HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:39 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2012
70 Posts
I've only had my MCPX for a couple of weeks and I've been having a hard time unplugging the flight battery from the heli. I feel like I might accidentally pull the entire wire off the heli one day due to the amount of force needed to disconnect the flight battery. Does anyone know of a better/gentler way to disconnect the flight battery cable on the MCPX?
St.Eve is offline Find More Posts by St.Eve
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:48 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
Aphro's Avatar
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstorm100 View Post
But I already ordered ithahaha. Isn't that the way you do it with helis? Order something and then see if its what you wanted.
But how do you like those blades and canopies? Got some of those coming also.
You will want to add some sort of cross member between the skids. It's the design not the manufacturer... Microheli and the other similarly designed carbon skids that only have those 2 screws to secure them will break on the 1st hard or slightly hard landing. There is no lateral support and the carbon fiber is brittle and will crack instead of flexing like the plastic skids do when you come down hard on the skids.

Actually, the frame and the skids look like exact copies of the Microheli product...


The canopy does look pretty sweet... let us know if it fits well and is durable.
Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:23 PM
Registered User
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
I have only had my MCPX a few weeks and the battery lead has come loose. Does anyone know of a source for replacement wire and connectors? Also does anyone know what the wire size is so I might find it on the internet?
Billwjr is online now Find More Posts by Billwjr
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:35 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
eltreato's Avatar
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billwjr View Post
I have only had my MCPX a few weeks and the battery lead has come loose. Does anyone know of a source for replacement wire and connectors? Also does anyone know what the wire size is so I might find it on the internet?
I would shoot an email to Glenn at rc-connectors.com
eltreato is offline Find More Posts by eltreato
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:45 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
eltreato's Avatar
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Head View Post
anyone have a best practice for fixing canopy pins off the frame. I have broken ones on all of my micros and am tired of switching frames. I have tried hot glue and superglue but neither last through a crash. I have heard people say that they have tried different things but am having trouble tracking down the posts.
Greg,

I ordered a tiny vise drill off ebay
[http://www.ebay.com/itm/271028826356...84.m1439.l2649
then go some orthodontic memory wire used for braces 0.020:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320921219155...84.m1439.l2649

I cut the mounts off the frame at the base, removed about a milimeter of the plastic mount pins, drilled the frame and pins then spliced then attached them with the wire and CA. It's been awesome, I've done both my MCPX and Nano this way. It's nice using the memory wire as it always bounces back. I have yet to break a canopy mount.
eltreato is offline Find More Posts by eltreato
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:17 PM
Always borking my corter
Joined Feb 2012
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltreato View Post
Greg,

I ordered a tiny vise drill off ebay
[http://www.ebay.com/itm/271028826356...84.m1439.l2649
then go some orthodontic memory wire used for braces 0.020:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320921219155...84.m1439.l2649

I cut the mounts off the frame at the base, removed about a milimeter of the plastic mount pins, drilled the frame and pins then spliced then attached them with the wire and CA. It's been awesome, I've done both my MCPX and Nano this way. It's nice using the memory wire as it always bounces back. I have yet to break a canopy mount.
Can you post some pictures? I'm having a hard time figuring out what you did.
bflan2001 is offline Find More Posts by bflan2001
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:33 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
eltreato's Avatar
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
557 Posts
I'll get a pic up tonight.
eltreato is offline Find More Posts by eltreato
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:26 PM
Registered User
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Eve View Post
I've only had my MCPX for a couple of weeks and I've been having a hard time unplugging the flight battery from the heli. I feel like I might accidentally pull the entire wire off the heli one day due to the amount of force needed to disconnect the flight battery. Does anyone know of a better/gentler way to disconnect the flight battery cable on the MCPX?
I'm not at home now to confirm for the MCPx, but on all my Blade helis I wrap the battery connector wire around the tail boom for strain relief.
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:07 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
546 Posts
eltreato +1 on the pic request. I think it makes a lot of sense to have a bendable section on the mounts but these are some tiny parts and I have fat fingers
Greg Head is offline Find More Posts by Greg Head
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:36 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
eltreato's Avatar
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
557 Posts
As promised...

...here's a picture. The wire goes in about 2 or 3mm to both the frame and the canopy mounts. It's CA'ed to each piece. The canopy mounts stick out the same distance from the frame as they did when the frame was stock.

Cheers!



PS I must admit, I didn't think of this myself I was told about this mod by Rich from Airtime RC Products, they're the ones who make the indestructible mcpx and nano skids. He recommended it when I asked if he had plans to make heli frames. He suggested music wire, I didn't feel like buying a whole roll so I ordered the orthodontic wire that has the added benefit of memory. I've since seen memory wire for sale at the local craft shop.
eltreato is offline Find More Posts by eltreato
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:44 PM
Registered User
kentucky
Joined Feb 2004
624 Posts
i fix the pins by putting a small screw into the frame where they pin broke then use heat shrink tube to attach the pin or any small rod to the screw head. I've also heard of cutting the pins in the middle on a new frame and use heat shrink tube to attache the two pieces together makes a flexable mount.
bob s is offline Find More Posts by bob s
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:42 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2012
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn McKinney View Post
I'm not at home now to confirm for the MCPx, but on all my Blade helis I wrap the battery connector wire around the tail boom for strain relief.
I tried wrapping the battery wire around the tail boom like you said but the wire isn't long enough, and even if it was, part of the wire rubs up against the small spinning gear. Any other suggestions?
St.Eve is offline Find More Posts by St.Eve
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:58 PM
Never stop being a kid.
BrundleFlyBy's Avatar
United States, CO, Manitou Springs
Joined Jan 2012
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Eve View Post
I tried wrapping the battery wire around the tail boom like you said but the wire isn't long enough, and even if it was, part of the wire rubs up against the small spinning gear. Any other suggestions?
I'm a new owner, also, and had the same concern. I've found that the wire is just long enough to allow working the battery out of the skid at an angle without straining it. With the battery hanging free, it's easier to disconnect without yanking on the wire.
BrundleFlyBy is offline Find More Posts by BrundleFlyBy
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:11 PM
Team Mulikow
Zeta30's Avatar
Joined May 2007
920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Eve View Post
I've only had my MCPX for a couple of weeks and I've been having a hard time unplugging the flight battery from the heli. I feel like I might accidentally pull the entire wire off the heli one day due to the amount of force needed to disconnect the flight battery. Does anyone know of a better/gentler way to disconnect the flight battery cable on the MCPX?
Here is how I do it. You don't have to pull on the wires at all and it is very easy.

Grip the plastic connector between your thumb and forefinger, then roller the two fingers as if you are trying to touch the two fingernail ends together. This action pushes the battery off the connector with out pulling the wires.
Zeta30 is offline Find More Posts by Zeta30
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:29 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2012
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta30 View Post
Here is how I do it. You don't have to pull on the wires at all and it is very easy.

Grip the plastic connector between your thumb and forefinger, then roller the two fingers as if you are trying to touch the two fingernail ends together. This action pushes the battery off the connector with out pulling the wires.
Thanks for the tip. So you're doing this with the battery removed from the battery holder and not in the holder?
St.Eve is offline Find More Posts by St.Eve
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Blade mCP X BNF Heli... ChuckTseeker Micro Helis 15422 Yesterday 10:54 PM
Discussion Blade mCP X Discuss anything thread A Rdnek Micro Helis 457 Jul 26, 2011 11:34 PM
Discussion The New BLADE mCP X Has Arrived... ChuckTseeker Electric Heli Talk 38 Mar 27, 2011 07:35 PM
Discussion new blade mcp X anyone know anything new. epoweredrc Atlanta Area RC 6 Mar 16, 2011 08:14 PM
Discussion Blade mCP x - strictly on topic Q and A thread jdog83 Micro Helis 58 Feb 07, 2011 02:28 PM