of the ferrite core.
Dax is offline Find More Posts by Dax
Old Apr 14, 2011, 07:59 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,212 Posts
I have the one from DPCAV and it works perfectly. Took all the motor interference out in a single battery setup.
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Apr 14, 2011, 02:42 PM
Unlimited FPV
Latvia, Riga
Joined Jun 2010
229 Posts
I need everything work from one DC (or 3lipo)

So my situation is :

I need to power :

2 video RX
1 Eagle Eyes FPV station with two heavy duty servos:

SM-S8166M 154g/33kg/High torque http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT (FOR PAN)

and Servo SM-S4315M 60g 2X Ball bearing 17KG http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT for tilt

So i need these servos for my antenna tracker. Problem is every time pan or tilt servo is moving video drop outs for sec and then appears again and so on, problem disappears when i plug separate power supply for Eagle Eyes FPV station. Its already disscussed on Eagle topic..but i still dont understand how to make a good filter ... i was triying to put this 15A 25V DC power line filter for FPV Video TX RC models http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT (with ferrite ring) between 3s LIPO and 2 Video RX and same time powering Eagle Eyes directly from lipo before and after filter... also tried to add extra 1000uf/35 capacitor after 15 25V DC filter... Tried also twist servo wires with ferrite and so on... Does Dpcav will solve the problem or not ? http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.p...cat=103&page=1 ? or do i need to get smth like this on image... maybe someone can show how to wire Eagle Eyes with 2 Video TX from 3s lipo ?... so i can see in which place i should put capacitors..and so on... Thanks
ganapati08 is offline Find More Posts by ganapati08
Old Apr 14, 2011, 03:14 PM
It's pronounced Caveman...
Reno, NV
Joined Nov 2009
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganapati08 View Post
I need everything work from one DC (or 3lipo)

So my situation is :

I need to power :

2 video RX
1 Eagle Eyes FPV station with two heavy duty servos:

SM-S8166M 154g/33kg/High torque http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT (FOR PAN)

and Servo SM-S4315M 60g 2X Ball bearing 17KG http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT for tilt

So i need these servos for my antenna tracker. Problem is every time pan or tilt servo is moving video drop outs for sec and then appears again and so on, problem disappears when i plug separate power supply for Eagle Eyes FPV station. Its already disscussed on Eagle topic..but i still dont understand how to make a good filter ... i was triying to put this 15A 25V DC power line filter for FPV Video TX RC models http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT (with ferrite ring) between 3s LIPO and 2 Video RX and same time powering Eagle Eyes directly from lipo before and after filter... also tried to add extra 1000uf/35 capacitor after 15 25V DC filter... Tried also twist servo wires with ferrite and so on... Does Dpcav will solve the problem or not ? http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.p...cat=103&page=1 ? or do i need to get smth like this on image... maybe someone can show how to wire Eagle Eyes with 2 Video TX from 3s lipo ?... so i can see in which place i should put capacitors..and so on... Thanks
I don't really have anything to add, other than I'm curious if you have tried hooking up one of your RX's directly to your monitor/goggles during testing to see if the video is dropping out at the rx level, or at the eagle eyes.
c4v3man is offline Find More Posts by c4v3man
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:17 AM
Unlimited FPV
Latvia, Riga
Joined Jun 2010
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4v3man View Post
I don't really have anything to add, other than I'm curious if you have tried hooking up one of your RX's directly to your monitor/goggles during testing to see if the video is dropping out at the rx level, or at the eagle eyes.

Yes i hook directly to googles, also i video output to PC easycap on googles video drops out and on pc too Then it appear again after servo not moving.
ganapati08 is offline Find More Posts by ganapati08