HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2011, 12:27 PM
Joined Mar 2011
28 Posts
Discussion
Need some advice on some RC questions

I'm brand new to the RC world here so please bear with me. I am looking for a decent transmitter and I managed to come across this:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8992

I know nothing about them. It seems to have about as many features as I need at this time. Is there a way to interface the Turnigy 9x with an Arduino controller? I want to be able to put the RC device into an autonomous mode with the flip of one of the switches, but I am not sure (without severe hacking of the device) if it's possible. Looks like the range is pretty promising from what the reviews have said and it seems to be very programmable.

Second question for you all. I bought 2 10x6x3 props. How do you size the motors for them, or all props for that matter? I've found conversion equations for converting prop sizes from 2 to 3 & 4 props, but I'm still trying to find info on motor sizing.

Any information would be GREATLY appreciated.

Rami
Ramidan is offline Find More Posts by Ramidan
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2011, 02:45 PM
Dave the Rave
Joined Jun 2007
869 Posts
The general rule of thumb for a 3-bladed prop is that you drop down one inch in diameter and one number in pitch from the recommended 2-blade sizes. Most motors will include recommended prop sizes for various types of flying and/or wattage loads desired. As for motor sizing, a good way to choose a motor is to look at the motor's specs and make your choice based on the weight of the model.

I think the Turnigy transmitter/receiver combo will interface with an Arduino as well as any other brand, whether or not it will do what you want it to do will depend mostly on the code.
dmccormick001 is offline Find More Posts by dmccormick001
Old Mar 10, 2011, 05:13 PM
Joined Mar 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccormick001 View Post
The general rule of thumb for a 3-bladed prop is that you drop down one inch in diameter and one number in pitch from the recommended 2-blade sizes. Most motors will include recommended prop sizes for various types of flying and/or wattage loads desired. As for motor sizing, a good way to choose a motor is to look at the motor's specs and make your choice based on the weight of the model.
Hmmm, as I am in the design phase, maybe it was a bit premature to order the props....

Just to make sure I am getting the prop thing, the 10 is the diameter of the prop (NOT the individual blade length), 6 is the unit of measure it will lift with 1 complete rotation, and 3 being obviously the number of blades on the prop?

Quote:
I think the Turnigy transmitter/receiver combo will interface with an Arduino as well as any other brand, whether or not it will do what you want it to do will depend mostly on the code.
This is good news

Thank you most kindly for the info!
Old Mar 13, 2011, 05:28 AM
Up up and away!
Sweden
Joined Oct 2010
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramidan View Post
Is there a way to interface the Turnigy 9x with an Arduino controller? I want to be able to put the RC device into an autonomous mode with the flip of one of the switches, but I am not sure (without severe hacking of the device) if it's possible.
You can use one of the open-source alternative firmwares for Turnigy 9x (for example th9x) to change the behavior.

But to make an autonomous mode what you need instead is some device in the aircraft that senses the oritentation since that can't be predicted by the transmitter. An example is ArduPilot. ArduPilot and other similar solutions uses a channel just like those controlling servos to enable or disable the autopilot. That means you only need a spare channel to control it. No need to hack the transmitter.
FpvKiwi is offline Find More Posts by FpvKiwi
Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:19 PM
Joined Mar 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FpvKiwi View Post
You can use one of the open-source alternative firmwares for Turnigy 9x (for example th9x) to change the behavior.

But to make an autonomous mode what you need instead is some device in the aircraft that senses the oritentation since that can't be predicted by the transmitter. An example is ArduPilot. ArduPilot and other similar solutions uses a channel just like those controlling servos to enable or disable the autopilot. That means you only need a spare channel to control it. No need to hack the transmitter.
It's FUNNY you mention this, I ran into the Audupilot site when I was digging for some info. I wondered exactly how many channels it would use. I need to dig into it more and check some other things (as it is a bit more expensive than I wanted to go for initial building), but I think initially, I'll build the V22-esque flyer, then go from there.

A few more questions to ask here though, are there suppliers or certain manufacturers to stay away from? Good batteries? etc?
Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:38 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Just FYI, this is the wrong forum for this type of question. Check out Radios for the Tx questions, and Power Systems for the obvious. This forum is for the geeks here who dabble in home-built electronics. The majority of the RC geeks don't hang out here..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Mar 14, 2011, 09:13 PM
Joined Mar 2011
28 Posts
Ah, I gotcha Andy, I didn't know where to exactly post. If this is home-built electronics, then I'll fit in fine. And if most RC guys dont hang out here, there loss...

:: shrug ::

Thanks for the points in the right direction!

- Rami
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:55 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
The conversation would be, for the most part, over their heads anyway!
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W