SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:45 PM
Team Mulikow
Joined May 2007
920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Many thanks for the replies! It is a new one.

So as a senior, I am officially calling it a DUH!!! moment....
The trims were not centered, and I knew that. A lesson has been learned.....

I thought I had read where the trims were not effective because of the gyro's, but apparently I didn't understand what I was reading properly, as it's now pretty apparent they are for sure!

Heli is now flying pretty well as expected. Thanks guys...
That is good news. Don't worry, we've all had those moments.

To be honest the more you tinker with the heli the more you will learn how it works and how it should be set up.
Zeta30 is offline Find More Posts by Zeta30
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:49 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,462 Posts
I just bought a second mCPX. I couldn't resist the price. I have two nano's but, just can't let go of the mCPX. I so enjoy flying it.
J_skaggs is online now Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:41 PM
Newton, NJ
Joined May 2003
1,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta30 View Post
Check the feathering spindle. If that gets bent your blades will not track well. The easy way to check this is to remove one of the blades, then take a screw driver and spin the screw that is holding the blade grip on the shaft. Watch the other blade, if the blade is moving up and down or side to side then you know the shaft is bent.
I've had significant up/down movement when spinning brand new out of the package spindle. In fact, it was roughly the same with a shaft that was visibly bent. Go figure. Don't know what I could have been doing wrong, but I suspect the grips may not be as precisely molded as they could be.
BuzzBomber is offline Find More Posts by BuzzBomber
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:52 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,608 Posts
Bent grips should have no effect, when you spin the spindle the grips are stationary.
Only the inner race of the bearing and the feathering spindle rotate.
So the grips can only wobble if the feathering spindle is bent.

Unless what you were seeing was slop in the bearings and/or a sloppy fit between the bearings and the grip, but you should be able to feel that just by twisting the grips.
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:02 PM
Newton, NJ
Joined May 2003
1,884 Posts
It doesn't make any sense, but it happens. I've even rolled the spindle on a tempered glass sheet to make sure it was indeed straight. Bearings are good. I haven't investigated further since it seems to fly fine even with the tracking out a bit.
BuzzBomber is offline Find More Posts by BuzzBomber
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:07 PM
Joined Dec 2002
16,608 Posts
Only way it could happen with a straight spindle would be it the ID of the inner race of the bearing was not concentric with its OD wher the balls run.
That should be extremely accurate, but given that the bearings are cheap ones and made in China, anything is possible.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:14 PM
Committed heli addict...
Joined Jan 2010
675 Posts
Don't confuse tracking of the blade during hover or movement with the feathering and cyclic phasing active at that moment. What you see as out of tracking may likely be what I mentioned before, phasing.

With fbl, the swash is going to be constantly making adjustments and the vibs can get it confused which causes the system to think it needs correction, even when on the ground which naturally causes phasing.

The only way to check for proper tracking is with the swash perfectly level (technically perpendicular to the main shaft) which is almost impossible to do with fbl in a hover on a micro heli.

The best option on the mcpx is to tie down the heli by the landing gear then load the rotor slightly and then check for tracking while observing that the swash is level(perpendicular to main shaft).

The orings in the head are quite soft compared to larger helis and there a lot more feathering action on the rotors. Get the mcpx up in a hover at eye level and you can see the rotor tilt serveral degrees in one direction to keep a hover. On a small heli like the mcpx, it is a necesity to have soft dampers or the heli would fly really erratic.
phoenixheli is offline Find More Posts by phoenixheli
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:18 PM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,290 Posts
Maybe swap out the blades for another set to see if that changes anything?
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:41 PM
REYNALDO
Cyprus, Nicosia
Joined Dec 2011
246 Posts
thats rigth try another blades and check also the tailboom maybe there is a little crack on it and put the extra grommet to the swashplate linkage.
rynldgalano is offline Find More Posts by rynldgalano
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:14 PM
Complete Noobie - be patient,
Joined Dec 2012
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Eve View Post
Yes, it appears the problem was with the loose rod. I got hovering down, but I noticed that I can't get the heli to just hover in one spot without applying constant (minor) input from my tx. Is this a trim issue, or is it normal? The heli seems to want to constantly move forward and to the right side. I'm doing this indoors so wind is not a factor.
OK, noobee here.
New to helis. Used to do planes and cars....like 25 years ago. Been reading forums, books, etc like crazy. Got a toy coax for Christmas. Pretty much got down hovering and a little scale flying (4 channel). Got bored and bought a Phoenix sim, DX6i, and now a mCPX.

I have the exact same issue, except the mCPX wants to go forward and left (about 10 o'clock.).

Rebound, checked all mechanicals on the heli (I am most comfortable with the mechanicals...more than flying).

It flies and behaves EXACTLY the same on the sim as with the real mCPX. So, last night i fugured, after reading some pros and some cons, that it must be the Tx and sub trim is required, since both the sim and the heli do the same thing.

Comments?
dznf0g is offline Find More Posts by dznf0g
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:19 PM
Joined Dec 2002
16,608 Posts
MCPx should fly hands off in a hover (for a few seconds at least)

Usually if it is drifting it is because it was not put down soon enough after connecting the battery for it to properly initialize the gyros.

If you are using the DX6i make sure you are bound in the correct "computer transmitter" mode.

Pat MacKenzie
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:32 PM
Complete Noobie - be patient,
Joined Dec 2012
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
MCPx should fly hands off in a hover (for a few seconds at least)

Usually if it is drifting it is because it was not put down soon enough after connecting the battery for it to properly initialize the gyros.

If you are using the DX6i make sure you are bound in the correct "computer transmitter" mode.

Pat MacKenzie
Thanks for the reply, Pat. I will TRIPLE check the binding, but I am sure it was done correctly both times...(manual in hand). I always set the bird down after battery connection (with Tx on), wait till blue light is on solid and I hear the "buzzing" start.

Again, the mCPX in the sim (using the same model setup on the DX6i) does exactly the same thing. That excludes the possibility of a mis-bind, doesn't it?
dznf0g is offline Find More Posts by dznf0g
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:38 PM
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
mcpx has a pretty stable hover. just replaced my main motor, decided to get some flights outside, I have the extended tail boom on it but man, if I get close to the ground and have to use anything near full cyclic, the tail just doesn't hold and then it messes me up, especially if im inverted, this thing is probably just gonna sit on the shelf, I like my nano better, at least the tail holds well. I can flip my nano and hold it upside down pretty good for a 3d heli noob, not this thing. I just gotta get some nano spindles and it will be back up. Frustrating, end of rant. Does anyone have any modified tx settings that may keep the tail from blowing out? like a reduced pitch curve to help keep the head speed up?
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:40 PM
Joined Dec 2002
16,608 Posts
The sim might also need to be calibrated.

There are couple of things you can think about.

1 - Unlike the Coax a single rotor heli has to be leaning a bit to the right to counter the thrust of the tail rotor. You might be trying to hold it level.

2- If you are flying below eye level then the disk is not flat to you. You might be trying to get it to look flat, which would mean it is actually leaning forward.

In other words it could be your perception of what level is, rather than a problem with the heli or radio.
This is a common problem with fixed wing models or helis up higher where you tend to fly rolled toward yourself in level flight.

Pat MacKenzie
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:49 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy4129 View Post
mcpx has a pretty stable hover. just replaced my main motor, decided to get some flights outside, I have the extended tail boom on it but man, if I get close to the ground and have to use anything near full cyclic, the tail just doesn't hold and then it messes me up, especially if im inverted, this thing is probably just gonna sit on the shelf, I like my nano better, at least the tail holds well. I can flip my nano and hold it upside down pretty good for a 3d heli noob, not this thing. I just gotta get some nano spindles and it will be back up. Frustrating, end of rant. Does anyone have any modified tx settings that may keep the tail from blowing out? like a reduced pitch curve to help keep the head speed up?
I have the same trouble. Just extended the tail to 6 1/4" and lowered the pitch to 65. (book recommends 75) Will try that out and lower the pitch more if needed.
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr