HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:15 PM
Rapid Disasembly Expert
Chatham, NJ USA
Joined Jun 2000
216 Posts
I'm running a 2212 as well with an 8 x 4 APC prop and 3S 1600 pack....the power is more than adequate for my flying style, i.e. a few loops, barrel rolls and then relaxed flight at 50% throttle. With a steady breeze you can land it into the wind like a helicopter......it'll stop dead in mid-air and then you can just drop it down......my 767-pilot buddy couldn't believe it when he saw it.
ArtJ is offline Find More Posts by ArtJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:37 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,307 Posts
Snap, sharp looking bird. I lve the graphics. Any chance you could snap a few more pics? Great job and I hope you enjoy it.
Carnifax is offline Find More Posts by Carnifax
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:24 PM
To many planes...no way
Joined Feb 2011
31 Posts
Flew like a charm!

Maiden flew today, Great flyer! Flew it at a football field, took off perfect, only needed to add a few clicks of up elevator. I'm using a 9.5 slow prop and an 3s 1300mah battery, still is very fast, nice... Loops and rolls are smooth, even added flaperons to slow it down for landing, landed at a fast walking speed. Very happy flyer!
SnapshotRCFlyer is offline Find More Posts by SnapshotRCFlyer
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:36 PM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,307 Posts
Snap, thanks for the flight report. This has quickly become my everyday plane. Glad to hear it flies so nice. That looks great too.

Dan
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:50 PM
Rapid Disasembly Expert
Chatham, NJ USA
Joined Jun 2000
216 Posts
Hey Snap......I'm interested to know where your battery is....even with the outboard 2212 I had to stick the battery way up in the nose for balance....did you find a similar situation? Art.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 02:42 PM
To many planes...no way
Joined Feb 2011
31 Posts
Yes I had to place the battery all the way to the front of the fuse, balanced perfect after doing so, I was happy not having to add any ballast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJ View Post
Hey Snap......I'm interested to know where your battery is....even with the outboard 2212 I had to stick the battery way up in the nose for balance....did you find a similar situation? Art.
SnapshotRCFlyer is offline Find More Posts by SnapshotRCFlyer
Old Jan 23, 2012, 02:56 PM
Rapid Disasembly Expert
Chatham, NJ USA
Joined Jun 2000
216 Posts
Yes.....mine balanced perfectly as well....slightly nose heavy which is how I like it anyway. I had to cut out some of the firewall supports inside to make room for the battery...also taped a small piece of plywood to the front of the battery so it wouldn't get mauled by the 256 bolts and nylocs up front. Now I need to figure out how to mount a Hero camera to the airplane....my old $8 key chain cam doesn't do the plane justice.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 05:03 PM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,307 Posts
Mine balances with the batt all the way fwd too. I fly either a 1500 or 1800. It will fly with a 2100 but its more sluggish and heavy (like me after thanksgiving).

I also placed a little shim behind the motor so the batt doesnt get punctured by the firewall motor mounts.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:49 PM
Rapid Disasembly Expert
Chatham, NJ USA
Joined Jun 2000
216 Posts
Dan...have you tried skis on the S400 yet? I'm thinking it would be a lot of fun in the snow.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:57 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,307 Posts
Art, I was just finishing up a pair of skis for a friend and was thinking it would be cool on this plane. One of the weird things though is that this winter has been unusual weather wise. Very little snow to speak of and several days at 50+. However the remain strong. Right now I have the stick400 in the shop kicking around adding flaps. Do you have flaps on yours?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 08:05 AM
Rapid Disasembly Expert
Chatham, NJ USA
Joined Jun 2000
216 Posts
Same here Dan...we had a lot of snow last weekend but it's 50 degrees today so most of it is already gone....I'm still going to consider skis for the next round of snow.
I don't have flaps but I experimented with flaperons like Snap did....I need to get some time to fine-tune the setup.....my initial attempt was only partly successful because I really didn't have time to properly engage the function....too much servo strain, etc, etc. I'll give that one another attempt as well when I get a spare hour to play with......work has really been getting in the way lately
Old Jan 31, 2012, 04:35 PM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,307 Posts
Art, you got me thinking about this plane. I had to do a little rehab from a little gravity test this summer. The wing seperated from the fuse and I never got around to fixing it until last night. I never was able to determine the root cause.

I was in straight and level flight when the fuse took leave of the wing. I eliminated all else except the wing latch. So the lesson learned is make sure your wing connection is tight and positive. i think any slop may result in a wing/fuse connection failure.

The damage was suprisingly minimal considering the fuse went nose in from around 80 feet, the wing of course simply fluttered down.

The fuse splintered lengthwise and the firewall broke. So reglued the fuse, replaced the firewall, recovered and ready to rock and roll.

Nice day today (60 degrees!) but windy, windy.

Tomorrow says rain early but tapering off in the pm. I'll toss the stick on the car and hopefully sneak a lunchtime flight in.

Dan
Old Jan 31, 2012, 06:02 PM
Rapid Disasembly Expert
Chatham, NJ USA
Joined Jun 2000
216 Posts
Dan...I remember the incident well....that's what spurred me to install the sacrificial block, otherwise I would have been out there tempting fate to the probabilistic tune of 100%...so I owe you one! Let me know how the second maiden goes...this airplane is really too nice to leave on the scrap heap. I usually fly small stuff (less than 30" due to ever decreasing space in NJ) but I've really enjoyed the 400 because its a fast plane that can be flown slowly...pretty unique I think.
It sounds like our weather is exactly the same as yours...next good lunchtime out looks like Thursday....I'll try to get the camera on again if the winds are below 10 MPH.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:10 PM
Rapid Disasembly Expert
Chatham, NJ USA
Joined Jun 2000
216 Posts
Finally got out today Dan....a bit chilly with zero wind....had a great flight but the threaded portion of the prop spinner shaft snapped in half on a nose-over landing...it's always something.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 02:10 PM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,307 Posts
Art, you got me beat. I had everthing ready to go but forgot to charge the Tx (of course). Sorry about the motor. Do you have an extra shaft?