HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:51 PM
Registered User
3d astronaut's Avatar
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
I am posting here as a "prospective" owner,lol. I am buying one today from a fellow on Ebay. I am adding this to my fleet sort of out of order, as my whole approach to heli flying has been. Anyway, hoping this will in some way get me ready to try my 450 someday. Looking foreward to trying this little birdie out. If anyone has an opinion, is this easier/more forgiving than the Nano?
I went a very similar route. I started with the mcx2 then jumped to the mcpx. Big leap but it has paid of nicely. I gained enough skill and confidence with my mcpx that my buddy let me fly his trex 600 nitro. He asked me if I wanted to fly it mind you. After that I was hooked. I built a 450 and found that the bigger size heli was for me. I honestly wont say much about the nano as my opinion is a bit tainted of it but I highly recommend the mcpx to anyone looking to start off with a CP heli. The mcpx with its under powered motor will force you to learn collective management and that is worth its weight in gold. I cant imagine trying to learn orientation on the nano as I have a hard enough time seeing the mcpx. I dont need anything smaller
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:12 PM
Registered User
Tom_1971's Avatar
Italy
Joined Jun 2008
379 Posts
Does anyone uses this adapter to charge 6 lipos at a time?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=18867
As far as I understand it puts the batteries in parallel i. e. charger has to be set for 1s 6x current, right? Doing this I'm afraid the charge stops when the first battery reaches full charge despite of the others. I'm wondering why not connecting the batteries together as it was a 6s pack, using both charging leads and balancing leads. In this way all the batteries should be charged and balanced to the same voltage as they actually belonged to the same pack. Does it make sense?
Tom_1971 is online now Find More Posts by Tom_1971
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:20 PM
Registered User
3d astronaut's Avatar
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_1971 View Post
Does anyone uses this adapter to charge 6 lipos at a time?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=18867
As far as I understand it puts the batteries in parallel i. e. charger has to be set for 1s 6x current, right? Doing this I'm afraid the charge stops when the first battery reaches full charge despite of the others. I'm wondering why not connecting the batteries together as it was a 6s pack, using both charging leads and balancing leads. In this way all the batteries should be charged and balanced to the same voltage as they actually belonged to the same pack. Does it make sense?
This one? Using it as we speak I charge mine on 1s with 6 packs hooked up. You have to make sure the packs are all around a similar voltage before charging. Works perfect!

Once they charge, I can pull each pack and check voltages and they are all 4.2v
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:34 PM
Registered User
KevinBuckley70's Avatar
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudflying View Post
This one? Using it as we speak I charge mine on 1s with 6 packs hooked up. You have to make sure the packs are all around a similar voltage before charging. Works perfect!

Once they charge, I can pull each pack and check voltages and they are all 4.2v
I also have something similar for parallel charging - effectively it's the same as charging a 1s4p pack (or whatever). Works just fine. In fact, I have separate, multi-pack charger leads for my MCX2 (1s), mCPx (1s), 130x (2s) & 450x (3s).

In that picture, are you simultaneously charging packs of different capacity? I'm not an expert but if so, I wouldn't think that is wise as you would either overcharge (or overcurrent) the smaller packs or undercharge the bigger ones?
KevinBuckley70 is offline Find More Posts by KevinBuckley70
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:27 PM
Registered User
BuzzBomber's Avatar
Newton, NJ
Joined May 2003
1,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2tw4all View Post
Wow aside from the canopy that is the complete opposite of my nano experience, as well as my friends who have both. My nano canopy did disintegrate pretty quickly but I've patched it up with scotch tape and now it's pretty much indestructible. EVERY time my mcpx goes in at a minimum the main gear needs to be twisted to the correct position and pushed up, and usually the links pop off and other things happen. The nano I've piled into the pavement so many times I can't even count, inverted and not, and so far all I've broken is a swashplate arm! There is absolutely NO question in my experience that the nano is far more durable. Not saying the mcpx isn't, it's amazingly durable and honestly hard to break if you fly in high grass, and the mcpx is definitely more stable and faster, but the nano is so much less intimidating since if it hits you it won't hurt you (mcpx has CUT me bad) and has so little mass you are more inclined to throw it around. I love all my birds but my nano gets used more than any of the others. Usually I'll alternate between nano and mcpx to let the motors cool. I have a brushless mcpx but I don't fly that as much since it's a tad more fragile and far from stock.

130x is awesome but a lot more intimidating than the little guys. 300x even more so! 450x is under the tree for xmas...

Tom
I was surprised too. My nano must've been made on a Friday afternoon... I've got the canopy issue under control by painting a coat of RC56 on the inside, and the spindle seems to be staying straight, but no matter how I adjust the tightness of the blades and spindle I can't quite get rid of a little tail wag. Something is causing enough vibration to blur the fin; I'm sure that's a factor but I can't see to eliminate it. My mcpx OTOH, is rock-solid unless I do fast backward or sideways flight for extended periods. Bottom line, I like the nano, but I'm glad I didn't rush to sell my mcpx.
BuzzBomber is offline Find More Posts by BuzzBomber
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:01 PM
Registered User
3d astronaut's Avatar
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBuckley70 View Post
I also have something similar for parallel charging - effectively it's the same as charging a 1s4p pack (or whatever). Works just fine. In fact, I have separate, multi-pack charger leads for my MCX2 (1s), mCPx (1s), 130x (2s) & 450x (3s).

In that picture, are you simultaneously charging packs of different capacity? I'm not an expert but if so, I wouldn't think that is wise as you would either overcharge (or overcurrent) the smaller packs or undercharge the bigger ones?
Noooo that would be bad lol. Never charge two packs of different capacity. They are the same pack (300 mah 1s nano tech) just have different leads on them. The ones with the wire lead are the 45-90c packs for the solo pro 100 that work on the mcpx if you trim off the tabs on the plug. Might I add, they add quite a bit of oomph over the 35c packs
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:41 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
pmackenzie's Avatar
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,608 Posts
You can charge packs of different capacity. Current will be shared based on pack voltage, which will end up sharing based on capacity.
They will all end up at the same voltage, which is how it should be.

In other words, if one pack gets more than its share of charge current its voltage will rise above the others.But then it will no longer take as much current. This goes on continuously, keeping all cells at the same voltage.

(I do it all the time with my larger packs using my Paraboard. Only thing you have to match is cell count. charge current is based on total of all pack capacities.)

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:59 PM
Registered User
3d astronaut's Avatar
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
You can charge packs of different capacity. Current will be shared based on pack voltage, which will end up sharing based on capacity.
They will all end up at the same voltage, which is how it should be.

In other words, if one pack gets more than its share of charge current its voltage will rise above the others.But then it will no longer take as much current. This goes on continuously, keeping all cells at the same voltage.

(I do it all the time with my larger packs using my Paraboard. Only thing you have to match is cell count. charge current is based on total of all pack capacities.)

Pat MacKenzie
Wow news to me.. I will be sticking to what I have been doing as it seems to be working. Havnt burned anything down yet thanks for the info!
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:20 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
pmackenzie's Avatar
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudflying View Post
Wow news to me.. I will be sticking to what I have been doing as it seems to be working. Havnt burned anything down yet thanks for the info!

FWIW, Lots of good info here, including charging packs of different capacity:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=parallel

Parallel charging can save tons of time and makes it easier to do things like storage charge your packs.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:37 PM
Which way is up?
stuball56's Avatar
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
I've got so many lipo's now of different voltages and mah. From 150mah 1S to 2,200mah 3S to 5,000mah packs. Packs for Planes, boats, cars/trucks/and now heli's. 5 heli's and each one uses a different battery! I don't even know how many lipo's I have now. But I have got to start recording when I use them. Right now I try to cycle through them at least once a month. The parallel adapters come in so handy for all this.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:23 AM
Registered User
KevinBuckley70's Avatar
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
FWIW, Lots of good info here, including charging packs of different capacity:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=parallel

Parallel charging can save tons of time and makes it easier to do things like storage charge your packs.

Pat MacKenzie
Wow. 73 pages just about parallel charging packs!

Interesting though - I had assumed parallel charging different capacities would cause problems but that doesn't seem to be true (but please read that thread before doing it!).
KevinBuckley70 is offline Find More Posts by KevinBuckley70
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:17 PM
Which way is up?
stuball56's Avatar
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
I got my used MCPX yesterday. I think it has a bad motor. When I give it just a little throttle to get the blades spinning it sounds like it is really trying to turn but it doesn't. Then when I give it I'd say at least 1/4 throttle the blades start spinning with a good jerk. Also when I turn the main gear manualy it is quite hard, quite a bit harder than on my 120 SR. Just doesnt seem right, and when it takes off it is not controllable either. I am bummed
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:21 PM
Registered User
KevinBuckley70's Avatar
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
I got my used MCPX yesterday. I think it has a bad motor. When I give it just a little throttle to get the blades spinning it sounds like it is really trying to turn but it doesn't. Then when I give it I'd say at least 1/4 throttle the blades start spinning with a good jerk. Also when I turn the main gear manualy it is quite hard, quite a bit harder than on my 120 SR. Just doesnt seem right, and when it takes off it is not controllable either. I am bummed
It is quite hard to turn it by hand. But I don't think 1/4 throttle is correct.
KevinBuckley70 is offline Find More Posts by KevinBuckley70
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:52 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
pmackenzie's Avatar
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,608 Posts
The jerky start is normal with the mcpx.
Strong magnets and a lot of cogging in the motor.

"Not controllable" might be a pilot related issue

What transmitter are you using, and does everything move the right way?
Also check that the main gear is all the way up and there is no up and down play in the main shaft.
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:05 PM
Which way is up?
stuball56's Avatar
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Using a DX6i with the settings from the manual. My 120 SR motor is not this hard to turn by hand, and it feels alot smoother as well. Shouldnt this motor feel very similar? At least not harder to turn? When it does lift off it shoots off immediately to the side. I will take a short video to better show it.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Blade mCP X BNF Heli... ChuckTseeker Micro Helis 15422 Aug 19, 2014 10:54 PM
Discussion Blade mCP X Discuss anything thread A Rdnek Micro Helis 457 Jul 26, 2011 11:34 PM
Discussion The New BLADE mCP X Has Arrived... ChuckTseeker Electric Heli Talk 38 Mar 27, 2011 07:35 PM
Discussion new blade mcp X anyone know anything new. epoweredrc Atlanta Area RC 6 Mar 16, 2011 08:14 PM
Discussion Blade mCP x - strictly on topic Q and A thread jdog83 Micro Helis 58 Feb 07, 2011 02:28 PM