2,314 Posts
Cover the fuse too.
Carnifax is offline Find More Posts by Carnifax
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2011, 12:27 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,314 Posts
Now take your Xacto with a fresh blade and cut out the areas that you connect control surfaces, etc.
Old May 17, 2011, 12:32 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,314 Posts
Now cover the control surfaces. Note the ends of the ailerons. There are some "teeth" laser cut into the ends for single aileron setups. Im going with dual ailerons so I trimmed them off and never looked back. I also cut out the area for the landing gear at the bottom of the fuse.
Old May 17, 2011, 12:42 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,314 Posts
Take the fuse and the horizontal stab (hs). Place the hs in place and then down flat on a nice true surface. Lightly trace where the fuse sits on the hs with a pencil. This should leave a mark where to remove covering. Its best to go slightly inboard if possible with your cut that way you arent left with an ugly "open" spot in the covering. Go very, very easy when cutting away the covering, use a surgeon's touch here. Dont cut the balsa and weaken it.
Old May 17, 2011, 12:49 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,314 Posts
Use whatever method you like to attach the tail surfaces evetually you find one that works for you. I tried employing the magnetic board here with battery weight. The key for me is to make sure everything is true and straight before glueing. I used Titebond here for the added cure time and strength.
Old May 17, 2011, 12:52 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,314 Posts
Nice and true.
Old May 17, 2011, 12:57 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,314 Posts
The vertical stab can sometimes be a little trickier. My method might be a little too "rube goldberg" for some, but it works for me.

If you havent done so, remember to remove the covering from the tabs of the vs that get inserted into the fuse.

My setup is essentially a piece of plastic with a notch out of it. Then I hold the plastic in place with clamps. All the while ensuring and checking it is straight and true. Again, using Titebond glue.
Old May 17, 2011, 01:02 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,314 Posts
Now slip the landing gear into the slot and attach with zip ties.
Old May 22, 2011, 12:36 PM
Joined Jul 2005
200 Posts
Looks Great! Thanks so much for the detailed build log, it will surely come in handy.
clodman13697 is offline Find More Posts by clodman13697
Old May 24, 2011, 12:41 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,314 Posts
Now you can see the many mounting options with this plane. The Himax will chuck up nicely.
Old May 24, 2011, 12:43 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,314 Posts
Now mount your servo rails. Most of the Radical line of planes balance pretty much the same. The instructions make a very clear point to balance your gear (battery, servo's, etc. BEFORE you start glueing everything in and permanently placing them. I balanced it all and never looked back.
Old May 24, 2011, 12:48 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,314 Posts
Next, hinge you elevator and ailerons. I am using the tried and true tape/covering method. You can use whatever works for you. In this scale I find the tape/covering hinge works just fine and Ive never had any of them fail. Take your time and pay attention to what your doing. Im not going to any great detail about it but if you want a more detailed explanation, just ask and I'll do my best to explain.
Old May 24, 2011, 12:52 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,314 Posts
Now add the wheels of your choice. I had to drill these Dubro wheels out a little bit them fit well with no slop. Slap wheel collars on and add a drop of loctite. You dont want your wheels coming off on your maiden flight now, do you? That would be embarassing.
Old May 24, 2011, 01:02 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,314 Posts
Now lets add the servos to the wing. Cut the covering away from the servo hole (if you are going with the 2 or 4 servo setup). Take the thread, tie it to the servo cable and careful pull it through the rib holes. Dont forget to center the servos at some point before final setup.
Old May 24, 2011, 01:07 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,314 Posts
Now lets add the control horns to the ailerons only. Nothing magical here except to note the fine laser cutting. These control horns are light and rock solid ply. There is a little ply keeper that locks the control horn in place. If you hit it with a little glue you can rest assured this is not going to fail.