HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 25, 2012, 03:13 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,242 Posts
Are these boats fiberglass over would or just coated with epoxy and painted ?
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2012, 03:22 PM
---o-O-o---
United States, NJ, Livingston
Joined Mar 2012
1,591 Posts
gpzy, I used 1/32nd ply for the bottom and sides as per the plans, so I am putting a layer of cloth and epoxy for a little xtra strength. I suppose you could just go with epoxy and no cloth.

Pete
blutoh is offline Find More Posts by blutoh
Last edited by blutoh; Jun 03, 2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old May 25, 2012, 03:22 PM
Joined Jan 2007
565 Posts
mine is coated and painted
larryg is online now Find More Posts by larryg
Old May 25, 2012, 08:26 PM
Brisbane
Joined Feb 2008
291 Posts
ADAGIO (slow dancin'man)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzy View Post
Are these boats fiberglass over would or just coated with epoxy and painted ?
You can do either. My Murray River paddlesteamer has both; glass and epoxy outer and epoxy inner.

I used the Boatcraft system of the TPRDA/epoxy mix then, as soon as it had gelled, I sanded it over with 80 grit paper, wiped it down to get it clean, another coat of full strength epoxy with a layer of scrim glass cloth (seriously fine mesh), wiped over with gloved hands to smooth it out and left to cure. Human hands are wonderful tools for getting a surface finish fair.

A couple of coffees with choccie bickie later and a good read for a couple of hours, sanded it over with much finer paper and primed it with enamel undercoat and finished it as usual for enamel.

Tough stuff and hard wearing. Easy, just believe what the instructions say, NOT the local self appointed expert on all things.

Inside, I simply coated it with one coat of TPRDA and epoxy mix, and painted it over with enamel undercoat straight over the epoxy. Job done and holding up well.

In full size boatbuilding, epoxy is the best timber primer/sealer by far, followed by 'glass as specificed by the boat designer or the epoxy dealer.

An essential ingredient to doing a good job is the coffee/choccie bickie bit. It's called patience.
ADAGIO is offline Find More Posts by ADAGIO
Old Jun 02, 2012, 11:29 AM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Aug 2005
598 Posts
The rudder placement and size concerns me, any ideas?
marter1229 is online now Find More Posts by marter1229
Old Jun 02, 2012, 03:53 PM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
Hey marter its looking great! the rudder would probably benefit from adding some area forward of the pivot point, to balance it so your servo isn't fighting the prop thrust so much. Try moving the center of pivot back to 25-33% from the leading edge of the rudder. Other than that its awesome.
JayJay76 is offline Find More Posts by JayJay76
Old Jun 03, 2012, 03:59 PM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,591 Posts
Terry it looks great! Can't comment on the rudder because being a nooby i have no clue but I would follow JayJays advice. I just got back from a weeks vacation, so I have to catch up. I want to get it wet in next 2 weeks or so.

Pete
Old Jun 03, 2012, 04:05 PM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
Hey Blutoh welcome back! I can't wait to see who's salty hits the water first, will it be yours? I've been away from RCG the last couple weeks busy with work and the cartoon runabout. I finished the prototype plans and I have the hull framed, sheeted, and the interior reinforced with glass strips and sealed with resin; as soon as my mahogany and obechi planks arrive I'll be posting photos and updates. I'm hoping the wood shows up by wednesday, so I can start planking over the 4 day weekend!
JayJay76 is offline Find More Posts by JayJay76
Old Jun 03, 2012, 04:11 PM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,591 Posts
Great JayJay, I can't wait to see it. My running gear showed up while I was away, so I have everything I need to finish now. It shouldn't be long.

Pete
Last edited by blutoh; Jun 03, 2012 at 07:42 PM. Reason: brain fart
Old Jun 08, 2012, 03:50 PM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Aug 2005
598 Posts
Electrics installed and working.

I believe it is ready to go.
It was hard to find an ESC for a brushed motor, that I forgot Reverse, so I have to pay attention when I launch. Murphy's law !
Old Jun 08, 2012, 06:43 PM
Joined Jan 2007
565 Posts
Love your work Marter, looks awesome , you even got a steering wheel in the pilot house, dang now i have to do some improvements on mine ..lol
Old Jun 08, 2012, 06:45 PM
Joined Jan 2007
565 Posts
Marter , what type paint did you use ?? looks great
Last edited by larryg; Jun 08, 2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 08:17 PM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Aug 2005
598 Posts
Rustoleum Premier that I bought at Ace hardware. There is a ton of colors, and it sprays pretty good.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:11 PM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,591 Posts
Looks great Terry! Take some video's when you launch her. What motor did you use?

Pete