HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:19 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,569 Posts
Beiing an impatient sort of guy, I usually do my epoxy at the end of a building session. I've learned that I don't give it enough time, if I'm out in the shop, "watching" it cure.

I'm with ya, on the gluing in of the blind nuts. It doesn't take much time, and provides piece of mind.

After getting over my fear of building fuselages, I'm starting to enjoy the process. Even joining the halves is fun, now. My stick and twig Dallaire Sportster, is a good example. All that cutting and fitting proved to be relaxing.

The storm is progressing faster than predicted. The warning doesn't start until 6:00 PM. Latest radar shows that it is almost here.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2011, 02:51 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,249 Posts
Good morning gents... So far, so good here.. I hope those in "weather challenged" parts of the country fare well through the storms..Cali is getting drenched this week. Highways caving, trees falling, boulders coming off of mountains..stuff like that...

Tom, thats some beautiful work, yes I can tell alot of relaxation there too...really I totally understand. ...and as time goes on, I too find certain steps challenging, and rewarding...way moreso then in years past. I can't even remember the last balsa based plane I built that wasn't an ARF. I do find myself taking alot more time in certain areas, and putting alot more thought into each big step...I just can't believe it works sometimes..

I'm finding the designs and engineering very ingenious on these frames..actually I'm refinding it, and after so many years I think I'm having a whole new appreciation for it, and actually having the skills to create it is something I don't take for granted.. I've actually learned so much from this hobby, with so much more to learn its pretty exciting stuff when I think about it.

Pic #1. After the glue dried on the landing gear plate, ready for the firewall.

Pic #2. Firewall, clamped for the night. You can't have too many clamps. I'm not saying use them all at the same time. If your a builder though, you simply can't have to many. Different types, different sizes, you can even get some very decent stuff at the DollarStore that work great for this hobby...clamps clamps clamps..

A little curve-ball...and the first real mistake on my part. The engine mount I drilled for is one size bigger then the mount on the plan. I don't know how I missed it, as I had compared it many times.. thing is.. it still fit.

The mount on the plan is a .20-.48size.. the mount I'm using is the .40-.70size. The overall diminsion are only a fraction different really.

The biggest diff though is, the mount I used will accomodate 6/32 screws, whereas the smaller mount will only accomodate 4/40. Beam is same size on both mounts with the bigger mount beams being longer. I will cut the beams to my liking anyway, more on that later though... so my mistake really was to my advantage.. The engine is a .46 that's a pretty strong runner too.... so I believe I dodged a bullet.
DGrant is online now Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Mar 22, 2011, 07:16 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,249 Posts
More fuselage...

Epoxy is drying much better today, as is everything here until the next storm tonight...

Pic #1. This is what I got up to this morning... a nice dry firewall, with glue in seemingly all the right places. Fuselage upside down, the front bottom looks stout also. Its actually a quite beefy looking nose, and gaining weight...hmmm..

Pic #2. I threw some sheeting on the fuselage bottom. I rough cut it on the sides at this point with care taken on the joints, making sure they're true.

Pic #3. The bottom sheeting after block sanding. Using my 11" bar sander it makes this very easy. Also easy to go too far, so I don't get carried away, a few swipes takes a mile off, then gentle sanding as it gets close.

Pic #4. The inside of the tank compartment, land-gear-plate. Its looking very beefy...not kidding... this is built per plans and book though...

Now I did it.. I burnt up my Dremel!! well..no smoke really, I think the gear-box in it just gave out after 25yrs..as the motor just freely turns as the bit is freely not spinning. Might be time.. I've sent it in a few times for repair already..and might again.. but I think its time.

I was just getting to the triangle stock behind the firewall. Which is again pretty stout material. I've got to realize..I'm installing the heaviest components on this plane right now..nothing will be any heavier framewise that is...

With the forces that it will induce(I'm hoping), something has to be strong enough..and I'm thinking its just strong enough...I am seeing a few weak areas.. and they're probably the same areas that are inherant with this type of design...but I'll mention those later.. I'm going Dremel shopping.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 06:54 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,569 Posts
One Dremel in 25 years ? I've probably gone through 5-6 in that time. Maybe more. LOL

The fuselage is looking good.

No building for me, today. I have 6" of snow to clear from my drive.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 12:23 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
One Dremel in 25 years ? I've probably gone through 5-6 in that time. Maybe more. LOL

The fuselage is looking good.

No building for me, today. I have 6" of snow to clear from my drive.
Good Morning!

Thanks Tom, the fuse is pretty straight I think. Even though the book/plans don't call for it, I'm not going to be able to resist putting just a few ribbons of fiberglass on those sides..right where fuse/firewall meet. I'm talking about 1/2" or so wide(lapping 1/4" each side, maybe 3/8" on fuse). It is a decently powerful engine I'm going to use, actually overpowered by thier specs.

As it's designed, the firewall is held essentially only by 3 sides. The top is merely a hatch(it does lend slightly to stucture, not much though). The added weight would be negligible, by the time I sand it down. Any thoughts here..?

I've got my money's worth out of that Dremel for sure...we've been looking at them anyway for a while... The newer Dremels have that "ergonomic" feel, or something weird..I don't know..I've got an oldie.. I'm sure I'll like a newer one alot once I use it a few times... I've got to run some errands at the same time I get my Dremel, so I won't be getting any real building in today either... hopefully I can get that done before our next storm hits. Watch for falling trees in Cali.. they're falling everywhere due to saturation..its crazy in Cali right now..

I've been very fortunate for the last few weeks to spend a considerable time building, and loving every minute. The days just FLY by(punn intended), and now there's some other "life" things that are coming up that are really cool too, so I'll be moving slowly on this until next week or so, then I'll have another big block of time... at least that's what I'm thinkin.. have a great day ya'all.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 07:53 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,569 Posts
I seem to wear out the bearings, quite frequently. Next time, I plan to purchase a less expensive rotary tool.

Sun is out today.................@ 16F. LOL I need to clean up the remainder of yesterday's snow storm. Looks like we ended up with 9-10 inches.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 01:24 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
Being a slow builder i dont use my dremel very much . I dont like it when the tool slips or blades shattter and fly around. I carve or sand every thing by hand as not to mess up the build. I have 2 dremels one is a chargeble one and the other plugs in but i have not used either in a couple years. Here is one my builds iam getting ready to cover,i just fiberglassed the bottom and tip floats. the wing is 99inches and fuse is 6ftand 4 electrict motors for the wing. I had a os 40 fp in my dazzler and you are spot on with a strong 46 because my cheap 40 was not enough for fun stuff. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Mar 24, 2011, 01:32 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,569 Posts
Lookin' pretty good, there, cracksmeup.

I live near a small lake ( Michigan) where you are welcome to fly her.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 06:56 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
I have been only flying off of water for the last ten years here in IL .I go to around 9 or10 water funflys during the summer in IL and IN .I have always wanted to make a big water fun fly in mich but i never had the time .I retire very soon and i will make it up to see you guys soon thanks for the offer. joe
Old Mar 26, 2011, 06:44 PM
Love To Fly Anything!!
United States, NY, Conklin
Joined Mar 2011
92 Posts
very nice job great tips Thanks
tomupstateny is offline Find More Posts by tomupstateny
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:49 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,249 Posts
Good evening guys... I'm back for a bit...with a new Dremel. I got the 4000 model, which was definately a step up from what I had. Its like a Dremel on steroids. It's a great tool, the only thing that kind of bugged me is my old chuck won't fit correctly on the new Dremel...so I have to pick up a new chuck. The newer chucks are slightly different from the old ones.

tomupstateny and everyone else, thanks a bunch for the compliments and following...I'm plugging along slowly but surely. Enjoying every minute though...and now its taking a little more shape.

The fuselage was a bit more time consuming then I thought it would be, as each component seems to take just a tad longer. The tail being sticks was a snap, the wing took a tad longer but there's more pieces and area, the fuselage though is what I thought would be a breeze timewise..but its taken a bit too.. I'm almost there though.. lets see where I left off...

Pic #1. The inside firewall triangle stock. I cut clearance for the blind-nuts also. Simple Dremel task, just don't go too far, or you'll be making another one.. I had to remake one of the gussets.. oh well.

Pic #2. I don't know if this helped or not..it really didn't come out like I wanted, but it'll do.. just a piece of glass over that corner..more for my piece of mind I think, but I had a plane years ago that the firewall let loose right on those sides. So this finishes the firewall/tank area except for finish sand, and tidying it up, and then throw some clear dope on/around it.

Pic #3. Back to the wing, lead-edge shaping. The rib-looking piece is the actual plug that came out of the fuselage. I matched that up to the wing and traced the leading-edge shape to the LE stock. I also marked centers at the tips, and lightly scribed a center-line the whole span on the LE.

Pic #4. Using my "tool of the day" MasterAirscrew" plainer, I slowly started shaving. The biggest issue on this step is where to grip this wing. I was careful so I didn't crush the thin sheeting. Once I was comfy on gripping the ass'ly, this progress in the pic only took about 5 minutes, so this tool works pretty well.

Pic #5. This is about 30 minutes or so of whittling with the plainer, its getting there, and all sides have been hit with the plainer. I prefer to plain it in steps. No hurries, as I don't want to go to deep. I'd rather have some sanding to do and get it right, then try to do it all with a blade and take too much off. Also note, the scribe on the LE center is visible in this pic. Thats also a sanding guage, I sand right down to it, and once that line disappears thats it...that way I know, and stand to get it much truer, so far, so good as its about 60% done at this point I'd say. Will whittle some more tomorrow.

Pic #6. The "tool of the day". MasterAirscrew(Windsor manufacturing) makes these. They are plastic, much the same material that MasterAirscrew props are made of. They have an adjustable blade that last a looong time, and will do many different types of stock..and it weighs nothing.. its very light, which lends itself to very light plaining, or with some pressure you can take a pretty large swipe as well, also depending on the blade setting. ,

Everyone have a great week now... the storms are clearing here too, so I might get to go fly..so if I'm not posting to this, I went flying, but I'll be back.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 06:44 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,569 Posts
Looking good !!!

You have minimal room for triangle stock, so the glass was a good idea.

Thos Master Airscrew wood planes are great tools. I've been using mine for nearly 20 years. Couldn't do without it.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:18 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,249 Posts
Good morning... Thanks Tom..I needed that affirmation!.. as I was thinking right on the same line as you there. I didn't help the situation when I accidently picked out the wrong engine mount. The hole spacing was a tad wider on my mount... probably 3/32" or more wider, which is why I dremeled the tri-stock for blind-nut clearance..which now is a piece of cake.

I believe its better off with a nice tight, flat seat for the nuts... and I can easily "toothpick" some epoxy to glue them in forever. ....also I think the fiberglass more then made up for the area I dremeled. I'm hoping it lasts years..thats the idea anyways... as long as my thumbs can stay as smart as my brain that is..

I'm honestly not going to overkill this project though, I've got other ones lined up that I can easily overkill... haha.. but this seems like a very nicely designed frame, that really needs very little if any mods.. and some things I've done and have planned are strictly for my practice and learning...

I've been flying this plane on the RealFlight sim.. wow.. its a crazy flyin plane.. I've got the sim doing things I've NEVER done.. and if this plane is even close to the sim it will be amazing....

Have a great day.. I'm off to whittle a wing some more...
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:24 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,249 Posts
... PS.. 10-4 on that plainer!!! I've used mine quite a while also, and I wouldn't approach a procedure like this without it. There's a few others out there that do work..IE Stanley, Craftsman, etc.. but the MA version seems much better, in that its definately not as heavy, and makes it easy to shave very lightlly when needed.. its just got a better touch.. I think you'll know what I mean.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:29 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
I have used my ma plainer for 15 years and i have a balsa stripper for making my own sticks also, most store bought sticks are made with very light balsa and break real easy . The cost of the sticks are high compared to me buying my own sheet balsa and making my own. It has been tools i will never be with out. your dazzler is looking great . joe