Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 10, 2011, 08:44 AM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
Build Log
"Salty" Flat bottom and box keel tugs - free plans!

I've been looking at a small simple toylike tug for my second boat scratchbuild, and I like the simplicity of a flat bottom hull but I'm wondering how this shape performs as a model, and will it handle any rough water or would it be strictly for pool cruising? Lets find out!
JayJay76 is offline Find More Posts by JayJay76
Last edited by JayJay76; May 04, 2012 at 06:26 AM. Reason: add photos
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2011, 01:41 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,573 Posts
Should be fairly straight forward and not too difficult for a model project. handling will depend on how big/scale you plan on making it. being that the full size is relativily small the model may want o be in a bigger scale to give you the pleasures you are hoping for.
keith S is online now Find More Posts by keith S
Old Mar 10, 2011, 02:41 PM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
Thanks Keith, I'll start working on the plans this weekend. I'm thinking about 30" or so in length
Old Mar 10, 2011, 06:59 PM
Olympia WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,027 Posts
You might want to look at Phillip Bolger's book BOATS WITH AN OPEN MIND. He has several small flat bottom tugs and yachts with full lines that could be blown up by a copy store and give you all the information you need. I have been looking at a couple of them myself but my bench is full right now. Jerryj98501
jerryj98501 is offline Find More Posts by jerryj98501
Old Mar 12, 2011, 06:45 PM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,285 Posts
Take a look at this site. http://www.smalltugs.com/ These are simialar to what you are looking for and they are easy to work from. All you have to do is pay shipping and a set of plans can be had for any of his designs on the site. Keep in mind they are not the full shipyard set of plans with plumbing layouts etc... but enough, including offsets, to make a beautiful model.

Greg
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Old Mar 13, 2011, 05:27 PM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
I've ordered "boats with an open mind" but in the meantime I'm reading around about flat bottom boats and I started modeling a basic design. no details yet but here is a peek.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 01:08 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,751 Posts
From what I've seen of the expertise of most of the subscribers to these forums, any of you guys could build or develop a decent model from a simple photo---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Mar 16, 2011, 06:05 AM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
I've been reading 'Boats with an Open Mind', a great book and I really like the microtrawler, it's right along the lines of what I'm after. I was planning on a completely flat bottom hull design but I'm not completely convinced of its handling so I'm considering the microtrawler's box keel design. This also would make installing an inboard motor easier.

I've also decided my third boat will be the wyoming, another design from this book.

Thanks Jerryj98501 for recommending it.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 03:36 PM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
I'm trying to lay out the driveline components and wondering how would one position the propellor and rudder in a flat bottom hull? The plans call for an outboard in a well or just hung on the transom but I prefer an inboard installation. I thought a graupner jet drive would be a natural in this sort of boat but I'm worried about the intake sucking air because the hull will have less than 1/2" draft at the rear, maybe less. anyone have experience with something like this?

p.s. this boat is for leisurely cruising on a river so I don't want or expect high speed. I just finished my springer and she had her maiden voyage last sunday; this is the sort of performance I'm after.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 04:09 PM
GILL
United States, NJ, Hopatcong
Joined Aug 2005
2,561 Posts
The jet drive will work just fine. You could just angle the shaft through the hull with out any problems.
GILL RC is offline Find More Posts by GILL RC
Old Mar 16, 2011, 04:54 PM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
okay here is a stab at housing the driveline in the box keel, this is more complicated than the jet drive but has the added feature of semi scale realism.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 05:17 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
I saw this bulge on the bottom of the hull on several plans... I never figured that was where the motor went... cunning..

I wonder how effective this layout would be...might be worth trying on one of Glenn Guest's simple flat bottom designs
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Mar 17, 2011, 02:30 AM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
who is Glenn Guest? are there some flat bottom plans here on rcg?
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:07 AM
USA, WA, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2010
43 Posts
Kinda slow progress but here is a Glynn Guest flat bottom model I am building (not a tug but same idea)....http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1350753
Towing101 is offline Find More Posts by Towing101
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:14 PM
Olympia WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,027 Posts
You might want to install a flex drive like the fast electric drivers use. The motor would mount on the flat bottom and the flex drive would flex down into the box and out the back. That would be an easy fix, talk to a fast electric modeler and they might have some pictures of the assembly. When you get started, be sure and start a build thread as I always wanted to build one and this might get me off the workbench stool. What size are you thinking? Jerryj98501
jerryj98501 is offline Find More Posts by jerryj98501