JayJay76 is offline Find More Posts by JayJay76
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2012, 04:11 PM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnome View Post
JayJay. did you ever make up a set of plans for that toyscale runabout down thread?

and great looking plans! I'll be taking the PDFs down to Kinko's next payday
Hi bgnome, i've been working on the runabout the last few days, i will post some images of the current status tomorrow. I'm glad you like the lil' salty plans, if you have any comments or suggestions, or if you find some errors be sure to let me know.
Old May 16, 2012, 10:03 AM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
Any updated build photos? Has anyone hit the water yet?
Old May 16, 2012, 12:11 PM
---o-O-o---
United States, NJ, Livingston
Joined Mar 2012
1,591 Posts
Not yet, but I'm still working on it. Wheelhouse took a long time, "fill, sand, repeat......" until I finally got it smooth enough for painting. Cutting the lite ply on the tablesaw left a lot of tearout on the edges. I should have used a zero clearance insert, but wasn't thinking, I used a plywood blade and thought that would take care of it.
I have some questions about finishing the hull:
  1. Should I put more than one layer of finishing resin?
  2. If yes, which layer gets the cloth?
  3. Will polyester filler cure over epoxy finihing resin, I read polyester has problems curing when put over epoxy?
  4. Any particular type of primer, I plan on using acrylic paints?
  5. Any particular clear coat, like spar varnish with UV protection?

Pete
blutoh is online now Find More Posts by blutoh
Old May 16, 2012, 07:44 PM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutoh View Post
Not yet, but I'm still working on it. Wheelhouse took a long time, "fill, sand, repeat......" until I finally got it smooth enough for painting. Cutting the lite ply on the tablesaw left a lot of tearout on the edges. I should have used a zero clearance insert, but wasn't thinking, I used a plywood blade and thought that would take care of it.
I have some questions about finishing the hull:
  1. Should I put more than one layer of finishing resin?
  2. If yes, which layer gets the cloth?
  3. Will polyester filler cure over epoxy finihing resin, I read polyester has problems curing when put over epoxy?
  4. Any particular type of primer, I plan on using acrylic paints?
  5. Any particular clear coat, like spar varnish with UV protection?

Pete
Hi pete, im no finishing expert but i put the glass on first with enough resin to wet it out, then another coat to fill the weave then sanded thoroughly with 300 grit before primer then paint. The resin makes it all waterproof the rest is merely cosmetic
Old May 16, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Jan 2007
565 Posts
my Salty in the test tank resulted in a little trouble, i use one of those graupner speed 400 ready made unit with drive shaft and gearing, well i ran it a few laps and the dang bearing ceased up, i at the time could not figure out what was happening till my speed control started smoking., well now i have to take it out and scratch my own shaft and bearing..no big deal
larryg is online now Find More Posts by larryg
Old May 17, 2012, 04:58 PM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,591 Posts
I'm waiting for the radio and motor to show up, these are holding up progress a little but should be here shortly, The old motor and radio that I had were both a pos, so decide to get new stuff. Got a few coats or primer on the wheelhouse, but still needs more filling and sanding in a few spots. Now that I see it in primer, I'm afraid I made the hat a little too small, what do you think? I can always make a new hat Here are some progress shots.

Pete
Old May 17, 2012, 05:02 PM
In The Sorrano Triangle
El Dorado Hills, Calif
Joined Mar 2005
1,023 Posts
there is no right or wrong way to do it..it is your way and will be respected as such..great job
jim
BOZINATOR is offline Find More Posts by BOZINATOR
Old May 17, 2012, 06:12 PM
Joined Jan 2007
565 Posts
that hat looks good to me, good job
Old May 17, 2012, 06:33 PM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,591 Posts
Thanks. I'm going to go with the hat the way it is. Want to get some color on it this weekend, and I still have to make my rudder, too.

Pete
Old May 18, 2012, 10:19 AM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Aug 2005
598 Posts
Knowing I want to do more sanding and painting, Salty had another plan. Salty wants to go fishing.
marter1229 is offline Find More Posts by marter1229
Old May 18, 2012, 11:07 AM
Joined Jan 2007
565 Posts
cant blame Salty a bit, bet you re having some beautiful weather now and some beautuful fishing spots,
Old May 19, 2012, 04:44 PM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,591 Posts
A little closer Sides are on but not trimmed yet.

Pete
Old May 25, 2012, 02:39 AM
Brisbane
Joined Feb 2008
291 Posts
ADAGIO (slow dancin' man)

I read that polyester won't set up ontop of epoxy.

Pete[/QUOTE]

You're quite right Pete, epoxy will stick to just about anything (including your good shirt if you're not careful, and never come off - guess who's talking from experience), polyester will not stick (as in properly adhere) to epoxy, and it will separate from timber if moisture gets between it and the base timber - it's a mongrel when that happens, the whole boat side/bottom or whatever is then likely to peel right off. Besides that, polyester stinks to high heaven; just make sure you use rubber gloves with either as they can both give you an allergic rash.

In Australia, Boatcraft Pacific sells a range of different epoxies for different uses, including an exceptionally good dilutant for first coat use, TPRDA, (Timber Preservative and Reactive Diluent) a non solvent (as in NO acetone) addition to mixed epoxy. Silly sounding name but it made my 1 metre long Murray River paddlesteamer in 3mm balsa planking stand up to lots of regular use and hors de combat for over a year now without failing; great on all "soft" timbers, and no doubt the same sort of stuff is available in other countries. I'd suggest that you do yourself a HUGE favour and talk to the local BOAT epoxy dealer, not the builders supply.

If you sand the epoxy just as it has "gelled", you can get enamel primer to stick very, very well. Water based products need to be tested for adhesion. Stick with house enamel, it works a treat outdoors on our houses, so it must have some pretty good gooleygum in it.

Happy boating from Logan City Marine Modellers Inc. check our thread.
ADAGIO is offline Find More Posts by ADAGIO
Old May 25, 2012, 02:35 PM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,591 Posts
Thanks ADAGIO. I bought some Zpoxy epoxy finishing resin and .75oz cloth. I am going to do some testing on scrap pieces of wood to get the hang of it before I put it on the boat. I will then use the scrap pieces to test my paints as well. I rather make a mess of the scrap finding out what works or doesn't, instead of testing on the the boat itself . Hey your Logan City Marine Modellers thread is great, some very interesting boats there!

Pete