2,315 Posts
The fuse sanded up.
Carnifax is offline Find More Posts by Carnifax
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2011, 11:18 PM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,315 Posts
Now we install a magnet in the 1/4" hole of the wing's trailing edge. Use epoxy and make sure the magnetic is flush with the bottom surface of the wing. I put the magnetic in place and placed the wing with the magnetic in place against the steel building board. I used a piece of wax paper between the wing and board to prevent stickage.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 11:36 PM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,315 Posts
Now find the latch plate. This looks like a fat legged "T" shape piece of heavy ply. Now glue the magnet that mates up with the magnet in the wing. Make sure you have the polarity correct before you glue. Glue the magnet flush with the surface using the same method you used to glue the wing magnet.

Once the magnet is glued and cured, slip it into the plate retainer and trial fit the wing. Once the wing is inserted, it should slide in and the magnets snap in place.

Once you are satisfied with the fit, slip the little latch plate retainer up from the bottom. I put a small piece of tape sticky side out to slide the retainer in palce. It must be inserted from the bottom. Once its in, glue it up.

After we cover the plane, we will glue a small piece of balsa behind the wing to retain the wing in flight. In the case of a less than gentle landing, the balsa block sheers away and protects the wing from damage.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 11:48 PM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,315 Posts
Now take the horizontal stab and insert the ply tail wheel hard point. This is the time to orient the piece according to your rudder hinge point. Depending on how which one you use (one is off center and one is centered), you can hinge it left, right or center. We will use the center for this one. Glue it up.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 11:52 PM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,315 Posts
I then trimmed the ailerons to match the contours of the wing line.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 11:59 PM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,315 Posts
Next I bevelled the control surfaces. I dont use any magical method. I place the surfaces on the edge of the table and use a straight sanding block. After a time you develope a feel for it and its not too difficult.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 12:02 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,315 Posts
Now give it an all over sanding before applying your choice of covering. I use 220 grit, then switch to 400 grit for a final sand. Its also good to do a thorough job of removing any sanding dust before covering. A shop vac does nicely.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 04:30 PM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,315 Posts
Included in the plans are a couple of steel wires for the landing gear. There are instructions included to the exact shape needed. Take your time on this step. While you probably dont need 1/10,000" tolerance, the closer you get to the right shape, the easier the following steps will be.
Last edited by Carnifax; May 16, 2011 at 11:48 PM.
Old May 16, 2011, 05:05 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
130 Posts
Dont quit on us now...you are so close to getting it finished.
Chevycruizer is offline Find More Posts by Chevycruizer
Old May 16, 2011, 11:53 PM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,315 Posts
Chevy,

Thanks for the push...

Ok, Now dont forget to add the center wing section that locks in nicely after the spar on the top of the wing.
Old May 16, 2011, 11:55 PM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,315 Posts
There are a couple of cross grain stiffeners that dovetail into the end of the fuse. Glue these in.
Old May 17, 2011, 12:02 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,315 Posts
Now take the tail landing gear, bend per instructions and assemble the tail section. You will see how it fits together and how you are going to have to bend it for the rudder.
Old May 17, 2011, 12:10 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,315 Posts
The tail landing wire is bent to shape with the rudder. Next I slap on some balsa filler. This will be no hangar queen but its worth the effort to make it look nice.
Old May 17, 2011, 12:19 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,315 Posts
Once you are satisfied with the sanding, take the time to remove the sanding dust. I chose to cover the wing first. Use your favorite covering methods here. Some people really dont like covering but it doesnt bother me too much.

For the wing, we are going to have a blue stripe and Ill figure out some other graphics too but for now, lets go red and blue.

Obviously you have decided which servo configuration you want but bear this in mind before you cover (i.e. if you need servo extensions, etc.). To that end, you will want to thread a little string through the ribs to draw your servo wire through. Youll be glad you did before you cover.
Last edited by Carnifax; May 24, 2011 at 12:54 AM.
Old May 17, 2011, 12:22 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,315 Posts
Like magic, the top of the wing is done.