SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 09, 2011, 09:07 AM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
Build Log
Twisted Hobbys - Telink 43" SU 29 - Build, Fly, Vid

The Telink Yak that I have is so outstanding that I have to have a go at the SU29. It's on order with Twisted. Stand by for more!
---

First night of the build:

This thing is very easy to construct. On this build I have decided to use welders on everything so that this plane will be very crash proof and last a long time! Even with having to wait for each half to dry before gluing together this plane goes together fast!

The primary difference between this and the Yak is how the fuselage is braced. In the Yak it uses fiber rods that you need to cut in similar to the wings. However, with the Su29 it has a carbon tube that is sandwiched in the fuselage. We will see which is stronger but my money is on the carbon tube!

I'm excited to fly this thing! It looks awesome!
---

Second night of build:

Well, in a couple hours of work this evening, I finished up the airframe, mounted the servos and have it ready for the motor and ESC. I was in no hurry to finish because I could not find the right prop (10/4.7 APC) at the LHS and it would have had to wait anyway. I'll get the right prop and have it in the air this weekend.

It is such an easy plane to build! Goes together quick, even while using welders. I think hot glue would be a good, faster, alternative in some of the steps but I wanted to build this plane with welders only to compare it to the Yak 55 that I did using UHU, Welders and hot glue.
---

Day 3:

Wasn't much left to do to get it ready. Just soldered up the motor and ESC, put on the tail skid, cut the battery slot and setup the radio.

I am very happy with my decision to use welders on this plane. Now that it is complete it looks great and is very stiff yet flexible. In places like the gear struts and fuse half joints you can really tell the quality of the glue because the joints are very strong but when you pinch the foam around the joints you can't feel a brittle line of glue. it is very supple but strong.

I am very impressed with this plane. The build was neat but once this thing is together it looks freaking awesome! I am very happy with this plane and am happy to have it on my wall and part of my fleet.

I hovered and harriered it around the back yard today and I can tell this thing has some serious potential! I will get some more stick time on it tomorrow!
---

First flights - This thing is awesome! Took it to the field and ran 4 packs through it this afternoon and I am extremely happy with how it flies. I can't think of many planes that have as good of a rudder response and feel as this one does! Snakes, Knife Edge Loops and 3D are a real pleasure because of how nicely the rudder works on this plane. You don't get any bucking and complaining when you really kick over the rudder.

In comparison with the Yak, I'd say that the SU is more precise, more stable (which is tough to believe) and has better control authority on the elevator and rudder. I also kind of like the construction methods in the SU better (see the build and use of carbon tube). I actually think the gear struts act like canards in flight and that improves 3D and high alpha, especially rolling 3D type stuff. Looks wise I also think the gear on the SU make it look a little better but it is a minor thing.

On the con side, I think the Yak handles the wind better because it is a little less draggy in the fuse and gear area. The Yak is a little more mild in the controlability arena. So, if you are a 3D novice the Yak might be slightly better suited for you but again it is a minor difference.

All in all, two great planes!! I am very happy to have both of them! If I had to go back and pick one over the other it would be a very tough choice!

More to come!
---

See build notes in the pics below.
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Last edited by hercdriver7777; Sep 19, 2011 at 07:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2011, 09:51 AM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,708 Posts
Cool. I don't think you will be disappointed. Same quality as the Yak. Should maiden mine this weekend depending upon the weather.
stevelmaa is offline Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Old Mar 13, 2011, 02:03 PM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
The package has arrived. The build will start Monday night!
Old Mar 14, 2011, 06:36 PM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
First update posted.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:16 PM
memphis
Joined Jan 2003
434 Posts
thanks for the build thread once again, I'm thinking about getting one soon
TERMAGATOR is offline Find More Posts by TERMAGATOR
Old Mar 15, 2011, 06:34 AM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
Subscribed!!

Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0
Old Mar 15, 2011, 06:20 PM
Progress with the process...
NE Alabama
Joined Feb 2011
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TERMAGATOR View Post
thanks for the build thread once again, I'm thinking about getting one soon
+1

TERMAGATOR, would be awesome to see a review/comparison for the Bouncer, XII, and SU29.

M3ATpl0w is offline Find More Posts by M3ATpl0w
Last edited by M3ATpl0w; Mar 15, 2011 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Brain Spazm
Old Mar 15, 2011, 07:49 PM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
2nd night build log updated.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 08:06 PM
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2008
4,233 Posts
Love your builds Herc, you have some serious talents in the shop and at the field and it shows. Wow built with all Welder's nice, I give you mad props for that! This is one sick bird!
Twisted Realm is offline Find More Posts by Twisted Realm
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Twisted Realm; Nov 10, 2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 08:47 PM
memphis
Joined Jan 2003
434 Posts
where are you guys buying the welders glue?, can you pick that up at Lowes?
TERMAGATOR is offline Find More Posts by TERMAGATOR
Old Mar 15, 2011, 08:55 PM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
Yep, that's where I get mine. If you can't find it, ask. It's there somewhere.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 08:57 AM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
I get my Welders from Twisted Hobbys, saves me a trip to Lowes, considering I have to cross a bridge that costs 5 bucks.
http://shop.twistedhobbys.com/Welder...-00WELDERS.htm
Old Mar 16, 2011, 09:03 AM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,203 Posts
I'm going to purchase a TLink soon but can't decide between the Yak and Su 29. Can someone that's flown both post how they compare to each other? Specifically flight characteristics.

MLT
MLT67 is offline Find More Posts by MLT67
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:24 AM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
MLT hope this helps, this is straight from the designer himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dBuster View Post

The SU29 was the result of what the majority of pilots want in there TELINK's ,as well I switch my big Krill YAK55M to a SU29

The change in the fus area is obvious - you got much of from it,a lot more! so it does KF better and flying slower and precise is much easier , as well the SU29 roll just a bit faster then the yak .

the main big change is how we stiffen the Fuselage, we add single , big carbon rod inside of the fuselage! so you can't see it and its stiff ! very stiff!
so you got the look and performance

I think that , if you like a 3D airplane that can be joy to have fun with - take the YAK55M

If you looking for airplane that will be good in precision flying - take the SU29

please know that both are just great airplanes and they will be easy and fun to fly, and agian its all epp.

Open YouTube and just search for "Telink" , it will be easy for you to decide!

building takes about 3 hours , but i build mine on a about 5 hours.. just take it slowly and build stright and strong using ONLY CA and accelerator - no other glue is needed !

Hope this helps , let me know if you want to know any other info !

Best regards guys ,
Ido
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:42 AM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
I will elaborate on that after I have flown both planes. Love the Yak though.