Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 30, 2012, 02:48 PM
Joined May 2001
2,902 Posts
Jay, that sound is so familiar! And it looks very realistic too, great job. Interesting to see how you did yours slightly different. The rubber O-ring is a real good idea, I had always tried to figure out how to put a small piece of rubber on mine to cut down on the noise of the arm slapping the stops.

I presume you will eventually have the speed controlled by the throttle input from your Rx instead of the potentiometer for testing? At full valve speed the flutter is so rapid there isn't much noticeable effect on the smoke output - but you could easily have your programming friend scale the top end so at full throttle the valve cycles at the fastest speed that still looks realistic.

One good thing about the flapper valve is that since you can have it full open or full closed, you could even create some fancy routines in code, for example, a few really big puffs on startup or the like.

Anyway, great job, and I'll be looking forward to seeing this on the water!

Luke
LukeZ is offline Find More Posts by LukeZ
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2012, 05:14 AM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeZ View Post
I presume you will eventually have the speed controlled by the throttle input from your Rx instead of the potentiometer for testing? At full valve speed the flutter is so rapid there isn't much noticeable effect on the smoke output - but you could easily have your programming friend scale the top end so at full throttle the valve cycles at the fastest speed that still looks realistic.

One good thing about the flapper valve is that since you can have it full open or full closed, you could even create some fancy routines in code, for example, a few really big puffs on startup or the like.
Hey Luke,

Thanks for the ideas! My buddy has already made provisions in the code to limit min. and max. throttle speeds, these I can tweak myself once the unit is mounted in a smokestack. It will be tied to throttle position as well as the fan speed, im thinking just 3 fan settings, idle-mid-max, and a cool-down routine. I hadn't thought of a start up routine, I'll ask him about it.

slightly off-topic, I had a prolonged tweak session friday night and made lots of smoke, and found that a wick made of rolled fiberglass cloth produces more smoke than the kevlar yarn does, but doesn't burn up so quickly. I woke up sick on saturday and thought i had an allergic reaction to the glycol fog but it turned out to be the worst head cold i've ever had. The thought of putting some eucalyptus oil in the fog fluid briefly crossed my mind but then I thought that might not be wise..
JayJay76 is offline Find More Posts by JayJay76
Old Feb 01, 2012, 04:09 PM
Model trains, Rc Boats, Rc air
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2009
385 Posts
What program are you using, not google Sketchup
6789boat is offline Find More Posts by 6789boat
Old Feb 02, 2012, 05:49 AM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
Its rhino, one of the programs I use at work. this model is getting complicated but the surfacing is all very simple compared to what I'm used to working with.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:28 AM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
just a quick update, I finished the hull over the weekend and painted it, photos below. I finished building the wheelhouse, now I just need to apply a bit of filler and paint it, she will be on the river this weekend at last!
Old Mar 27, 2012, 06:28 AM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
Here are some photos of the wheelhouse
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:31 PM
GILL
United States, NJ, Hopatcong
Joined Aug 2005
2,561 Posts
Looking good, I'm looking forward to some in water shots.
GILL RC is offline Find More Posts by GILL RC
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:59 PM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GILL RC View Post
Looking good, I'm looking forward to some in water shots.
I'm still waiting to see some video of yours....
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:04 AM
GILL
United States, NJ, Hopatcong
Joined Aug 2005
2,561 Posts
Our next meeting is at the pond on April 7, I'll try.
GILL RC is offline Find More Posts by GILL RC
Old Mar 28, 2012, 03:36 PM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
Today I sprayed the wheelhouse with two coats of white primer with a thorough sanding in between, it's looking very smooth and the grain is gone so tomorrow I will spray 2 coats of bright red and wet sand the clearcoat on the Hull a bit, then on friday everything gets a coat of 2-part clear as a final seal. I'm planning to have her on the water Sunday morning. More pics tomorrow.
Last edited by JayJay76; Mar 29, 2012 at 01:02 AM.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 06:05 AM
Joined Jan 2007
568 Posts
JayJay, your salty looks great, very nice job
larryg is online now Find More Posts by larryg
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:18 AM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
Thanks Larry!

Revised plans will be up later this week. I need to make a few adjustments and prepare 2 versions both with and without the controversial box keel.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:50 AM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Aug 2005
606 Posts
This is a great tug.
Is Lil Salty the 9" version? It looks larger.

Like the Springers, we need many different versions of Salty, maybe one that resembles the "RED October"
marter1229 is offline Find More Posts by marter1229
Old Apr 02, 2012, 03:20 PM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
Hi marter,
No this is the 20.5" version, the 9" is called the saltine. I'll be publishing the plans shortly. I would love to see variations, I think the red October is so cool! the plans will include the wheelhouse I've built but it would be great to see someone else's ideas.