SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 17, 2011, 04:15 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,427 Posts
Wake up call ??? Isn't the whole idea to enjoy yourself ???

Sounds like youu've been doing a good job of it. Keep it up !!!
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:37 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,212 Posts
Well.. if anyone's still interested.. I'm about ready to embark on covering the Dazzler. Life has been such that I've not had a chance to even remotely finish this plane.. but I've now got a little block of time I think I can give it a go, and hopefully come out with a complete RTF plane.

As I was getting ready for final stage before covering I noticed I hadn't done a thing with the push-rod exits.. IE the plastic tube that the wire travels in simply glues to the bulkhead/fuse side, and exits the lower tail at the rear. Theres really not any instructs in this kit of how to deal with other then "cut the excess off".. but heres' what I did..

Pic. #1. The outer-rod in its raw form.

Pic. #2. Using 5min epoxy, and Micro-Balloons, I made the simple resin/paste/putty and spooned it around the tube/exit, making sure the paste/resin gets built up just enough to be sanded flush with the fuse..

Pic. #3. The finished exit/guide area, decently sanded, and should look fine once film is applied, and finished... close enough for fun-fly anyway.

After this I'm going to give the whole air-frame a final sand. Interestingly theres certain parts of the plane that are specifically square.. example is they want the trailing edges of the ailerons square. As well as some of this plane is also round.. I've basically followed that, only rounding what's called for in the plans/instructs, and leaving other things very square... rounding just enough to take make a dull-corner(for lack of better term).
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Last edited by DGrant; Jan 21, 2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:46 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,427 Posts
I'm still interested.

You finished the pushrod exits the same way that I do.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:00 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,212 Posts
Hello there Tom! Thanks for stopping in. Its nice to be back working on this project, and hopefully finishing it completely.

I'm actually trying out my newly remodeled "Plane Room".. of which I've torn out wall-paper, fixtures, outlets, etc.. So now I've got a new "Man-Cave" sort-of. I'll throw a few pics up..

To "Da Plane".. yep.. I've not found a better way to deal with those push-rod exits.. at least for this type of app... simple is best..and it took all of 5minutes time to do it like that...

The first few pics are of my cave... At the left side of my desk is where I've got my glass set-up for cutting my Monokote..and I'm just using the cradle set-up you see in "The Wall" pic to work on/with. Its really cozy..especially today, as it rained all day.

The last pic is after I'd blown the airframe off with the compressor, its ready-to-cover at this point, I thought I'd throw it on the scale.. this is just the wood(except for a tail-wheel-wire).. but that actually reads 20.8 oz.'s.

That doesn't sound too bad at all.. I can't wait to see what it does with the .46... so .. on to a little covering.. its getting a tad late on me here.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:31 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,212 Posts
Elevator bottom covering..

Not quite rocket science here.. Simply cut a little oversize, leaving enough to grab if needed.. without going overboard. I try to keep my oversize cuts to a minimum...only leaving what's needed to grab/pull. This makes it easy to judge these kinds of peices.

Pic. #1 Cutting the material to working size. I decided to cover both halves at once, as it made no sense to cut 2 seperate peices here...there was plenty left at center/center to get the job done.

Pic. #2. I smooth the covering as much as I can by hand(you might be surprised how much that helps).. then I start lightly with the iron just hot enough to tack it.. I get it all tacked, get the edge where I want them.. I then like to finish by cutting small tabs in strategic places..and when the last flap goes down, its usually very contoured and clean. I do turn up the heat on the iron as the covering needs to "mold" to the shape of the peice its being applied too. So..yeah..corners/edges are pretty hot.

Pic. #3. Walla.. Something finally covered... albeit small .. haha. Some progress is better then none.

Something I've been pondering though.. I've already cut the hinge-slots.. which after covering will be virtually undetectable..so I'm in somewhat of a dilemma.. The best I can do is use the "uncovered" surfaces to match up, and find my hinge-slots..then simply melt the film away with a soldering iron.. Hinge slots are a Catch22 though(especially CA hinge slots).. if I cut them before covering.. the covering will hide the.. if I cut them after covering.. Its a bit harder getting them centered on the bevels.. Oh well.. we'll cross that ocean when we come to it.

Gotta run.. taking wifey out for dessert.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined Aug 2010
258 Posts
Dynaflight?

What's in the Dynaflight box?
JohnSH is offline Find More Posts by JohnSH
Old Jan 22, 2012, 02:52 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSH View Post
What's in the Dynaflight box?
Hi there John. I had to ponder your question for a minute.. haha.. as I looked back at the last few pics I got it...

That would be my DynaFlite .60size FunScale Mustang. One of my future builds. I owned 3 of the .40size, and they were just a hoot.. I ran across this kit over last summer, along with several other classics.. couldn't pass them up. I figure with a kit like this.. one can't loose, they're near collector status I think.. and I'll think hard before I build it.. (probably not too hard.. just sayin').. haha..

Glad you stopped in..

I'm going on to the bottom of the ailerons tonight... so far I'm only using trans. blue...of which the bottom wing/tail surfaces will be transparent. I've seen the transparents as more traditional for the bottom of "fun-flyers", and I like it..

As far as the overall scheme.. I somewhat like the stock scheme, although I could easily copy it.. I'm going to change it up a bit.. I don't want it mistaken for an ARF... but my scheme might be close to it by the time I'm done.

One thing I like on the stock scheme is the checker-board patterns, and how they used them on the top of the wing.. so that will be used... anyways..

I'll be back later..

Here's a pic of that 'Stang.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined Aug 2010
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrant View Post
Hi there John. I had to ponder your question for a minute.. haha.. as I looked back at the last few pics I got it...

That would be my DynaFlite .60size FunScale Mustang....
Cool I just acquired a Dynaflight 1/4 scale FlyBaby kit the hard way, by raiding the Great Planes spare parts inventory. Turned out that they had enough parts on their shelves to stock a nearly complete kit. That will be my next build.
JohnSH is offline Find More Posts by JohnSH
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:35 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSH View Post
Cool I just acquired a Dynaflight 1/4 scale FlyBaby kit the hard way, by raiding the Great Planes spare parts inventory. Turned out that they had enough parts on their shelves to stock a nearly complete kit. That will be my next build.
Thats another classic... very nice aircraft. Are you going to do any kind of build thread on it? Yes.. thats the hardest way to get a discontinued kit I'll say.. I would imagine we'd all be surprised if we simply searched components of old aircraft.. and the discontinued stuff. I even check the TowerHobbies Scratch-n-Dent about once a year...
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:44 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,212 Posts
Here's the ailerons and elevator bottoms.. The top will be a white base.. I'm going to have to do the top of these before I get to the other half, as I have to open up the hinge slots one half at a time.

If I cover both halves all up.. the hinge slots will be lost forever(not really but..it would be much harder to locate them)..

Also... with the top being white.. I do hope to get a decent "demarkation" line.. I sometimes will do a "false edge" which makes for a perfect line color to color.. some of this I'll just free-hand too.. so wish me luck..

So its time to cool the iron, clean it up a bit for the white covering.. and get 'er done.

Here's a few pics..
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:23 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,212 Posts
Murphy strikes... (sort of..).

Just as I'm getting rolling again on this project... a few days of the flu knocked me on my butt, and set me back a bit..

Last post I was literally going to let the iron cool(which I did), clean it(which I did).. then heat 'er on up again for some more covering fun(which it didn't)

The iron apparently died(Coverite 21stCentury iron)..as it just sat there cold..the indicator said it was supposed to be heating.. but it surely wasn't..

I figured I'd trot on down to my LHS(HobbyTown) and pick up a new one.. but they didn't have the Coverite brand.... so rather then spend $20 on an iron that I didn't want.. I figured I'd give the old clothes iron a try... until I can order one(which I've done...)

Its been.. oh... about 25yrs since I'd used a clothes iron(I was young and broke then, used what I had on hand)... but I was very successful with it then.. so I'm sure it will work fine now(not for the faint or heart...it took me a while to learn back then)...

So the first photo is the iron I'm now using.. haha.. I've got to say the results are actually very good. I like the area it has... and for this kind of work, where most things are flat, with only slight curves/corners..

I'd forgotten how much ground a larger iron can cover.. so it actually made these surfaces a piece of cake.. and got them done in short order.. very very short order.. I'll probably just stick with the bigger iron for a while and see how she goes... It actually has a great surface.

The following 3 pics are the results of using said iron. Again the top is white, with the bottom being the trans blue. The demarkation line(where colors meet) was cut free-hand with scissors.. and this was/is an area that sometimes is a pain to get decent where you have different colors top-to-bottom... I was fortunate it worked OK this time..still have a few more areas to go with that issue though..

So thats about all the update I have right now.. It is coming along slowly, but at least its coming along.... I'll be getting back to this about Sunday or so.. Have a great weekend.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 07:30 AM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
832 Posts
Looks good! Keep that flu up north though!

I have the top filte iron and it seems I have to have it almost cranked up all the way to do anything. Of course I do have a bootie on it so maybe that plays a factor.

It will look nice when you are done. Think the colors will look great.

Robert
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:08 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,212 Posts
Good afternoon! I've got a bit more done. I'm finding the full size iron does slow things down a bit. Its quite a bit heavier, so alot of care must be taken as it can "dent" balsa very easily.. so far, so good though.. Its probably a good thing I'm not known for "fast" too.

So, I've got the rudder covered at this point, obvious by the first pic.

After that final control surface, I had to identify the hinge-slot position. So in pic 2, I simply lined the surface up with the existing/installed hinges.

Pic 3: A small dot with my "Sharpie" on each side of the hinge made easy work of finding the slots. A quick slit with the X-Acto found each slot beneath.

Pic 4: All hinges in thier slots on the control surface. Ready to go basically.

In giving the hinging issue some thought, I'm still not sure which way I like.. Slotting before covering... or ... Slotting after covering.... its one of those personal preferences too, as it will work either way.

As I think about it though.. the slots/hinges made it possible to flat-sand the tail(horizontal/vertical stabs, elevator/rudder)surfaces all at once.. so they're very flat and true.

The slots were there before the surface was beveled. I've slotted bevels before.. its not my favorite thing..and quite frankly its tricky hitting that bevel peak..but by slotting first, it was perfect.

The drawback is when you have to keep track of the slots and re-slit them after covering.. that takes a little time(not that I'm in a hurry..remember..I'm a bit slow anyway.. haha)..

These are just some random thoughts I've had through this process.. any comments out there amongst all the crickets..?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:15 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,212 Posts
Horizontal stab bottom

The large iron makes quick work of flat areas. I'm keeping it around, even after my new iron gets here(which should be in a few days).
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:40 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
832 Posts
I would rather slot them first and try to find later. I can imagine all the kind of mess I would make trying the other way.

Robert
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting