HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:42 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,547 Posts
There are always interactions between roll inputs and yaw inputs.

In order to stay in one spot the main rotor has to provide a side force equal to the force the tail makes to counter the main rotor torque.
This always causes the heli to fly slightly tilted to the right, and means when you change the tail rotor speed to yaw the lateral forces are no longer balanced as well.

This is not just for the MCPx, but is true for all helis. (Except If the rotation of the main rotor is reversed then the lean will be the other way )

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:18 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jun 2008
1,157 Posts
This is not the case for my 450 size heli's or it is virtually unnoticeable.

My FB and FBL 450 heli's may exhibit a mild tilt, but i can piro them slow or fast and I really don't have to counter anything at all. After doing a 360 piro, they are still pretty close to where the started the piro.

The mcpx is not turning anywhere near in one place. It basically will will go off in another direction when i piro.

I have got the extended tail boom on there, but the CG seems to be ok.

It seems to be tilting to the back when it spins. I'm going to add a little up elevator in sub trim before turning the link and see if it makes a difference. I just don't recall it being that dramatic when I first got the mcpx.
richord is online now Find More Posts by richord
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:23 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,547 Posts
They all lean, just some more than others.
I will agree on the fast piros with a 450, they do it very easy.
S-l-o-w piros take more work, and one way requires different inputs than the other.

The trick with the MCPx might be to take out the lean just before you piro?
Not sure, I like to do them slow as possible to work on flying at different orientations.
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:16 PM
United States, RI, Smithfield
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richord View Post
How is the tail holding on the nano compared to the mcpx? I'm sure the smaller and lighter these things get, the less likely they will break, especially over soft grass.

My only 2 concerns would be power and tail holding in 3D.

Other than that, simply being able to track it in flight due to size.

The mcpx is great for practice. I could go brushless for more power, but higher risk of damage during crashes. I'm just not sure the tail will hold any better if I mod the tail.

I certainly do favor mech. tails over elec. tails.
I don't do hard 3d yet, but since it's the same tail motor and blade as on the mcpx, and the heli is much smaller and lighter than the mcpx, I don't believe you can easily blow it out. I asked James Haley about the nano before it came out when I was at the US Horizon Air Meet, basically I point blank asked him why get it over the mcpx, his immediate answer was actually a question, "does your tail blow out on the mcpx stock setup?" and immediately he followed up with "it won't on the nano"...

Tom
d2tw4all is offline Find More Posts by d2tw4all
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:32 AM
United States, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Aug 2012
134 Posts
with stock motor would the cf frame work or would the weight be too much? I just hate to rebuild this helli when I break the canopy pins off.
fooferdoggie is offline Find More Posts by fooferdoggie
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:34 AM
Joined Mar 2012
84 Posts
I have the first version mcpx and its been on the shelf for a while but I really miss it. Problem is when I'm flying it has some sort of glitch every once in a while. I'll lose it for a split second and then it comes back. Sometimes it's intermittent some times it will do it three or four times in a row real quick. Sometimes I lose it all together and sometimes it doesn't happen at all. I've done a lot of surgery on this thing in the past but I've looked it over and over, every little connection and everything looks solid....I started thinking it may be a battery issue because I felt like it was happening more with one battery instead of the others but I don't think it's a battery issue. I just don't see how most/all 9 of my batteries would go bad all at the same time. So jus wanted to see what you guys think the signal loss sounds like. Sounds like bad wire somewhere to me but I've replace all that to. Anyways thanks for any advice. Just wanna give it one more shot before I eBay it for parts.
BeefKopter is offline Find More Posts by BeefKopter
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:40 AM
Team Mulikow
Joined May 2007
920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefKopter View Post
I have the first version mcpx and its been on the shelf for a while but I really miss it. Problem is when I'm flying it has some sort of glitch every once in a while. I'll lose it for a split second and then it comes back. Sometimes it's intermittent some times it will do it three or four times in a row real quick. Sometimes I lose it all together and sometimes it doesn't happen at all. I've done a lot of surgery on this thing in the past but I've looked it over and over, every little connection and everything looks solid....I started thinking it may be a battery issue because I felt like it was happening more with one battery instead of the others but I don't think it's a battery issue. I just don't see how most/all 9 of my batteries would go bad all at the same time. So jus wanted to see what you guys think the signal loss sounds like. Sounds like bad wire somewhere to me but I've replace all that to. Anyways thanks for any advice. Just wanna give it one more shot before I eBay it for parts.
Can you be a bit more specific on what you mean by Lose it? Do you mean that it loses power and falls to the ground or do you mean you lose all input control but the rotor is still powered up?
Zeta30 is offline Find More Posts by Zeta30
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:53 AM
Joined Mar 2012
84 Posts
I'd say its a power loss. Or signal loss. It just loses any power for a split second. But it's so fast that I can usually keep it the air. I seems like a wire or solder issue to me. I guess if could be the board too
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:14 PM
Team Mulikow
Joined May 2007
920 Posts
Quote:
I'd say its a power loss. Or signal loss. It just loses any power for a split second. But it's so fast that I can usually keep it the air. I seems like a wire or solder issue to me. I guess if could be the board too
It could be the battery connector. It's pretty common for the wire on the connector to wear out where is attaches to the connector especially if you pull the plug by the wire nod not the plastic connector. When it starts to wear out it will intermittently lose then regain power.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:19 PM
Joined Mar 2012
84 Posts
Mcpx glitch (0 min 59 sec)

I was able to get a video of it real quick. Happens at :31 and :52 . I know my batteries are definitely toast after this tho. They've been sitting and lasted about a minute each a second ago lol
Last edited by BeefKopter; Oct 07, 2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:24 PM
Joined Mar 2012
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta30 View Post
It could be the battery connector. It's pretty common for the wire on the connector to wear out where is attaches to the connector especially if you pull the plug by the wire nod not the plastic connector. When it starts to wear out it will intermittently lose then regain power.
That was my first thought before I benched it a month ago so I change out the connector altogether and it was still doing it. Made me think it was the board so i just threw it in the corner and haven't touched it til today. So im pretty sure I tried that before giving up but i may switch it out again today see what happens.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:43 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,454 Posts
Yesterday I crashed my mCPX which resulted in a slight vibration. I replaced all the usual parts associated with vibration, FS, links, etc.. I was going crazy trying to figure it out. By accident, I found that one of the lead weights had fallen out of one of the bullets on one of the blades. I replaced the blades and magically all vibration was gone. Just thought I'd pass this on in case it might help someone else.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:57 PM
Team Mulikow
Joined May 2007
920 Posts
Quote:

I was able to get a video of it real quick. Happens at :31 and :52 . I know my batteries are definitely toast after this tho. They've been sitting and lasted about a minute each a second ago lol
After watching your vid it looks like more of a glitch than a damaged connector wire. I can't offer much help there other than rebinding the TX with the heli, you probably already tried that though.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:24 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jun 2008
1,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2tw4all View Post
I don't do hard 3d yet, but since it's the same tail motor and blade as on the mcpx, and the heli is much smaller and lighter than the mcpx, I don't believe you can easily blow it out. I asked James Haley about the nano before it came out when I was at the US Horizon Air Meet, basically I point blank asked him why get it over the mcpx, his immediate answer was actually a question, "does your tail blow out on the mcpx stock setup?" and immediately he followed up with "it won't on the nano"...

Tom
Thanks. That makes sense.

I did replace the tail boom and motor on my mcpx and it seemed to fix my tail blowouts. Haven't tried flipping it since I replaced it, but hard pitch pumps barely move the tail at all now, so I'm happy with it again. I'm using the extended tail boom with larger tail rotor blade.

I considered getting a 130X but I'm geting decent with the 450 now, so I may pass on it.

The nano may be something I consider, mainly for use in the house.

But for now, I'm just glad my mcpx is working good for pratice again.

I have to put my stock blades on again. I have a stock setup and I tried the KBDD main blades and I think I gained some stability and control, but sacrified some power in the collective range.
richord is online now Find More Posts by richord
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:39 AM
Flying the Spyder
United States, PA, Parkesburg
Joined Mar 2008
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglescry24 View Post
Just tried a 7a brushless esc and converter all in one with a 11kpv inrunner motor. It seems like it's drawing too much power. It flew for a little while then the board blue light turned off and the chopper fell. I fealt the batt and was fairly warm. Any suggestions?

I like the stability of the stock setup. This apparently has something wrong.
eaglescry24 is offline Find More Posts by eaglescry24