HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:00 PM
Beating air into submission!
GrahamWilson's Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
1,855 Posts
I have issues with a new v2 board on my MCPX. Sent tne board back and they replaced it for me, no charge.. Now my MCPX flies very stable and no tail problems.
GrahamWilson is offline Find More Posts by GrahamWilson
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:53 PM
Registered User
barnstorm100's Avatar
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richord View Post
I burnt my tail fet when my tail wires shorted.

The symptom was smoke and the tail motor just kept on running.

I replaced the fet and now I have rudder in only one direction and not the other. The tail stops when I input left rudder, but right rudder accelerated the tail in the correct direction.

Is there a 2nd tail fet? If so, which one is it?

If not, any other thoughts?
That's working right. The torque from the main rotor makes it turn the other direction.
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:04 PM
Registered User
barnstorm100's Avatar
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,821 Posts
Metal swash plate for mCPx

After I broke one of the balls off the stock swash I replaced it with a MicrHeli swash plate. It seems to have a lot of slop in it now. Does anybody here have the same problem? Also the servos have some play in them now. I don't have a new one to compare it to. It still flies good with all the play in everything but I don't understand how.
I've stopped crashing all the time when flying inverted(4 new Spider batteries so I ordered a stock swash plate to see if it make a difference.
I had 4 of the NanoTech batts and the two stock batteries, all went out at the same time, about 30 cycles It seem all of these 1s battereis don't last long no matter what they go in. I've had them for a lot of other helis with the same short life problem.
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:16 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jun 2008
1,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstorm100 View Post
That's working right. The torque from the main rotor makes it turn the other direction.
Yes, but after inputting left rudder and going to neutral rudder, the tail motor stops.

Maybe I'll just take it up in the air and see what happens...
richord is online now Find More Posts by richord
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:21 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jun 2008
1,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richord View Post
Yes, but after inputting left rudder and going to neutral rudder, the tail motor stops.

Maybe I'll just take it up in the air and see what happens...
Son of a B... It works like new. Maybe even a tad better.

Guess it just didn't need to compensate on the ground with a low head speed when I tested it.

Thanks.
richord is online now Find More Posts by richord
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:34 PM
Registered User
United States, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Aug 2012
202 Posts
All I have done is cracked two tail booms and dented the first set if blades. Worth getting a tail upgrade ?
fooferdoggie is offline Find More Posts by fooferdoggie
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:47 PM
Registered User
barnstorm100's Avatar
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie View Post
All I have done is cracked two tail booms and dented the first set if blades. Worth getting a tail upgrade ?
My opinion yes. I cut my tail to 135mm and holds good with collective management.
I used a flybar from an old walkera #4 and its the right diameter. One is enough to make two flybars.
Or do you mean a different motor?
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:36 AM
Registered User
BladeUp's Avatar
Joined Feb 2011
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstorm100 View Post
My opinion yes..
This off topic but I've got to ask, what bike is in your photo? Bultaco? Love it!
BladeUp is offline Find More Posts by BladeUp
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:28 AM
Registered User
United States, MA, Rutland
Joined Oct 2011
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstorm100 View Post
After I broke one of the balls off the stock swash I replaced it with a MicrHeli swash plate. It seems to have a lot of slop in it now. Does anybody here have the same problem?
I use the MH aluminum swash - it's very tight. You can adjust the balls on it, but I just ended up using the rubber grommets as on the stock. By "slop" to you mean up and down play or something else?
ScottGridley is offline Find More Posts by ScottGridley
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:27 PM
Registered User
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstorm100 View Post
After I broke one of the balls off the stock swash I replaced it with a MicrHeli swash plate. It seems to have a lot of slop in it now. Does anybody here have the same problem? Also the servos have some play in them now. I don't have a new one to compare it to. It still flies good with all the play in everything but I don't understand how.
I've stopped crashing all the time when flying inverted(4 new Spider batteries so I ordered a stock swash plate to see if it make a difference.
I had 4 of the NanoTech batts and the two stock batteries, all went out at the same time, about 30 cycles It seem all of these 1s battereis don't last long no matter what they go in. I've had them for a lot of other helis with the same short life problem.
I also installed a MH swashplate and it quickly developed a lot of slop. I went back to an OEM swashplate and have had no problems. I originally went to a MH swashplate because, the balls kept breaking. I stopped breaking the swashplate balls but, started breaking swashplate linkages and main shafts because, the energy was just transferred to those parts. I went back to the OEM swashplate when the MH swashplate developed slop after about 25 flights.I had similar issues when I replaced the OEM main shaft with the MH solid main shaft. I didn't break shafts but, I started bending feathering shafts and damaging rotor hubs. My experience with so called upgrade parts has not been positive. I keep all my heli's stock and all is well. Upgrade parts might look nice but, in my opinion they just add unnecessary cost and heli's are expensive enough already.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:44 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jun 2008
1,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
I also installed a MH swashplate and it quickly developed a lot of slop. I went back to an OEM swashplate and have had no problems. I originally went to a MH swashplate because, the balls kept breaking. I stopped breaking the swashplate balls but, started breaking swashplate linkages and main shafts because, the energy was just transferred to those parts. I went back to the OEM swashplate when the MH swashplate developed slop after about 25 flights.I had similar issues when I replaced the OEM main shaft with the MH solid main shaft. I didn't break shafts but, I started bending feathering shafts and damaging rotor hubs. My experience with so called upgrade parts has not been positive. I keep all my heli's stock and all is well. Upgrade parts might look nice but, in my opinion they just add unnecessary cost and heli's are expensive enough already.
Depends on the upgrade and its intention.

I recently installed the MicroHeli Titanium feathering shaft because I got tired of bending them easily.

So, far its held up well in crashes and nothing else on the head broke.

From my experience thus far, the MCPX, if you upgrade the feathering shaft, skids and tail boom, it will hold up pretty well in repetitive minor crashes.

Other than that, the links from the swash to the head seem to pop off, but many times can be used again. I would like to see an improvement with the links so they are not quite so loose.

Sorry to hear that about the MicroHeli swash. I was going to install one on mine.
richord is online now Find More Posts by richord
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:23 PM
You down with EPP?
johnnyrocco123's Avatar
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richord View Post
Depends on the upgrade and its intention.

I recently installed the MicroHeli Titanium feathering shaft because I got tired of bending them easily.

So, far its held up well in crashes and nothing else on the head broke.

From my experience thus far, the MCPX, if you upgrade the feathering shaft, skids and tail boom, it will hold up pretty well in repetitive minor crashes.

Other than that, the links from the swash to the head seem to pop off, but many times can be used again. I would like to see an improvement with the links so they are not quite so loose.

Sorry to hear that about the MicroHeli swash. I was going to install one on mine.
I have 110 flights on mine and only have broken a swash plate and the two front canopy pegs on the frame.

I must not be flying hard enough
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:58 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2012
11 Posts
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro_pyro View Post
I made an important discovery today...

Some pilots have reported having trouble with touchy pitch/throttle, and tail blowouts under fast punches. The manual recommends 70% travel for the pitch channel.

However, I made the mistake of setting up this travel only with the stick in the down position, which of course only changes the travel below middle stick, since the DX6i allows you to set up and down travel separately. The stick needs to be moved above center to set the "up" travel value, which was accidentally left at 100% the first time.

If the pitch travel foth BOTH up AND down are set to 70% as recommended, the tail will NOT blow out.

With up AND down pitch BOTH set to 70%, it's MUCH easier to control altitude, and the tail does NOT blow out under full positive pitch.
Thank you all so much and especially thank you for this. I didn't realize that not only my pitch, but also my aileron, elevator, and rudder were off. Yes, much less responsive pitch control if both are set to 75%.

Interestingly enough I almost had to relearn to hover after setting my travel adjustments on elevator to 75% each way, not 101% on backwards! Who would have guessed? Aileron was only off by 5%, with rudder at 70% and 100%. I think its this way so that right turns are less drastic so the tail motor doesn't have to work as hard.

Thanks especially for the pointer about EXPO, strangely enough even after flying as long as I have no one ever told me what EXPO did. So, I never messed with it. It helps a lot to lower expo when practicing nose in hovering at low D/R.

Thanks y'all!
rchelichap is offline Find More Posts by rchelichap
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:44 AM
Registered User
Orlando, Fl.
Joined Jul 2007
80 Posts
Anyone using the 120 sr rotor? I have the 120 motor on my brushless mcpx and someone suggested i use the 120 sr tail rotor with it. I read some are cutting it down a bit and wanted to know to what size if at all.

Thanks Dudes!!

I'm currently using the HM-V100D01-Z-08
jcshydros is offline Find More Posts by jcshydros
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:14 AM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2004
3,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstorm100 View Post
After I broke one of the balls off the stock swash I replaced it with a MicrHeli swash plate. It seems to have a lot of slop in it now.
Horizon has quietly changed the design of the head links:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1726205
The microheli swashplate that they sell (http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...cpx-MHEMCPX012) doesn't fit the links that they sell.
I've gone through two local dealers with complaints, but no response from Horizon. I bought up all the old style links in the area, but when I run out of them I'm not certain what I will do.
My heli would NOT track properly with the new links. Switched to some old links and it went right into track.
Come on Horizon, at least admit you are aware of the problem.
mnowell129 is offline Find More Posts by mnowell129
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Blade mCP X BNF Heli... ChuckTseeker Micro Helis 15435 Today 07:22 AM
Discussion Blade mCP X Discuss anything thread A Rdnek Micro Helis 457 Jul 26, 2011 11:34 PM
Discussion The New BLADE mCP X Has Arrived... ChuckTseeker Electric Heli Talk 38 Mar 27, 2011 07:35 PM
Discussion new blade mcp X anyone know anything new. epoweredrc Atlanta Area RC 6 Mar 16, 2011 08:14 PM
Discussion Blade mCP x - strictly on topic Q and A thread jdog83 Micro Helis 58 Feb 07, 2011 02:28 PM