HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:55 AM
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d astronaut View Post
If you have a spare $3.99, this video here is welllll worth the money. All of the info in the video is in this thread but it will help you quite a bit. It covers every aspect of the mcpx and has been a very valuable tool even in my larger helis.
++10 ...gonna get a few of their other episodes too especially about setups/tips/tricks/flying tips....still learning thou..he he
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:48 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,683 Posts
Well, better late to the party than never, right?

With the mCPX BNF so low in price, I figured it was time to finally pick one up. Been flying the Nano for a few months and now I'm looking forward to learning to fly a CP on something a little bigger. I like being able to fly different sizes of the same class of heli. Adds variation and kind of mixes is up a bit.

My bird arrives tomorrow.
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:03 PM
Joined Aug 2012
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post

With the mCPX BNF so low in price, I figured it was time to finally pick one up. Been flying the Nano for a few months and now I'm looking forward to learning to fly a CP on something a little bigger. I like being able to fly different sizes of the same class of heli. Adds variation and kind of mixes is up a bit.

I have both and got the nano first and I love my mcpx. I got it on a whim when they were on sale for black friday and it is a lot different from the nano. If you solder make a longer, solid tail boom, if you don't, buy the one they offer, the stock tail blows out.
Greg Head is offline Find More Posts by Greg Head
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:07 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Head View Post
I have both and got the nano first and I love my mcpx. I got it on a whim when they were on sale for black friday and it is a lot different from the nano. If you solder make a longer, solid tail boom, if you don't, buy the one they offer, the stock tail blows out.
Hey Greg!

Yeah, I've actually got a solid mCPX tail boom already. I got one last year when I was thinking about doing a brushless mSRX (still thinking but it's not a high priority right now). Now I'll put it on the new mCPX.

I LOVE all of the different blade, skids, and canopy options available for this heli. I've got years of posts and product inventory to explore now....lol!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:25 AM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,281 Posts
I picked the MCPX for all the aftermarket options as well. Building it my way just appeals to me, gives me options as my skills sharpen?

Regarding the "blow out" issue? Mine started doing that on occasion while just messing around in the garage? All stock, but I wondered if my throttle and pitch curves might be causing it? Sure enough, I was able to get it dialed out by backing off a little on the 75% and 100% settings in the pitch curve? Still has plenty of punch (for me), without overwhelming the tail rotor.

I did manage finally manage to break the tail boom. Will be replacing that with the "long" version soon.
ahicks is online now Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:55 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,683 Posts
Oooooh. Just opened the box to check it out. My Nano's bigger cousin.

The swash is nice and level. Bound fine to my DX6i. Looks like 0 pitch at mid stick. Did a quick servo and motor test on the bench and all looks like it's good. Now it's time to charge up the batteries and do some flying later (when the kids are in bed first, lol!)

I think I'll start with the bullet blades. That's what I've got on my Nanos for indoor flying right now, so since I'm going to maiden this heli indoors, I'll put on the more stable blades.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:39 PM
Joined Aug 2011
717 Posts
Quote:
Oooooh. Just opened the box to check it out. My Nano's bigger cousin.

The swash is nice and level. Bound fine to my DX6i. Looks like 0 pitch at mid stick. Did a quick servo and motor test on the bench and all looks like it's good. Now it's time to charge up the batteries and do some flying later (when the kids are in bed first, lol!)

I think I'll start with the bullet blades. That's what I've got on my Nanos for indoor flying right now, so since I'm going to maiden this heli indoors, I'll put on the more stable blades.
glad for your new bird robo......Currently my bird also on the bullet blade but not the stock bullet...Im using the turnigy FBL 100 main blades...no worries for main blades....next myb gonna try the V922's blades
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:56 PM
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Jul 2012
251 Posts
Quote:

Congrats. Love mine, flyes like a big heli when you fly back to back with the Nano. lol
I love my Nano and its very quickly becoming my favorite heli.
Rich Knapp is offline Find More Posts by Rich Knapp
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:02 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,683 Posts
Just flew it through its maiden flight on the regular blades, stock tail, and stock battery and kept it in standard mode. I like it!! It flies really smoothly and slow circuits are really easy. The tail held really well but it did start wagging a little bit at the end of the 4 minute flight.

Time to get some of those 300mAh Nanotechs.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:30 PM
Joined Aug 2012
546 Posts
Quote:
Just flew it through its maiden flight on the regular blades, stock tail, and stock battery and kept it in standard mode. I like it!! It flies really smoothly and slow circuits are really easy. The tail held really well but it did start wagging a little bit at the end of the 4 minute flight.

Time to get some of those 300mAh Nanotechs.
+1 in the nanotechs, I just got some in the mail and they make a difference. Then again my stock batteries were kind run down.
Greg Head is offline Find More Posts by Greg Head
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:38 PM
Joined Aug 2011
717 Posts
Prolong your batt's life by charging it by 1C. I charged my 200mah stock with 0.2 and the nano 300mah with 0.3.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:44 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,683 Posts
I thought the nanotech batteries could do 2C charging without a problem.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:53 PM
Joined Aug 2011
717 Posts
Quote:
I thought the nanotech batteries could do 2C charging without a problem.
actually it can....max is 5C......its just my way of preserving my batts for a longer usage.
Last edited by CPMBOY; Feb 20, 2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:53 AM
It's the Crack
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Feb 2013
355 Posts
Not sure if anyone posted about this yet, but the MCPX BL landing gear appears to actually fit.

I won't say I didn't need a .32 gram empty gum wrapper as a spacer, but other than that, it's about 100 times as tough as the old ones. A huge improvement. I'm also pretty sure tons of folks could mod it to hold a 1s much more elegantly than my electrical tape and gum wrapper prototype.. Also had to clean a servo strip tonight, and finished up installing micro heli titanium main shaft, swash, head and blade grips.. (with double spacers, the .75mm and the stockers). Other than needing to throw a light sand on the kbdd (pilot's choice) 2.05 gram blades, it flies and tracks so much more precisely..

I went through 6 pairs of landing gear the other day (also kbdd) - they are garbage like stock v1/v2.. The BLH3905's are incredibly rugged, have the same pin spacing, and don't seem to break easily (at all). Landing gear seem to be the only thing I break regularly now

Cyclic response is much more crisp with the MH stuff and the shaft spins true even after a couple of hard bangs munching the main gear.. That's my next weak spot

Peter
peterdawolf is offline Find More Posts by peterdawolf
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:32 AM
Team Mulikow
Joined May 2007
920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMBOY View Post
actually it can....max is 5C......its just my way of preserving my batts for a longer usage.
Charging at 2-5C isn't going to affect the life of your batteries as much as things like:

Storing them fully charged Or even charging the night before you fly.
Over charging
Over Discharging
Discharging at a higher C rating than recommended

There is quite a bit of debate on the battery thread about charging faster than 1C, and the Guru of batteries over there always posts his graphs as proof that the faster charging doesn't actually reduce the life. He has actually been charging his batts before they were rated at 2-5C with great results.
Zeta30 is offline Find More Posts by Zeta30