HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2011, 06:39 AM
Pro beginner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
762 Posts
Someone a while back wanted all my 11x settings for the mcpx so here they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meebo View Post
Could you imagine me being on full rates then slamming the stick down going full negative pitch it would be a disaster
Meebo, the pitch curve below for upright flight might be useful.

JR 11x ZERO settings for MCPX
  • Flight Mode 1 - Upright flight
  • Flight Mode 2 - 3D flight V-curve
  • Flight Mode 3 - 3D flight flat 100% curve

D
  • ual Rate Mode 1 - low rates (except rudder)
  • Dual Rate Mode 2 - High rates, 45% expo (except Rudder)
  • Dual Rate Mode 3 - High rates, 30% expo (except Rudder)

Limit adjust - default at 150%

Travel adjust - as per DX8 settings in manual

Aileron Dual Rates (actually triple rates since P0,P1 and P2 are used)

Elevator Triple Rates (actually triple rates since P0,P1 and P2 are used)

Rudder rates - all the same

Throttle curve - Flight Mode 1

Pitch curve - Flight Mode 1

Throttle curve - Flight Mode 2

Pitch curve - Flight Mode 2

Throttle curve - Flight Mode 3

Pitch curve - Flight Mode 3
rchelijc is online now Find More Posts by rchelijc
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2011, 06:41 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,543 Posts
So what are the main/common issues with this heli?

Bearings
Lack of locktite

????
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Mar 15, 2011, 06:52 AM
Joined Mar 2011
3 Posts
mcpx blades flieing off

it must be mentioned again that there is a serious defect with the mcpx with the blades coming off. i bought one three days ago and as soon as i put a little power to it one balde came flieing off. took it back to the hobby shop and they replaced it with another one. well, it happened with the second one too. taking it back today. i doubt if they will take this one back but everyone should know about this problem.
minorcan is offline Find More Posts by minorcan
Old Mar 15, 2011, 06:52 AM
This helicopter smells funny
Berwick,Victoria,Australia
Joined Dec 2008
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mCP_X View Post
Hi Scotty
yes , i saw it showed both sizes , so i just mentioned it
Sorry my misunderstanding cheers scott
scottyvisco is offline Find More Posts by scottyvisco
Old Mar 15, 2011, 06:53 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,543 Posts
What's causing them to fly off? Bad screws? No locktite?
Old Mar 15, 2011, 06:59 AM
Joined Mar 2011
3 Posts
mcpx

Bearings. The man at the hobby shop couldn't figure out why the bearings give way. You have know way of knowing by looking at the heli every thing appears o.k. but once you give it power the bearings simply gives way and the blade comes flieing off.
minorcan is offline Find More Posts by minorcan
Old Mar 15, 2011, 07:03 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,543 Posts
That sucks
Need to get some Bocca bearings perhaps
Old Mar 15, 2011, 07:04 AM
This helicopter smells funny
Berwick,Victoria,Australia
Joined Dec 2008
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
What's causing them to fly off? Bad screws? No locktite?
If i am reading the posts right it seems that there is more failure of bearings than feathering shaft screws coming undone. with the bearings they seem to loose the ball alignment ring or it flexes out enough for the balls to move together and the bearing pulls apart letting the blade holder fly off . we almost need another thread so people can post the cause of these failures so we can all see what the main problem is.
scottyvisco is offline Find More Posts by scottyvisco
Old Mar 15, 2011, 07:32 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
Which way around were the bearings that failed? Was the brass retaining ring closest to the main shaft?

I think the theory is that the ball cage (which spaces the balls around the bearing) can be thrown out by centrifugal force, allowing the balls to bunch up on one side of the bearing, which leaves enough space for the inner and outer to separate.

The bearing is designed to take a reasonable axial load, but not to be spun around at high speed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_bearing#Conrad
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Mar 15, 2011, 08:13 AM
Areoplain Chapmion Flire
Melbourne Australia
Joined Aug 2010
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyvisco View Post
If i am reading the posts right it seems that there is more failure of bearings than feathering shaft screws coming undone. with the bearings they seem to loose the ball alignment ring or it flexes out enough for the balls to move together and the bearing pulls apart letting the blade holder fly off . we almost need another thread so people can post the cause of these failures so we can all see what the main problem is.

I've not lost a screw of the two times it's happened to me. Both times the bearings fell apart. I do not know what way they were facing the blades/screw. Both times the feathering shaft was intact. My brother has also had two bearings fail AND he's had the screw come loose once.
Mister Gun is offline Find More Posts by Mister Gun
Old Mar 15, 2011, 08:27 AM
Heli Nut
United States, NY, Watertown
Joined Mar 2011
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taterb View Post
First of all, I have only hovered and a little easy flying around. Nothing really hard like I see in a lot of the videos!

I got the MCPx this afternoon and love the way it flies, but I seem to have somethnig set wrong or there is something wrong with the bird.
I have bound the MCPx to my DX7 and have the settings per the manual. When I get it to fly is seems stable and I can control it fairly well.
When I punch it to go up fast, or even sometimes an energic takeoff, the blue light starts flashing and it starts coming down like the battery was at LVCO. At other times, if I hit TH the moter stops (it should) but the Blue light starts flashing and when I flip TH off the moter still will not run.

In order to recover in either case, I disconnect the battery and reconnect it, the light goes solid and I can fly again. I never know when the battery is at LVCO or what. I put them back on the charger and it doesn't take long for them to get to the "almost done" stage (like they weren't really discharged).

I have gone through several cycles of fly, charge on each of the 6 batterys I have.

Has anyone else seen this or have a guess what I can do to get it working. I'd really like to get more the a few min. at a time if I do more then just hover and do very easy moves.
How long are you flying before this starts happening?
I only get about 3 minutes of flight per charge. Which is of course the expected flight time. I'm just wondering if your breaching that time frame without noticing.
ESylin is offline Find More Posts by ESylin
Last edited by ESylin; Mar 15, 2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 09:37 AM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
So what are the main/common issues with this heli?

Bearings
Lack of locktite

????
These mcp x's like to throw links on a crash and the main gear usually twists and or comes loose on the main shaft besides the bearing problem.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Mar 15, 2011, 09:42 AM
Heli Nut
Joined Mar 2011
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
These mcp x's like to throw links on a crash and the main gear usually twists and or comes loose on the main shaft besides the bearing problem.
Also the tail rotor will lose pitch. But that's described in the troubleshooting in the manual.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 09:50 AM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
I thought my tail was losing pitch, had some nasty tail problems where all of a sudden the tail just goes into a wicked piro and crashes and would do a slow piro on full throttle up, turned out Hydropyro found that in the travel adjust menu, you have to move the throttle stick up past 50% to change the positive pitch value, this seemed to have solved the problem and flys way better now, just needed to turn the servo links 4 turns ccw to get it to hover just above 50% throttle.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:34 AM
Heli Nut
Joined Mar 2011
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
I thought my tail was losing pitch, had some nasty tail problems where all of a sudden the tail just goes into a wicked piro and crashes and would do a slow piro on full throttle up, turned out Hydropyro found that in the travel adjust menu, you have to move the throttle stick up past 50% to change the positive pitch value, this seemed to have solved the problem and flys way better now, just needed to turn the servo links 4 turns ccw to get it to hover just above 50% throttle.
Yeah.. my tail was not staying put even in a hover. Constant ccw drift. I twisted the tail rotor to add pitch, and it came right back to that happy stable hover.

Where is your stick for inverted hover after changing the link length?

I brought both sides closer to center by using a bit of an S in my pitch curve.